Fox Footy Channel

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appalling.

It was never going to happen from day 1 of the new $1.25billion rights deal. The AFL knew exactly what the broadcast arrangements were going to be but just took the money and ran. They were also quite content to engage (along with Foxtel and 7) in a game of stealth with pay TV subscribers regarding HD coverage. Disgraceful!

Appalling.

Pretty much sums it up.

Can you imagine telling the Yanks that superbowl is going ot be recorded in HD but only shown in SD? A national embarrassment - I'm surprised someone like Stokes (who considers himself a patriot) would condone such legerdemain and chicanery.

I hate se7en. No HD is a disgrace. I never watch se7en anymore. I hope they go under.

I never watch 7 either, but I think we are in the minority judging by the ratings.

I'm stuffed if I know who has these ratings boxes?!

I emailed Fox Footy (Foxtel) in regard to their claims of the finals series being in HD. Here is the reply I got. It contains several factual errors.

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate the time you have taken to contact us regarding the AFL coverage.

Firstly I want to assure you that the FOX FOOTY HD channel is a full High Definition (HD) transmission. However there is some variability in the quality of some of the games depending on whether the game was originally filmed in HD or in Standard Definition (SD). The majority of live games broadcast each week on Foxtel are produced by FOX FOOTY in native HD, meaning they were filmed using HD cameras. The remainder of games are produced by Channel Seven who only film those games using SD cameras. This SD coverage is then up-converted to provide an HD broadcast before it is broadcast on FOX FOOTY’s HD channel. This process results in a HD broadcast, with HD quality that is superior to SD.

This is consistent with Australian broadcasting practice, including that of the free-to-air broadcasters.

FOX FOOTY will continue to provide AFL fans with unprecedented LIVE coverage, including LIVE coverage of every game of every round of the home and away season plus the entire Finals series (except the Grand Final which will be broadcast on delay), in HD and SD, and uninterrupted siren to siren. Where games clash, matches will broadcast on FOX FOOTY and FOX SPORTS 1.

Once more thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Rhiannon Lockwood

Foxtel Programming

Live crosses to AAMI in native HD tonight. Too bad the game won't be.

7's coverage continues to be a complete joke. What about the distant shot of Taylor Walker's crucial goal just before quarter time from behind two boundary umpires. During the half time break, the fox footy comentators could'nt disguise their merriment at this little doozy. Friggin amateur hour stuff from 7 again.

"What about the distant shot of Taylor Walker's crucial goal just before quarter time from behind two boundary umpires."

HAHA yes. I have a 64 inch Samsung and I could not even see the ball. It may have been a good camera angle if it was in 1920x1080i HD.

7's coverage continues to be a complete joke. What about the distant shot of Taylor Walker's crucial goal just before quarter time from behind two boundary umpires. During the half time break, the fox footy comentators could'nt disguise their merriment at this little doozy. Friggin amateur hour stuff from 7 again.

Yeah that was disgraceful, the "normal" camera shot would have shown it perfectly. And for ****s sake why do they insist on switching camera angles to the ground level cameras during live action. Just leave it on the main one, after a while you have no idea what part of the ground or which way they are going. As for sevens commentary, joke. Good thing with Mystar is I can pause the game and sync it with radio audio of my choice.

Yeah that was disgraceful, the "normal" camera shot would have shown it perfectly. And for ****s sake why do they insist on switching camera angles to the ground level cameras during live action. Just leave it on the main one, after a while you have no idea what part of the ground or which way they are going. As for sevens commentary, joke. Good thing with Mystar is I can pause the game and sync it with radio audio of my choice.

The ground level shots go on for too long every time!!! You want them to return to their normal view, but they stay on it...!..............

I thought the radio was ahead of the TV & hence prevented you from syncing it with the Foxtel broadcast?

I emailed Fox Footy (Foxtel) in regard to their claims of the finals series being in HD. Here is the reply I got. It contains several factual errors.

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate the time you have taken to contact us regarding the AFL coverage.

Firstly I want to assure you that the FOX FOOTY HD channel is a full High Definition (HD) transmission. However there is some variability in the quality of some of the games depending on whether the game was originally filmed in HD or in Standard Definition (SD). The majority of live games broadcast each week on Foxtel are produced by FOX FOOTY in native HD, meaning they were filmed using HD cameras. The remainder of games are produced by Channel Seven who only film those games using SD cameras. This SD coverage is then up-converted to provide an HD broadcast before it is broadcast on FOX FOOTY’s HD channel. This process results in a HD broadcast, with HD quality that is superior to SD.

This is consistent with Australian broadcasting practice, including that of the free-to-air broadcasters.

FOX FOOTY will continue to provide AFL fans with unprecedented LIVE coverage, including LIVE coverage of every game of every round of the home and away season plus the entire Finals series (except the Grand Final which will be broadcast on delay), in HD and SD, and uninterrupted siren to siren. Where games clash, matches will broadcast on FOX FOOTY and FOX SPORTS 1.

Once more thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Rhiannon Lockwood

Foxtel Programming

In other words "even though I've just explained how it isn't HD, we're allowed to call it HD so get stuffed"

And I'm not sure I've ever seen a FTA channel claim something that is upscaled is HD

In other words "even though I've just explained how it isn't HD, we're allowed to call it HD so get stuffed"

And I'm not sure I've ever seen a FTA channel claim something that is upscaled is HD

Correct - the 10 network are very careful with movies on One - it has to be absolutely smicko crystal clear 1080i before they will put the 'HD Movie' logo on the watermark.

And I'm not not sure I've seen anything in the last 12 month on FTA that looks hd!

I thought the radio was ahead of the TV & hence prevented you from syncing it with the Foxtel broadcast?

Have to admit I only ever do it via my iPhone using the AFL site to stream the audio, and it has always been slightly delayed allowing me to pause Fox Footy and sync it. Must be an Internet lag as I think you are correct in that if listening on a traditional radio it would be ahead. I've tried the iPhone at games I've attended and it's impossible to watch because of the lag in commentary, whereas a traditional radio is 100% "live".

Edit - I've noticed with Internet radio that when first tuning in it "buffers", maybe this is why it ends up slightly delayed??

Edited by minty

Have to admit I only ever do it via my iPhone using the AFL site to stream the audio, and it has always been slightly delayed allowing me to pause Fox Footy and sync it. Must be an Internet lag as I think you are correct in that if listening on a traditional radio it would be ahead. I've tried the iPhone at games I've attended and it's impossible to watch because of the lag in commentary, whereas a traditional radio is 100% "live".

Edit - I've noticed with Internet radio that when first tuning in it "buffers", maybe this is why it ends up slightly delayed??

Yeah you're right - tuning into online radio streams via the AFL App is perfect.

Wish I'd realised this earlier in the year. Wouldn't have had to put up with Se7en's blatantly obvious & unprofessional bias toward Eddies mob......