Saw A Samsung Plasma D8000 64" Today

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they a different colour?

I'm not 100% enthralled about the silver but in the dark I suppose it doesn't really matter!

N

How much is/was Myer selling this set for?

I saw this TV for the first time at a JB store a week ago, and I have to say I really hated the look of the 4-legged stand :( This is going to sound like a stupid question. Is there an option to choose the 6900 stand instead???

Well after umming and arring between the 65VT30 and the 64D8000 I finally pulled the trigger on the 64D8000. Also got the Skype camera, super slim wall mount, 2 x 3700 glasses, delivery, installation and extra 4 year warranty all for a total price around the likely street price of the 65VT30 by itself. It arrives next Saturday.

Edited by Felix.

Guest Dexter William

Hi Guys

First time poster here, but have been lurking for a long while now.

Bought my D8000 64 Inch from JB last Tuesday. Picked it up on the spot as it is pretty light at 50Kg. Quite surprised that they have so much stock sitting in their backroom.

HN also had stock, offered at $3500 off the bat, but did not like the attitude of this particular character, so went to JB and bought it instead.

No regrets so far. We are just getting use to the plasma presentation compared to our Sammy LA46 950 backlit LCD.

Very happy that he D8000 sound reproduction was 100 times better than my older LA46 9 series. Good work Samsung, no need for sound bar at all.

Our Foxbox IQ2 had lots of problems with it. But found the solution by putting a black sticky tape over the foxbox eye. All happy now.

Need some help:

I would like to mount it on the wall, and am hoping to be able to hide every piece of wiring behind the TV. My question is how do I hide the foxbox? I am thinking of drilling a hole on the wall and put the box in my bedroom cupboard, but how do I operate the foxbox from this side of the room?

Googling info on magic eye does not provide much of a solution as the ones specially made for the IQ1 needs a RF out to work and does not work with HD signal. Also IQ2 do not have RF out any more.

I need some kind of Infra Red signal transfer from Fox remote to "transportable" eye, and then to the foxbox in the next room. I can still hook up a 5m HDMI coming though the wall for HD signal.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dex

Edited by Dexter William

Well after umming and arring between the 65VT30 and the 64D8000 I finally pulled the trigger on the 64D8000. Also got the Skype camera, super slim wall mount, 2 x 3700 glasses, delivery, installation and extra 4 year warranty all for a total price around the likely street price of the 65VT30 by itself. It arrives next Saturday.

Good stuff Felix! You won't be disappointed!

Good stuff Felix! You won't be disappointed!

Thanks Trigg. Have you performed any kind of calibration on your set yet? I'll probably just use the Spears and Munsil disc for now but would be keen to compare settings. How does Foxtel look if you have it?

Edited by Felix.

Thanks Trigg. Have you performed any kind of calibration on your set yet? I'll probably just use the Spears and Munsil disc for now but would be keen to compare settings. How does Foxtel look if you have it?

Still running mine in. Have used some setting from AVS from memory, but will get out my calibration disc in a few weeks and tweak.

Foxtel HD is awesome on this unit as is the Oppo BDP93. Running TIVO as my FTA box and it seems to do a better job than the inbuilt tuner IMO.

Hi Guys

I would like to mount it on the wall, and am hoping to be able to hide every piece of wiring behind the TV. My question is how do I hide the foxbox? I am thinking of drilling a hole on the wall and put the box in my bedroom cupboard, but how do I operate the foxbox from this side of the room?

<snip>

I need some kind of Infra Red signal transfer from Fox remote to "transportable" eye, and then to the foxbox in the next room. I can still hook up a 5m HDMI coming though the wall for HD signal.

Dex, maybe look at grabbing a Harmony 900 (RF remote) with some IR blasters?

I've had my 64" for a few days now. Initial impressions are very positive. I'll need to live with it for at least a week or two before I can give a definitive opinion.

The sharpness was ridiculous out of the box but thankfully it looks much better when dropped down to 0-10. Black level is very good - bordering on spectacular.

Edited by AndrewWilliams

Guest Dexter William
Dex, maybe look at grabbing a Harmony 900 (RF remote) with some IR blasters?

Thanks Diesel.

I bought the Powemid Xl which works fine.

Used the AVS calibration which turns out lovely. I reduced the colour quite a bit which I refer.

No buzzing from where I sit at 2.5 to 3m on a quiet night.

So far very happy with the purchase via foxtel IQ2 box.

Just need to mount it on the wall now.

Any negative on the Samsung (photo hanger style) wall mount for the 64 inch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is the above the real deal or copy?

Cheers

Edited by Dexter William

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is the above the real deal or copy?

The model number is the same as the one on the Aussie Samsung website. It's advertised as genuine.

I suppose if you buy under Paypal you should be protected if it's not?

I'm using this on my 64D8000 plasma and think it's great. I like the way you can tilt the panel up so that you can easily access the inputs when you need to. It says on the box that it will support safe working load of 50kg and a max breaking load of 200kg. The 64" plasma only weighs 35kgs without the stand.

I guess the only negative I can see is that you kind of need a level on hand each time you adjust the panel as it's very easy to adjust and therefore very easy to get crooked. ;)

Edited by Felix.

Guest Dexter William
I'm using this on my 64D8000 plasma and think it's great. I like the way you can tilt the panel up so that you can easily access the inputs when you need to. It says on the box that it will support safe working load of 50kg and a max breaking load of 200kg. The 64" plasma only weighs 35kgs without the stand.

I guess the only negative I can see is that you kind of need a level on hand each time you adjust the panel as it's very easy to adjust and therefore very easy to get crooked. ;)

Thanks for your feedback Felix.

The negative is actually a positive for me as I have to mount onto rendered brickwork. Even if I do not get the two supports exactly on the horizontal plane, which is difficult on rendered brickwork as the drill bit tend to skew on contact.

By the way, I am getting very fond of this TV. The PQ is excellent and the look of it is growing on me. The thinner bezel is very elegant and disappears into the background.

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone has seen or come across this problem. 64D8000 constantly drops out an adsl connection when it's turn on. The TV is not connected to the internet in anyway I can see and the router and tv, while in the same room are not on the same power board. It's driving me nuts! If you have any clues I'd appreciate it.

Edit - Maybe just an RF issue, will try ethernet cable to modem and see if that helps!

Edited by gsxrboy

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone has seen or come across this problem. 64D8000 constantly drops out an adsl connection when it's turn on. The TV is not connected to the internet in anyway I can see and the router and tv, while in the same room are not on the same power board. It's driving me nuts! If you have any clues I'd appreciate it.

Edit - Maybe just an RF issue, will try ethernet cable to modem and see if that helps!

Tried to move the phone line, modem to another room off a different ups etc, still no luck. Failing trying to get the whole house line rewired into cat6 anything else to suggest? I shall talk to Samsung today if its a dodgy power supply or something in the screen. Issue didn't happen with previous 50" Panasonic.

So did you try connecting the TV to your modem in ethernet?

If you are having general wifi issues, I would suggest changing the channel frequency of your modem. With domestic wifi networks being so prevalent these days, the bandwidth gets a bit choked up especially in high density areas. Most people just leave their modems on the default channel, so these tend to get choked up.

You can change the channel setting in the admin web page of your router.

Diesel, it actually causes the modem to continuously drop line sync, then it tries to reconnect, does so for a random period of time (2 mins to 15 mins etc), before dropping line sync again. Doesn't matter if the TV is plugged into the network switch or not (only hard wired to the switch, not using WiFi on the TV), the actual TV just being turned on is the cause of the adsl drop.

Plasma's are notoriously noisy for RF. I remember years ago in the old dial-up BBS days, whenever the washing machine was turned on, the modem would hang. You might have to head down an LCD path if you cant solve the issue.

Tried to move the phone line, modem to another room off a different ups etc, still no luck. Failing trying to get the whole house line rewired into cat6 anything else to suggest? I shall talk to Samsung today if its a dodgy power supply or something in the screen. Issue didn't happen with previous 50" Panasonic.

You can use a wireless repeater or access point to extend the wireless coverage and boost the wireless signal. I don't know if this will help with Samsung TV. Wireless repeater are cheap I bought the TP801N for $53.

Edited by jliang70

Guest Dexter William
Plasma's are notoriously noisy for RF. I remember years ago in the old dial-up BBS days, whenever the washing machine was turned on, the modem would hang. You might have to head down an LCD path if you cant solve the issue.

The D8000 64" that I bought recently did not have any problem with wifi connection through two brick walls.

However, the operating system for internet facility is not very user friendly for many common sites.

I tend to have to refresh a few times to get to where I want to go.

I am quite sure that it has got nothing to do with wifi connection, but the Samsung operating system.

Foxtel gave me a pair of devices where internet can be hardwired through the power points. I have not needed to try this yet, but it is not a bad way to hard-wire TV to internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the output from the optical won't give multichannel from various hdmi input sources etc, but if you streamed 5.1 from a plex server to the third party plex client on the d8000, will it pass multichannel out correctly via ARC if you want to run it through an amp?

Thanks for looking.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if there are any of these in stock anywhere in Perth?

Dude at HN told me they have given up taking orders for them as they never get them as the eastern states gets preference.

He also told me it was the same for the Pana 65" but then I discovered City West had sold one the week before so who knows.

Anyone know if there are any of these in stock anywhere in Perth?

Dude at HN told me they have given up taking orders for them as they never get them as the eastern states gets preference.

He also told me it was the same for the Pana 65" but then I discovered City West had sold one the week before so who knows.

Think your best bet would be JB Hifi. I purchased mine from Whitfords.