State Of Origin Rugby League

Well that surprised me - I felt if anything was going to be in HD it would be SOO. The cricket debacle was a bad sign.

I am now convinced to go HD on Austar as there is nothing now worth watching on FTA in HD anymore. At least SBS with the FA Cup and Champions League Finals are trying.

Nine obviously think they would make more money by showing So0 and 2 separate programs on their multi-channels rather than showing 2 versions of the same program (ie. SD and HD versions) with only 1 other program.

And those keen enough to watch will put up with SD broadcasts...

I don't think we will see HD sport on Free to air until HD set top boxes / TV sets become the norm, which could be another 4-5 years (even though analogue will be switched off by 2013 by which some viewers will still probably only have SD capable receivers). When SD only boxes/TVs are replaced or phased out, 7, 9 and 10 SHOULD become the HD channels, with 7mate/GEM/ONE all becoming SD channels.

And yes, I would LOVE to see a new NRL broadcasting deal similar to AFL that allows non-exclusive LIVE coverage on Free to air AND FOX (so that we can at least watch live SoO in HD on FOX until 9 goes HD again).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but packer loved sport, cricket, rugby league and horse racing. He would ahve made them HD so he could watch them live in HD himself at home.

Yep,his decree in the 1970's with Golf & Cricket was to cover it live with multiple cameras or not do it at all. Only for him & the Ten guy DTV would have started in Oz with no HD broadcasts,they stared Stokes down.

Edited by Basil

Yep,his decree in the 1970's with Golf & Cricket was to cover it live with multiple cameras or not do it at all. Only for him & the Ten guy DTV would have started in Oz with no HD broadcasts,they stared Stokes down.

Packer wanted HD as part of DTV in Australia to reduce the amount of competition by reducing the amount of channels a FTA network could broadcast. If you remove the HD channels they could be replaced by 2-3 SD channels.

Packer wanted HD as part of DTV in Australia to reduce the amount of competition by reducing the amount of channels a FTA network could broadcast. If you remove the HD channels they could be replaced by 2-3 SD channels.

..who knows but i'm not so sure that was the motivation,he had a passion to invigorate Cricket with HD coverage but his health problems kind of swamped everything.

..who knows but i'm not so sure that was the motivation,he had a passion to invigorate Cricket with HD coverage but his health problems kind of swamped everything.

His passion was nothing to do with HD and more to stop multichannelling, its a well documented fact. Its also the reason why it was only the 9 and 10 guys pushing for HD while 7 was pushing for the multichannelling, hence the reason 7 was doing HD at 576p for almost 7 years

So yes, if it wasnt for Packer and a glitzy HD tech demo to John Howard of the cricket, Australia would have had no (or limited) HD on FTA, but we would have had multichannels as early as 2001 (not guaranteed it would have happened though)

His passion was nothing to do with HD and more to stop multichannelling, its a well documented fact. Its also the reason why it was only the 9 and 10 guys pushing for HD while 7 was pushing for the multichannelling, hence the reason 7 was doing HD at 576p for almost 7 years

So yes, if it wasnt for Packer and a glitzy HD tech demo to John Howard of the cricket, Australia would have had no (or limited) HD on FTA, but we would have had multichannels as early as 2001 (not guaranteed it would have happened though)

I don't agree DD,multichanneling and how and to what extent it was implimented was of course a major issue but as i said who knows what went on behind closed doors with Packer's(and Rupert as well for that matter)1 on 1 with Howard & his Ministers(i think there were 2 involved).My Niece worked for 9 at the time and KP was really excited about the introduction of DTV and was determined to make his mark on it,the foundation stone for him(and Ten) was a dedicated 1080i HD channel with DD 5.1.He was in the process of bidding for more sport content to be shown in HD when his health(Kidney transplant) problems sidelined things,extra NRL games on FTA,expanded Cricket coverage and also,despite saying he would never deal with OZ. Golf administrators agains,looking to see if they could cover more Golf without conflicting with the NRL & Cricket.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it looks like State of Origin Game 3 isn't going to be simulcast on GEM in HD either. 0/3 for Channel 9!

Gerry Harvey, can I have my money back on my HDTV??

If all I'm going to be able to watch is SD re-runs of Happy Days and I Dream of Jeannie on the HD Channels, while SIGNIFICANT HD programming is run on the SD Channels (like State of Origin), I want my money back. Gerry is a willing partner in all of this debacle as he was the major sponsor of the game. Surely he had some influence??!! Its not like Channel 9 needed to spend any extra cash to transmit the game. They were filming it in HD for everyone else in the world except us Aussies. How hard could it have been???

I'm not normally a "political" person, but this really got me worked up. I blitzed out a whole bunch of letters to everyone from Ray Hadley to Senator Conroy. Rang Channel 9 after each game to complain. Even wrote individually to each of the directors on the board for CVC Asia Pacific to tell them that this poor treatment of viewers was going to ultimately affect their share price.

So what difference did it make? ZERO!

We are still being treated like S**T and no one gives a F**K.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the inadequate legislation that is letting ALL the broadcasters do this to us. This needs to be fixed. Conroy doesn't care. So change the government?? The other mob wrote the original legislation! Catch 22, like so many other aspects of the current Australian political environment. Doesn't matter what you do, you get screwed.

The only way to change this is to NOT WATCH, particularly if you have a ratings machine. So for Game 3, the TV is off. I'll catch it via torrent from the UK in 1080i. Any wonder that this seems to be how most people are watching TV these days.

The only way to change this is to NOT WATCH, particularly if you have a ratings machine. So for Game 3, the TV is off. I'll catch it via torrent from the UK in 1080i. Any wonder that this seems to be how most people are watching TV these days.

Agreed, it is atrocious. I'd rather wait and watch the replay on Fox Sports HD.

Big +1

The quality of the picture on Fox HD was brilliant

Big thumbs down for Ch9

Currently reside in the U.S., and even here on Fox Soccer Channel of all places, they had the final State of Origin in hidef Dolby Digital 5.1, and live. It was

a direct feed from Ch 9. Sad as to how the hidef situation has become in Australia, when the only place to go for hidef of any note is Foxtel.

Currently reside in the U.S., and even here on Fox Soccer Channel of all places, they had the final State of Origin in hidef Dolby Digital 5.1, and live. It was

a direct feed from Ch 9. Sad as to how the hidef situation has become in Australia, when the only place to go for hidef of any note is Foxtel.

That, while not surprising, is a disgrace.

F1 is the ONLY sport we get with DD5.1

Currently reside in the U.S., and even here on Fox Soccer Channel of all places, they had the final State of Origin in hidef Dolby Digital 5.1, and live.

It wasn't 5.1 from the OB so it couldn't have been native 5.1, they may have done some processing to fake 5.1

Watching offsiders this morning and John Stanley made the comment about the lack of HD sport on FTA, with particular reference to the SOO. Said that it is something the various league executives need to consider given the sheer number of people who have upgraded to large screens on the promise of watching their sport in HD.

Hear hear!

Francis Leach brought up the HD debate on the same show after the AFL rights contract was announced a couple of months ago.

Nice to see a bit of public comment on the issue. Surely people like Andy Demitriou, David Gallop et al, when watching their 85" screens, must realise how much better their game looks in stunning HD!

D.

Watching offsiders this morning and John Stanley made the comment about the lack of HD sport on FTA, with particular reference to the SOO. Said that it is something the various league executives need to consider given the sheer number of people who have upgraded to large screens on the promise of watching their sport in HD.

D.

I missed that comment (was watching, but not paying much attention). Couldn't agree more with him. He must be a member here.....