The Vast Satellite Tv Ripoff

Your VAST boxes come with a HDMI lead!? The ones I get only come with a composite lead, and I usually take a separate HDMI. On that note though Im yet to see any HDMI probs with any unit. Well excluding an obscure home theatre system, and it worked when plugged straight to tv (which was a samsung).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For $320 ftatv.com.au will sell you the PVR box + HDMI cable + free postage even to me in far away WA. Look at the Austech forum re the Samsung problem and UEC's answer to his complaints. This contributor there seems to be an expert (not ex-has been, spirt - drip under pressure). As the price is low this chap bought a better HDMI cable, had luck for a while and told us "it is the cable", but then he had to suck back as he still has the problem.

Not being an expert myself I may ring UEC to find out which level of HDMI is supported, is it 1.3 or 1.4. Samsung supports 1.4 apparently; if it is not downward compatible and UEC only supports 1.3, then there might be a problem.

Well, I am glad you do not have any problem with your Samsung. In his case he has to reboot to get a picture.

Just received this unit WITHOUT the advertised HDMI lead. This is a trade supplier. According to the booklet on page 4, the enclosed AV cable is suitable for Standard Definition only. Have contacted the dealer (SMS + email) and UEC (email, will ring later) and will let the net know what is going on re HDMI/PVR via the various fora (dtv, austech, whirlpool) once I receive an answer.

Component outputs are also available on this unit but do not rate a mention on page 4 or later.

I keep my fingers crossed. According to Consumer Protection Laws if this unit does not meet the advertised criteria, then I can return this unit for a full refund.

According to the booklet on page 4, the enclosed AV cable is suitable for Standard Definition only.

That's correct, the enclosed (supplied) AV cable is composite. (eg: red/white/yellow RCA)

There are no other cables included with the VAST decoder (eg: in the box).

Some sellers may choose to add an HDMI cable in the sale, or you may purchase one separately.

That's correct, the enclosed (supplied) AV cable is composite. (eg: red/white/yellow RCA)

There are no other cables included with the VAST decoder (eg: in the box).

Some sellers may choose to add an HDMI cable in the sale, or you may purchase one separately.

This is my experience also, i normally take one from another supplier.

Col,

Thanks once again. Prices vary from $349 to $379 and Scitech may have been the dearer one. Once I have set up my dish properly with the old Aurora box, then I am going to think about VAST in earnest. And the hope is prices will have dropped by then and pigs will fly!

Contact ftatv.com.au and he might send you the PVR version of the 4121 for $320 postage paid even to WA and make sure you get the HDMI cable with it as advertised and keep you fingers crossed you do not have a Samsung or Sony TV with HDCP (High Def Content Protection) problems. If so, the recommended strategy is rebooting every time to get a picture OR getting the latest USB formware for the TV OR wait for the OTA from UEC OR connection via the two other non-HDMI connectors and getting standard def only.

• 2 weeks later...

My worries are over, the VAST PVR box works! Have not had to change the scew on the LNB after Aurora. At least with a SANYO LCD-32XR10F TV. Some Sanyos apparently also have HDMI problems, like some Samsungs. Have not tried the PVR function and find the 1 TB limit is annoying as I can get a 2 TB HD for nearly the same price as a 1 TB external HD. Since Samsung left the disk business and since the Thai floods it is difficult to get cheap 1 TB HDs. My Olin PVR does not have this 1 TB limit. UEC tells me the format is a proprietary format on the HD, so it is neither NTFS or FAT32.

My worries are over, the VAST PVR box works! Have not had to change the scew on the LNB after Aurora. At least with a SANYO LCD-32XR10F TV. Some Sanyos apparently also have HDMI problems, like some Samsungs. Have not tried the PVR function and find the 1 TB limit is annoying as I can get a 2 TB HD for nearly the same price as a 1 TB external HD. Since Samsung left the disk business and since the Thai floods it is difficult to get cheap 1 TB HDs. My Olin PVR does not have this 1 TB limit. UEC tells me the format is a proprietary format on the HD, so it is neither NTFS or FAT32.

I imagine it falls under the same restrictions as freeview badged terrestrial gear, that is the hard drive is encrypted.