In Wall/ceiling Speakers Advice

I am about to build and intend on having all speaker's and subwoofer in wall. They will be running off a TX-SR605 or a TX-SR608 if I think a new AVR is worth it. Currently there are three options that have taken my fancy:

Option 1 ($1,166):

3 x Jensen EHT-8

1 x Jensen EHT-5

Option 2 ($806):

3 x 8" Selby High End Glass Fibre

1 x 6.5" Selby High End LCR Centre Polyprop

Option 3 ($657.49US delivered):

3 x 8" Monoprice Kevlar 3-Way High Power

1 x 5-1/4" Monoprice Center Channel Micro-Flanged

Subwoofer options:

1 x $900 Velodyne Subcontractor SC600IW

1 x $680 JBL HTi88

2 x $117US 10" Monoprice Subwoofer (Passive). Only if I order the Monoprice speakers

Jensen would be nice but are they worth the premium?

Selby Acoustics are local company seem like decent product

Monoprice are US based but have a decent rep - AVS Forum

Any advice on these or additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by baturbo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to build and intend on having all speaker's and subwoofer in wall. They will be running off a TX-SR605 or a TX-SR608 if I think a new AVR is worth it. Currently there are three options that have taken my fancy:

Option 1 ($1,166):

3 x Jensen EHT-8

1 x Jensen EHT-5

Option 2 ($806):

Subwoofer options:

1 x $680 JBL HTi88

2 x $117US 10" Monoprice Subwoofer (Passive). Only if I order the Monoprice speakers

Seems you wish to run a 4.1 system and that is most unusual.

I would try to audition any in wall speaker system and compare it against a similarly

priced separate system.

Would not ever consider passive speaker system.

Just my 2 cents for free!

Option 1 ($1,166):

3 x Jensen EHT-8

1 x Jensen EHT-5

Option 2 ($806):

Subwoofer options:

1 x $680 JBL HTi88

I would try to audition any in wall speaker system and compare it against a similarly

priced separate system.

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'm also in the process of building and hoping to do an in-wall / in-ceiling system.

priced separate system.

Actually, it looks like the OP is designing a 7.1 system - the first product in each set that he specifies three of are actually pairs. Obviously in-walls are difficult to audition - there aren't that many places that stock a variety of options, and of course even when you do find them in a shop where they're able to be auditioned, it's going to be completely different to your environment once they're in your wall.

What do you mean, that you wouldn't consider a passive speaker system? I assume you're talking about the subwoofer... as most of the time, HT speakers are passive. It seems passive subwoofers (driven by an external power amp) are more common in in-wall installs due to the complications involved with having an amp built into your wall - for convenience, many people seem to go for passive sub(s) so they can split the amp away from the drivers.

Nice thread, I'm building too. Wife requires in-wall/ceiling speakers despite my preferences for floor standing. Win some, lose some!

Keen to get any brand recommendations for this kind of thing - anyone famous for it, and has some reasonably affordable models? Looking for 5.0 setup. (I have a sub)

How does the Krix range stack up, particularly the Atmospherix 5? And are enclosed speakers better than open?

Thanks again, looking forward to this thread getting populated with allsorts of advice!

Nice thread, I'm building too. Wife requires in-wall/ceiling speakers despite my preferences for floor standing. Win some, lose some!

Keen to get any brand recommendations for this kind of thing - anyone famous for it, and has some reasonably affordable models? Looking for 5.0 setup. (I have a sub)

How does the Krix range stack up, particularly the Atmospherix 5? And are enclosed speakers better than open?

Thanks again, looking forward to this thread getting populated with allsorts of advice!

I have JBL in ceiling . they are ok. make sure you get the one with directional tweeter.

I will be keen to try emotiva for my next project

http://emotiva.com/uac62.shtm

After using non-fully enclosed in-ceiling speakers for a previous HT I would never do so again as the SQ varied wildy between them due to the differing distances from the rear of the speaker to the roof.

Im having Krix Atmospherix fully enclosed in-ceilings installed as side surrounds in my new house on Saturday.

Edited by dJOS

After using non-fully enclosed in-ceiling speakers for a previous HT I would never do so again as the SQ varied wildy between them due to the differing distances from the rear of the speaker to the roof.

Im having Krix Atmospherix fully enclosed in-ceilings installed as side surrounds in my new house on Saturday.

Initially bought the Atmospherix and had to take them back as there was not enough roof space on 1 side to fit them in with the back box fitted.

removing the back box wasn't an option as from memory as some parts were attached to it.

I personally would prefer back boxes fittted to in ceiling speakers, manufacturers quoted frequency response curves would be far more accurate imo.

Reason i initially bought the krix was I had heard them in situ and they do quite a good job as surrounds.

Initially bought the Atmospherix and had to take them back as there was not enough roof space on 1 side to fit them in with the back box fitted.

removing the back box wasn't an option as from memory as some parts were attached to it.

I personally would prefer back boxes fittted to in ceiling speakers, manufacturers quoted frequency response curves would be far more accurate imo.

Reason i initially bought the krix was I had heard them in situ and they do quite a good job as surrounds.

Perhaps the hemaspherix would have been an option as they are smaller. The atmospherix are essentially an in ceiling version of the equinox with moveable tweeters - I already have a pair of them and they are going to become front wides when my denon 4311 arrives shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with installing speakers in walls is the +9db boundary effect has on the very low frequencies.

This boominess along with the various rattles (resonances) that develop within the wall structure is likely to distract from the audio quality you are hoping for. Loudspeakers are better mounted in their own cabinet decoupled from any other structure . If you are going to wall mount speakers better not to wall-flush them but rather mount them proud of the surrounding wall and away from corners, this also goes for ceiling mounted speakers.

Patching up cut-outs in walls and ceiling spaces can be a task,so best avoided if possible.

Before doing any cut-outs in the Gyprock at least try your speakers surface mounted (in their own cabinets).

C.M

• 3 weeks later...

May as well keep this thread going.....

I'm looking at using either of these in-wall solutions for our lounge cinema.

From Selby Acoustics

L/R... http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=236075441

Centre... http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=236074428

or.....from Audio Australia

L/C/R http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-8-3WAY-12...=item564275c6c8

Has anyone used any of these speakers and if so, can they tell me how they performed and whether they were happy (or otherwise)? Thanks

Edited by kwikas

May as well keep this thread going.....

I'm looking at using either of these in-wall solutions for our lounge cinema.

From Selby Acoustics

L/R... http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=236075441

Centre... http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=236074428

or.....from Audio Australia

L/C/R http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-8-3WAY-12...=item564275c6c8

Has anyone used any of these speakers and if so, can they tell me how they performed and whether they were happy (or otherwise)? Thanks

Here's my experience:

After using non-fully enclosed in-ceiling speakers for a previous HT (Niles), I would never do so again as the SQ varied wildy between them due to the differing distances from the rear of the speaker to the roof.

Im now using Krix Atmospherix fully enclosed in-ceilings installed as side surrounds in my new house and they sound amazing, much better than my Niles did and they cost about the same!

Edited by dJOS

Here's my experience:

Im now using Krix Atmospherix fully enclosed in-ceilings installed as side surrounds in my new house and they sound amazing, much better than my Niles did and they cost about the same!

Thanks dJos.

I'm not up to spending too much money on this (forget Krix, Jamo etc etc) but your advice on enclosing the speakers is interesting. It might be that I can use the Selby or Audio Australia ones but build some enclosures myself. I'd have to experiment but from what you're saying, they will sound better if they're in the 'right size' boxes rather than just slapped into the wall space......

Thanks dJos.

I'm not up to spending too much money on this (forget Krix, Jamo etc etc) but your advice on enclosing the speakers is interesting. It might be that I can use the Selby or Audio Australia ones but build some enclosures myself. I'd have to experiment but from what you're saying, they will sound better if they're in the 'right size' boxes rather than just slapped into the wall space......

Building your own enclosures is certainly one way of improving the bass response and overall SQ. B)

That's what I asumed.....and I guess a good box size to start with would be one that approximates the (opposing studs - opposing noggins - rear wall) internal volume....?

I've never built speakers myself but the experts on www.stereonet.com.au could help.

Guest Peter the Greek

I've got 2 pairs of Vaf soundwall for sale for $1500 per pair.....probably a bit out of your price range, but about half retail price and much better than most in wall options

I've got 2 pairs of Vaf soundwall for sale for $1500 per pair.....probably a bit out of your price range, but about half retail price and much better than most in wall options

Thanks Elill. Great speakers and a great price but waaaaay out of my price range. Maybe not for others though.

Edited by kwikas

Building your own enclosures is certainly one way of improving the bass response and overall SQ. B)

A hifi installer gave me a tip - back the speaker with sound absorbing insulation batts. Get them from the same place as usual home insulation. I think they are called rockwool? Don't know if they are better or worse than an enclosed box (i can't a/b test) but it's certainly a lot easier and you can cover the entire cavity.

@OP,

Did you end up making a choice ?

I'm about venture down a similar road where I have a 6.5m x 6.5m room at my disposal. Viewing should be from about 4m at a 65" plasma.

Am only interested in 5.1 and not a huge audio-file,.. I just want everything tucked away and provide a somewhat enhanced surround sound experience. Its on a lower story also, but should be able to get to ceiling ok for wiring.

Am looking at similar bits mentioned above and am leaning towards the following setup:

Fronts ($229) - Pair of 8" Selby High End In-Wall Speakers Glass Fibre XQ8205.x2, located on either side of a panel directed straight out

Center ($119) - 6.5" Selby High End In-Wall LCR Centre Speaker Polyprop XQ6214 just below panel

Sub - ($679) JBL HTi88

Now the rears,.. unsure whether to go for something firing straight down, or Selby's angled ones ?

Angled ($229) - Pair of 8" High End Angled LCR Ceiling Speakers GlassFibre XD8205.x2

Straights ($229) - Pair of 8" High End Ceiling Speakers Glass Fibre Cones XD8215.x2

About $1200ish plus an amp.

Appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer ??

I'll have full access to the front wall, so boxes or the like would be feasable, but this may not be an option for the ceiling ones,.. I'll look at the KRIX ceiling ones mentioned above for the rears but $s may dictate.

Thanks,

Jim.....

Jimbo, I'd be using the same LCR speaker for your left & Right Fronts as well as the Center (hence the LCR designation) as it's always best to have matching speakers for the front sound stage where possible.

Edited by dJOS

Jimbo, I'd be using the same LCR speaker for your left & Right Fronts as well as the Center (hence the LCR designation) as it's always best to have matching speakers for the front sound stage where possible.
Ah ok,... thanks for the reply; will see what they have on offer.

Ah ok,... thanks for the reply; will see what they have on offer.

No worries, the Selby LCR's that you linked to earlier look pretty reasonable to me - obviously for the left and right speakers you mount them vertically instead of horizontally like the Center.

Thanks again for the reply dJOS.

Anyone have any thoughts on the rears ? angled or shooting straight down ? Angle seems slight based on the pics at the link above. Just wondering if its better to have the rears not pushing sound directly at the seats, so you get more of the surround effect ? so straights instead of the angled ones ??

Jim.....