Fs: New Jvc Jd550 Black

oztheatre

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*possibly* interested :winky:

how would it go throwing a 140" image onto my majestic screen from 5m....??

Is that scope or 16:9?

If scope and using a lens, you could probably get it going, using 1.36 of the 2.02 zoom.

$3800 final rock bottom offer. Plus shipping.

Oz ... I am looking to set up a combined TV (using my 60" Kuro) and home theatre room. I want to set up a 110-120 inch 2:35:1 (motorised scope) screen using a throw distance of around 4-5 metres. I am not interested in projectors with 3D capability, so not sure whether I should wait for the new JVC X3 or X7. I have read the many positive reviews of the 550.

Do you think the 550 would fit the bill or would the X3 offer better picture for plain vanilla 2D material ?

Oz ... I am looking to set up a combined TV (using my 60" Kuro) and home theatre room. I want to set up a 110-120 inch 2:35:1 (motorised scope) screen using a throw distance of around 4-5 metres. I am not interested in projectors with 3D capability, so not sure whether I should wait for the new JVC X3 or X7. I have read the many positive reviews of the 550.

Do you think the 550 would fit the bill or would the X3 offer better picture for plain vanilla 2D material ?

110 to 120 will work with the mk3 lens or zooming. I cannot say much on the X3 at present as it's not here but it seems like a great machine also.

It would be around 1500 more than the 550 I have on offer though.

110 to 120 will work with the mk3 lens or zooming. I cannot say much on the X3 at present as it's not here but it seems like a great machine also.

It would be around 1500 more than the 550 I have on offer though.

I have been reading about the MK4 anamorphic lens ... is it correct that the 550 will deliver a full scope picture uisng the MK4 or can the 550 deliver CIH by itself. Let me know if I have this right ....

I have been reading about the MK4 anamorphic lens ... is it correct that the 550 will deliver a full scope picture uisng the MK4 or can the 550 deliver CIH by itself. Let me know if I have this right ....

The 550 will deliver CIH by zooming, as will most projectors. Dont think any projectors can deliver native 21.9 at this stage.

If I had a large enough lounge-room which allows me to be 5 or so metres away from the screen, I would have snapped this up!

With all due respect Dan what does that mean? Just fit a screen (whether scope or 16.9) that will give the optimum picture from whatever distance you sit at.

The 550 will deliver CIH by zooming, as will most projectors. Dont think any projectors can deliver native 21.9 at this stage.

Ok got that ... now some more basic questions:

Would this need for zooming be detected automatically or would you have to re-set the zoom for 2.35:1 material ?

What would the benefit of attaching the MK4 in front of the 550 lens ?

With all due respect Dan what does that mean? Just fit a screen (whether scope or 16.9) that will give the optimum picture from whatever distance you sit at.

I don't know much about Projectors, unfortunately. However, with my seating position only approximately 4 metres away from where a Projector Screen would be, I assume the screen size would be too overkill for a set-up like mine.

Dan.

I don't know much about Projectors, unfortunately. However, with my seating position only approximately 4 metres away from where a Projector Screen would be, I assume the screen size would be too overkill for a set-up like mine.

Dan.

You assume wrong grasshopper, very wrong. 4M from a 130-140 inch scope screen IS mint, awesome, knock your socks off immersion!

Edited by birdyblitz

Dan.

4 metres (or thereabouts) is where 80% of people sit using a projector... I sit at 4 metres, sometimes closer to my 135 scope screen... no issues at all.

Ok got that ... now some more basic questions:

Would this need for zooming be detected automatically or would you have to re-set the zoom for 2.35:1 material ?

What would the benefit of attaching the MK4 in front of the 550 lens ?

Some projectors can automatically detect it but dont think the 550 does, you would need to set it each time you switch between the formats.

The mk4 allows for a shorter throw ratio and gives the benefit of a brighter picture and full use of all availiable pixels as none are wasted on producing black bars.

Think i have this info right, Mark Techer or Richard Ward from OZTS are the gurus on this stuff and better able to explain the pros and cons of each method than me, hopefully they will chime in once they see this.

With a 550 here are the options:

1. 16:9 screen, set and forget, black bars top and bottom for all cinemascope movies (2.35 and 2.40:1) Image width stays the same for all movie aspect ratios.

2. Scope screen and zoom. The JVC does not have a memory but instead you would use the motorised zoom (550 has motorised focus, zoom and lens shift)

3. Scope screen and lens. 4.5 metres is where the projectors lens needs to be for a 120 inch cinemascope screen (or further back if possible).

OPTIONS FOR SCOPE with LENS;

3.1: Leave lens in place if ceiling mounted and scale with projector. Upside, set and forget. Downside, lose 25% of your resolution for all 16:9 footage.

3.2: If tower mounting and you can get to the lens easy enough, I would recommend moving it in and out as required, takes all of 30 seconds to re align.

3.3: Use something motorised like a cineslide to move lens in and out of the lightpath. Downside, price. Upside, utilize all the projectors resolution as apposed to leaving lens in place.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

I'm about 3.8 metres from a 130" 16:9 screen, and it's bloody awesome.