Oppo To Launch 3d Player Before Christmas - Bdp93

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not soon when you consider that "economies of scale" are likely to have improved enormously with this new model.

Given the early discontinuation of the 80 and 83. PLUS the withdrawal from the UK market before it has even kicked off all due to supply exceeding demand - I'd say the 93 is the next evolution in Oppo having greater control over their supply lines - this might mean even more bang (and quality) for our buck compared to the 83.

The move to a propitiatory drive tray is a clue to this as it would seem they now having the buying power to determine their own design and manufacturing standards, where as with previous models they had to rely on stock OEM parts.

If their strategy is to also launch properly into region 2 (which it should be given the unmet demand for the 83) the 93 will likely be the a quantum leap again over the BDP 83.

Would agree the 93 will likely be even better which is no easy feat as the 83 was one great machine! B)

I think I will hang out for one of the many 83's that will be up for sale when the 93's hit the market. Can always use one in the TV room as only have DVD player there. :P

I've had upgraditus fro a while now, but don't want to jump on this until I know it can be RF Modded and at what cost.

Yes a definite dilemma - Wait or don't wait.... can I get a premium for a used 83 now; and/or will prices slide once the 93 is available and folk start upgrading!

Yes a definite dilemma - Wait or don't wait.... can I get a premium for a used 83 now; and/or will prices slide once the 93 is available and folk start upgrading!

if unsure it always makes sense to wait ! not that, that is ever easy :D just prices on these things always drop !

when the new one comes you can see what that is like too, and there will be for sure not only people flogging their old ones but it will also be on run out if want to buy new :)

When this is released, I'll be happy to take a BDP-83 off someone's hands :)

Missed out on ordering a BDP-83 by a couple of days, such is life.

I say we start bidding on Chopsus' unit now and may the best human being win! :P:lol:

I'll start - $450.00 :ninja:

Ummm, I don;t think so Al., Oppo stopped selling them about 4 days ago - what new stock is with resellers is all there is, there aint no more 83 being minted, so a legend they be from here on.

edit: given this unit can no longer be obtained I am prepared to sell mine for $1500 (no offers) all low ball PMs will be ignored!

edit 2: ;):P

Damn straight ; oppos have great retained value ; theres still peeps after 983's :) $2000 minimum for my custom analogue modded model 1/2 joking :D

Ummm, I don;t think so Al., Oppo stopped selling them about 4 days ago - what new stock is with resellers is all there is, there aint no more 83 being minted, so a legend they be from here on.

edit: given this unit can no longer be obtained I am prepared to sell mine for $1500 (no offers) all low ball PMs will be ignored!

edit 2: ;):P

Damm, I can only go to $1400..... :ninja::lol:

Looks like it is almost time to put your 83 on the market and the 93 sure looks the goods - http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=90929

No news on the RF chipping of this unit yet so I'm a little torn. There's nothing I need from the 93 that the 83 doesn't do so I'm not sure whether to jump on one of the remaining units or hang out for the shiney new-ness.

That we have heard yet ... and being a pessimist I'm not expecting anything that will make 83 owners storm Oppo with orders ..... but if there is anything: I will be the first to lead the (credit card) charge!

Asked this in another thread, but while your there....

What are the options for modding and readying for Aus power etc.?

No news on the RF chipping of this unit yet so I'm a little torn. There's nothing I need from the 93 that the 83 doesn't do so I'm not sure whether to jump on one of the remaining units or hang out for the shiney new-ness.

Would have to agree; but at the same price as the 83 the 93 has got to be the winner given one can get a mod chip quickly and at a reasonable price.

Hi Ruth!

Unknown yet for Region Free Modding and I doubt it will be the same RF Chip as the new video processing and proprietary drive mechanism will likely need a new chip and install strategy - Oppo have never let us down this way in the past, but it might take a month or two for a solution to hit the market.

As for Aus power, I would bet they use a similar power supply to the 83 and it should simply be an Aus power cord with the appropriate two prong plug to fix .... going to a hard wired power cord would be a step backward for Oppo so I doubt this wold happen and the reality seems to be that 100v-250v power supplies are cheaper and better than region specific ones (thus being the nature of Chinese manufacturing I guess).

In sum it looks great for the 93, but I wouldn;t sell my 83 just yet and I am expecting it to be January/Feb 2011 before an Aus delivered region free version is freely available. But I;m deliberately being a pessimist so as not to get my hopes up for Christmass.

Thanks for the detailed reply Chopsus. I will wait for news early next year. This may be my next "save up for" project :)

Thanks for the detailed reply Chopsus. I will wait for news early next year. This may be my next "save up for" project :)

It will not disappoint. The 93 may be better than the 83 which is one great unit. I would agree that January should bring a region Free mod and if like the last time then ordering direct from Oppo may be the cheapest and simplest way forward given the mod can be done easily DIY. If not then take to Gatti as he will surely provide the Mod when available!

• 1 month later...