My night:

John Mayer - Room for Squares

Shawn Colvin - A few small repairs

Loreena Mckennit - Book of Secrets

Alphaville - Salvation

Have always liked Loreena Mckennit's Book of Secrets

kiwizig;162883 wrote:
Have always liked Loreena Mckennit's Book of Secrets

Mask and mirrors is my favourite McKennitt.

All on vinyl,

Raising Sand Plant/Krauss

Troupe Le Monde Pixies

Ashes and Fire Ryan Adams

If You're Feeling Sinister Belle and Sebastian

Billie Holiday Revisited

BONOBO Black sands

New speakers arrived today so a lot of bouncing around. Highlights as I played these all the way through are:

The Cure - Three Imaginery Boys

Morphine - The Night

Pete Doherty - Gracelands

The The - Mind Bomb

The Bouncers

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap

Porcupine Tree - Atomic Toy from the early years best of

Julian Cope - Jehovahkill

On vinyl

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - S/T

The Beach Boys - Smile

On Cd

Fistful Of Mercy - As I Call You Down

Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II

Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye - A Tribute to Roky Erickson

kiwizig;163006 wrote:
On vinyl

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - S/T

The Beach Boys - Smile

On Cd

Fistful Of Mercy - As I Call You Down

Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II

Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye - A Tribute to Roky Erickson

Glad to see you're building up to the Roky gig next week.

Last night on CD;

Eric Chenaux- guitar and voice

Tiny Ruins- some were meant for the sea

Loney Dear- hall music

Anne Briggs- the time has come

Bill Fay- s/t

Tindersticks- the something rain

I've spent most of my listening time the last week checking out a band new to me, Porcupine Tree. I've never been much of a fan of prog music but after following a thread on another forum and checking out some tracks on You Tube I dived in the deep end and ordered the 4xlp Anesthetize box set from Burning Shed and then picked up several cds while in Dn so the play list has included

Anesthetize-vinyl

Signify-2xcd

Warszawa-cd

Stars Die-2xcd

Coma Divine-2xcd

Fear of a Blank Planet-cd

ordered and hopefully here next week on lp will be

In Absentia

Lightbulb Sun

Up the Downstair

that still leaves me with about 4 on the vinyl wish list .

It's not easy to get PT vinyl from the usual suppliers like Amazon at a reasonable price which leaves Burning Shed where the prices aren't too bad but the freight is a bit of a killer.

wrecker;162925 wrote:
New speakers arrived today so a lot of bouncing around. Highlights as I played these all the way through are:

The Cure - Three Imaginery Boys

Morphine - The Night

Pete Doherty - Gracelands

The The - Mind Bomb

The Bouncers

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap

Porcupine Tree - Atomic Toy from the early years best of

Julian Cope - Jehovahkill

That's a wicked listening session, especially with Mind Bomb and Jehovahkill in there!

Cooksferry;163076 wrote:
It's not easy to get PT vinyl from the usual suppliers like Amazon at a reasonable price which leaves Burning Shed where the prices aren't too bad but the freight is a bit of a killer.

I got my 4LP set direct from Tonefloat; bit cheaper buying in Euros – or at least it was last month! PT vinyl has always been a little difficult to get hold of and generally you've got to act quickly when they release vinyl versions – they tend to go very quickly and buying secondhand can get pricey. I ummed and ahhed a while before buying the 10-inch vinyl version of Steven Wilson's Insurgentes but I always feel good about buying it when I see how much copies go for on eBay. At least Kscope have been kind enough to re-release a lot of PT stuff on vinyl. Also, last time I checked, Tonefloat still had copies of Fear of a Blank Planet on vinyl – no longer available through Burning Shed.

Zolar Czakl;163149 wrote:
Also, last time I checked, Tonefloat still had copies of
Fear of a Blank Planet
on vinyl – no longer available through Burning Shed.

I checked with burning Shed about that one and they tell me that they are expecting more copies shortly. I'm really enjoying Coma Divine over the last couple of days. Be nice to see that come back on vinyl.

maxgate;163128 wrote:
Six Organs of Admittance: 'Asleep on the Floodplain' (2011)

If you like stoner folk from the endless summer of the early Seventies then you owe it to what's left of your memory to hear this.

I have most of their albums and this one is a return to form! A most excellent album!

Jim Sullivan: 'U.F.O.' - originally recorded in 1969, reissued by Light in the Attic in 2010.

Do I agree with the publicist's claim that this is 'a lost masterpiece'? No, it's too generic for that. Do I believe it was worth reissuing? Yes, because Jim Sullivan is a better vocalist than many more famous contemporaries. His folky world-weariness is rarely tiresome. His songs are solid even if their characters appear flakey.

Original? Well, how many 'I'm a drifter' offerings can you stand? But he drifts with the best of them. Hell, he disappeared on the road.

maxgate;163272 wrote:
Jim Sullivan: 'U.F.O.' - originally recorded in 1969, reissued by Light in the Attic in 2010.

Do I agree with the publicist's claim that this is 'a lost masterpiece'? No, it's too generic for that. Do I believe it was worth reissuing? Yes, because Jim Sullivan is a better vocalist than many more famous contemporaries. His folky world-weariness is rarely tiresome. His songs are solid even if their characters appear flakey.

Original? Well, how many 'I'm a drifter' offerings can you stand? But he drifts with the best of them. Hell, he disappeared on the road.

I also bought a copy of this ... bit of an impulse buy after reading about the album in a Stereophile article and the fact that the Wrecking Crew was the backing group. Not really my cup of tea however so a mint, gatefold LP, played once, for $20 to anyone interested. Prefer pickup but will post if necessary ... however postage would be $12. PM me if interested.

New vinyl acquired yesterday

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

Air - Moon Safari

Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground & Nico

Some 2nd hand

Taste - The Best of

The Beat - What is, The Best of

The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops

Luis;163392 wrote:
All CDs lately;

Tindersticks- the something rain

Andrew Bird- break it yourself

Mike Wexler- dispossesion. Fine hypnotic psych-folk.

The Descendants- movie soundtrack. I wanna go to Hawaii!

RM Hubbert- 13 lost and found

Ane Brun- it all start with one.

Mike Wexler sounds interesting I might have to check him out and how was The First Aid concert?

To Top