The Song Game

Bill Callahan - Apocolypse. Really good. Hard to imagine him getting better than the early Smog albums but he seems to be maturing out of sight.

As for the James Blake album...I adore it. Maybe the vocal is a bit like Bon Iver but also reminds me of Anthony and the Johnsons (a good thing). The music is super interesting, it's nominally Dubstep but I hear big chunks of Cluster and Faust. Also swathes of weird electronics that remind me of the last Portishead album. I actually broke a rule and brought it on CD because the vinyl is close to $100. I will only pay that for second hand vinyl and it better have the words John and Coltrane on the cover.

Luis;149884 wrote:
Makes me a bit nostalgic this album, knowing some of it was recorded on a rooftop in Cordoba; one of my favourite places to visit in Andalucia. BTW ' Alegrias ' is a lively style of flamenco typical to Cadiz, home to my mother's side of my family.

I have much enjoyed music & performance like this on several evenings (as a tourist) in Andalucia & Barcelona.

Is there anything that you can recommend, that is readily available, as a further introduction into Flamenco? It's the (dance) rhythms that are engaging for me.

150189=6289-IMG_0887a.jpg

Luis;149884 wrote:
Makes me a bit nostalgic this album, knowing some of it was recorded on a rooftop in Cordoba; one of my favourite places to visit in Andalucia. BTW ' Alegrias ' is a lively style of flamenco typical to Cadiz, home to my mother's side of my family.

I have much enjoyed music & performance like this on several evenings (as a tourist) in Andalucia & Barcelona.

Is there anything that you can recommend, that is readily available, as a further introduction into Flamenco? It's the (dance) rhythms that are engaging for me.

150190=6293-IMG_0887b.jpg

Spent Easter at a friend's place in Queenstown – so was able to sample his current set-up:

Nottingham Anna Log TT – with a gorgeous aged oak plinth

SME Series 5/Koetsu Rosewood Signature

DartZeel mono-blocks & Wilson Sasha speakers.

(Hmm, he's got a few more bucks than me!)

Vinyl from his collection, not all to my taste but the sound repro was so good I wasn't complaining:

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (Direct Cut)

Dire Straits – Love Over Gold

Derek & The Dominoes – Layla (the new remastered deluxe vinyl set)

John Mayall – Bluesbeakers (original '60s mono of the classic 'Beano' album)

Topped off with all nine of Beethoven's symphonies, all original '60s DG vinyl with the BPO conducted by von Karajan – magical; apart from live concerts I've never heard the Ninth sound so majestic.

Owen Y;150190 wrote:

150190=6293-IMG_0887b.jpg

I'm a dabbler in flamenco, not a true aficionado, but there's a few things I know and like. In general I prefer the lighter ( cante chico ) style to the true cante jondo. The latter literally translates as deep song and is more dark and intense; often an unaccompanied singer in a wailed lament.

This by Estrella Morente is very good http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Songs-Poem-Estrella-Morente/dp/B00005V99G/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303974942&sr=1-3 . Good SQ. Some tracks recorded live in a cave in Granada; great guitar work by the master, Manolo Sanlucar. Her father Enrique was also very good.

This is a classic by Camaron and Paco, considered by many to be 2 of the best http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camaron-Colaboracion-Especial-Flores-Lloran/dp/B000BRP7DC/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303974982&sr=1-4

This looks like a good sampler toohttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Legends-Gypsy-Flamenco-Various-Artists/dp/B000053W17/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303975522&sr=1-3

Kids gone back to Dn, home back to normal:D:D

Today on lp- Metallica-Garage Inc, 6xlp 45rpm box set. Yet to hear it via the speakers but through the Mapletree/W5000 combo more detail and vocals especially sound better than the 3xlp Elektra reissue I have or the 2xcd and so it should. Still not hugely dynamic but audiophile and metal dont usually go together. Might even be tempted to look at a couple more of the Metallica box sets at this rate.

Zolar Czakl;150199 wrote:
Spent Easter at a friend's place in Queenstown – so was able to sample his current set-up:

Nottingham Anna Log TT – with a gorgeous aged oak plinth

SME Series 5/Koetsu Rosewood Signature

DartZeel mono-blocks & Wilson Sasha speakers.

(Hmm, he's got a few more bucks than me!)

Vinyl from his collection, not all to my taste but the sound repro was so good I wasn't complaining:

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (Direct Cut)

Dire Straits – Love Over Gold

Derek & The Dominoes – Layla (the new remastered deluxe vinyl set)

John Mayall – Bluesbeakers (original '60s mono of the classic 'Beano' album)

Topped off with all nine of Beethoven's symphonies, all original '60s DG vinyl with the BPO conducted by von Karajan – magical; apart from live concerts I've never heard the Ninth sound so majestic.

Your friend has a nice setup!

What did you think of the new remastered Derek & The Dominoes – Layla. I am thinking of buying it at some stage.

Many thanks, Luis, will follow up on those this year.

I did attend one show in a cave club in Albayzin district in Granada!

I used to have a Manitas de Plata record too...long gone.

Luis;150208 wrote:
I'm a dabbler in flamenco, not a true aficionado, but there's a few things I know and like. In general I prefer the lighter ( cante chico ) style to the true cante jondo. The latter literally translates as deep song and is more dark and intense; often an unaccompanied singer in a wailed lament.

This by Estrella Morente is very good
. Good SQ. Some tracks recorded live in a cave in Granada; great guitar work by the master, Manolo Sanlucar. Her father Enrique was also very good.

This is a classic by Camaron and Paco, considered by many to be 2 of the best

This looks like a good sampler toohttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Legends-Gypsy-Flamenco-Various-Artists/dp/B000053W17/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1303975522&sr=1-3

kiwizig;150211 wrote:
Your friend has a nice setup!

What did you think of the new remastered Derek & The Dominoes – Layla. I am thinking of buying it at some stage.

Apart from the title track, I'm not a big fan of this era in Clapton's career – a little too laidback for my taste. Having said that, the remastered discs sounded bloody good, excellent SQ and deep, fulsome bass – I suspect the Nottingham/DartZeel/Sasha set-up would be pretty unforgiving when it comes to poorly remastered discs. On that basis, I'd give the re-issued vinyl a thumbs up.

Zolar Czakl;150242 wrote:
Apart from the title track, I'm not a big fan of this era in Clapton's career – a little too laidback for my taste. Having said that, the remastered discs sounded bloody good, excellent SQ and deep, fulsome bass – I suspect the Nottingham/DartZeel/Sasha set-up would be pretty unforgiving when it comes to poorly remastered discs. On that basis, I'd give the re-issued vinyl a thumbs up.

Ok thanks! and I would kill for a DartZeel/Sasha setup!

Bought the cd version with the bonus disc,couple of outstanding tracks (one with Duane (Mean Old World) who really is the absolute business on Layla and 1 from a single b side.For me Eric isnt the star its Duane and some of the other luminaries that set it alight IMHO.