2010 Panasonic Dmr-xw380 And Xw480 Dvd Recorders

Hi Baird

I too have the 350 but am considering getting a 380 to replace our disappointing Strong 5492.

One question, if I may: My only criticism of the 350 is the very slow response time to inputs from the remote control. The nice man at Myer assures me the 380 has better processing power, resulting in less delay to inputs. What's your assessment of this? Is the 380 faster to respond to remote control inputs?

Steven

Things can be a bit slow but the transmitting signal of the 380 remote is much stonger than the 350 so you can operate from further away. Times for changing might have improved a tad but not much.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I bought the XW480. Traded Bing Lee and Dick Smith against each other and got them down to under $800 with a $70 HDMI cable thrown in. Not too bad.

The BL guy told me it was not region-free out of the box, but that repairers/servicers could do it for me or could provide the code. Has anyone else had to do this with a Panasonic HDD/DVD?

Okay, I bought the XW480. Traded Bing Lee and Dick Smith against each other and got them down to under $800 with a $70 HDMI cable thrown in. Not too bad.

The BL guy told me it was not region-free out of the box, but that repairers/servicers could do it for me or could provide the code. Has anyone else had to do this with a Panasonic HDD/DVD?

No, mine was DVD region free out of the box. (DMR BW750)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a XW380 and have a weird thing happen when setting timers.If I set a timer from 19.30.to 20.30 and then two timers at 20.30 to 21.30 I get a message about a timer conflict and "the earlier program will finish early." Is this normal for this machine as my Beyonwiz DP2 is ok with this sort of programming? Thanks in advance for any help.

Just got a XW380 and have a weird thing happen when setting timers.If I set a timer from 19.30.to 20.30 and then two timers at 20.30 to 21.30 I get a message about a timer conflict and "the earlier program will finish early." Is this normal for this machine as my Beyonwiz DP2 is ok with this sort of programming? Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to end the first timer at 20.29 then the two programed to start at 20.30 will be ok.This is normal.

You need to end the first timer at 20.29 then the two programed to start at 20.30 will be ok.This is normal.

Actually if you just ignore the warning it will stop the earlier programme when it readies one of the new programmes for recording, the problem is that the Panasonic's like to put the machine into record+pause before the actual start time then start the recording right on time. In most cases because the networks rarely run on time you can also change the start time of one of the later recordings to start a minute later and that will also remove the warning. It all depends on whether you prefer to miss the last minute of a show or the first.

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself a dmr-xw380 from seconds world this week for $415.

Probably refurbished, but no scratches on it at all. Like new.

Picked it up yesterday, installed the latest firmware, and all is good so far.

Replaced a sony rdr-hxd990. Sony only had sd tuner, reason for replacing, so I can get all the new hd channels on the panasonic.

Must admit though, the sony had a much better interface, especially navigating around.

Panasonic desperately needs to take a leaf out of sonys book as far as the epg guide is concerned. No comparison.

Also the panasonic is missing an eject/load button for dvd, also when you stop dvd on sony, it goes to the tv tuner, whereas the panasonic just shows blank screen, a big blunder, needs to be fixed with a firmware release.

The biggest dissapointment though, is that the panasonic takes too long to start up, also too long when changing inputs or channels,whereas with the sony, all the above were instant with no delay.

Also dvd playback on the sony was so much better, clearer and more vibrant picture, with many more options than the panasonic to configure the picture etc.

In conclusion, the sony is a MUCH better dvd recorder, if only it had a hd tuner I would have kept it.

The new sony dvd recorders have hd tuners, but I got the panasonic cheap, so at the price it is acceptable for what it is.

Not worth more that $350-400 considerign its performance in direct comparison with my sony dvd recorder.

Panasonic really has gone backwards with each new model, cost cutting?

Edited by theok

The biggest dissapointment though, is that the panasonic takes too long to start up, also too long when changing inputs or channels,whereas with the sony, all the above were instant with no delay.

Have you tried turning OFF "Power Save In Standby"(P18 of the manual)? It means the recorder doesn't go into such a low power state while in standby but does mean it switches on faster and consumes more power while in standby.

Also have you tried changing channels with the CH Up & Down buttons instead of typing in the numbers or typing in all three digits, ie. 002 for 2, 007 for 7, 010 for 10 etc, this seems to be quicker because the Panasonics just seem to have an excessively long wait after the first two number presses just incase you're going to press another number, the channel change itself doesn't take as long as some others I have tried (LG). <_<

As for the picture quality, what TV is it connected to and how is it connected (HDMI, Component, SVideo, Composite)?

Have you tried turning OFF "Power Save In Standby"(P18 of the manual)? It means the recorder doesn't go into such a low power state while in standby but does mean it switches on faster and consumes more power while in standby.

Also have you tried changing channels with the CH Up & Down buttons instead of typing in the numbers or typing in all three digits, ie. 002 for 2, 007 for 7, 010 for 10 etc, this seems to be quicker because the Panasonics just seem to have an excessively long wait after the first two number presses just incase you're going to press another number, the channel change itself doesn't take as long as some others I have tried (LG). <_<

As for the picture quality, what TV is it connected to and how is it connected (HDMI, Component, SVideo, Composite)?

I have power save off.

In any case it should not consume more power in standby mode,bad design fault from panasonic i think.

I always change channels with the up/down key only.

Just that when all the above is compared to the sony, it lags far behind.

Another thing the sony can do is auto skip ads from recordered material and this feature worked perfectly everytime.

BTW, I have the recorder connected to a 40" sony KDL40HX800 via good hdmi cable.

Sony dvd recorder picture noticeably better.

Not surprising since the old sony rdr-hxd990 series is an oem pioneer unit.

Pioneer did make the best dvd recorders until they got out of the market.

But like I said before,for the price I bought the panasonic, I am reasonably happy.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Nothing is perfect. just gotta live with it.

Just like the wife I suppose!

Edited by theok

Pioneer did make the best dvd recorders untilthey got out of the market.

A real loss that one...they were good products. I thought we may have seen something come from the Sharp JV, but nothing now for ~18mths.

I have power save off.

In any case it should not consume more power in standby mode,bad design fault from panasonic i think.

It's simple physics not a design fault, the slower you make the processor run and the more peripherals you turn off while in standby the less power it consumes but then it takes longer to start up, turn on and test the peripherals. Just like any computer you can use various low power states, shut down completely, Hibernate or various levels of Sleep each is a trade off between speed to wake up and power consumed while not running.

I always change channels with the up/down key only.

Just that when all the above is compared to the sony, it lags far behind.

Fair enough, I don't have a Sony to compare with so I'll take your word for it, I've only got Panasonic DMR BW750, Beyonwiz DP-P2, LG DBRH197, LG 32LC2D TV, Kross STB, Nextwave STB and Kworld Hybrid DVB-T/Analogue Tuner card to compare with. They are all fairly comparable changing channels and I would like ALL of them to be faster.

Another thing the sony can do is auto skip ads from recordered material and this feature worked perfectly everytime.

That would be nice.

BTW, I have the recorder connected to a 40" sony KDL40HX800 via good hdmi cable.

Sony dvd recorder picture noticeably better.

Not surprising since the old sony rdr-hxd990 series is an oem pioneer unit.

Pioneer did make the best dvd recorders until they got out of the market.

Possibly a better scaler being used. However picture quality is very subjective and what one person thinks is a fabulous vivid picture another person might see as overly sharp, saturated and exessively bright or soft, dull and listless, you should be able to compensate for most of these to some extent on the TV itself. Only things like digital artifacts would be hard to compensate for.

But like I said before,for the price I bought the panasonic, I am reasonably happy.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Nothing is perfect. just gotta live with it.

Just like the wife I suppose!

A good attitude, but we can all dream that a more perfect device will soon exist. Except for the wife who is already perfect of course :D

Guest Bill.h
Does anyone know the difference between the XW350 and the WX380.

I can't find any tech differences but the XW350 is larger and heavier.

Is one made in Japan and the other China?

Thanks,

Ibis.

This is my first time on DVT Forum. I purchased my 380 from DJ for $585 after showing an adv. from theelctric discounters. The difference between 450- 480 and 350-380 according to Panasonic last years model and this, with last years should not be foe sale,

I had a frustrating time setting it up until I realised the HDMI was the problem. When I connected via the supplied cables the setup was a breeze. I have a Pioneer PDP-506HDG. and get a fantastic picture.

My trouble now is that every time I try to connect with HDMI the Tv goes blank, and neither remote work. I have tried every combinstios several times........HELP......or should I leave well enough alone.

A good attitude, but we can all dream that a more perfect device will soon exist. Except for the wife who is already perfect of course :D

Perhaps that device to replace the wife will be a robot.

Never argues, just executes orders from the master!

My trouble now is that every time I try to connect with HDMI the Tv goes blank, and neither remote work. I have tried every combinstios several times........HELP......or should I leave well enough alone.
Make sure you turn off "Viera Link" on the Panasonic - by default it is on.

Also, have you checked the HDMI input on the Pioneer works/switched on? IIRC, there was a model they brought out whereby the 2nd HDMI input was turned off be default.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the 480 for a few weeks now and am pretty pleased with it. I already own two 350s, so the counter-intuitive buttons on the remote are quite familiar to me (but drive my housemate crazy). I like the new ten second backward jump button and the two jump forward buttons are now probably a bit more useful. But the whole remote needs a complete redesign.

The display of programmes recorded is excellent. Each mini screen and progamme details enlarge as you scroll over them, making them very easy to read.

I found the EPG loads much faster than on the 350.

I may be imagining it, but I think picture quality is slightly crisper too (I am running it through a DVDO).

Haven't tried to dub a disc yet, which was always a bit of a palaver on the 350s, so can't comment if that's improved. Tried some editing out of adverts on the HDD (which is usually necessary prepatory to dubbing onto disc) and found it pretty easy - again once you work out what the counter-intuitive task labels mean.

Timer recording is easy via the EPG, but of course if set for weekly recording it simply records the same time every week until you cancel it and gives the programme the same name even if a new series has replaced it. That is to say, don't expect it to do a series link style IQ2 operation that can recognise particular programmes.

All in all happy with it and will probably buy another one for my brother's family for Christmas. (Poor chap is still using a VCR and STB.)

Had the 480 for a few weeks now and am pretty pleased with it. I already own two 350s, so the counter-intuitive buttons on the remote are quite familiar to me (but drive my housemate crazy). I like the new ten second backward jump button and the two jump forward buttons are now probably a bit more useful.

Hi Biber

I agree with all your comments re 480 although I have the lesser sister ship 380. Could you guide me re the following, I know the +60sec & -10sec buttons but which are the " two jump forward buttons "? Do you mean the Skip buttons?

Hi Baird, I was referring to the +60 sec button and another one I think is called Timeslip (or something similar). You press it once and a small screen appears with "0 seconds" and you use the centre arrows on the remote to select how far you want to jump forward.

Hi Baird, I was referring to the +60 sec button and another one I think is called Timeslip (or something similar). You press it once and a small screen appears with "0 seconds" and you use the centre arrows on the remote to select how far you want to jump forward.

Seriously misguided user interface there.

Timeslip (or something similar). You press it once and a small screen appears with "0 seconds" and you use the centre arrows on the remote to select how far you want to jump forward.

Surely you mean "0 min", it would take longer than a second to press timeslip up once then ok to skip forward one second. :D

Oh yes, I know about the Timeslip button & use it all the time for editing. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...