2010 Panasonic Dmr-xw380 And Xw480 Dvd Recorders

I can't find any on E bay,could you please provide a link

Hi

I cannot find the Extrastock item now either. This is the page I get when I click on the link I have for it.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/PremiumHomeTheatre/

It was on this page when I originally posted. Based on my experience with them I expect they will have the xw380 listed again soon at the same price. I purchased another Panasonic item from Extrastock, basically they sell excess and refurbished stock from Panasonic and others. They don't provide after sales service. Extrastock is the name Premium Home Theatre use on eBay and elsewhere. If you subscribe to their sales notice you will know when it is in stock again.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed panaonic support asking whether I could connect the unit to my PC via a home network to view the contents. Here are my questions & the (less than satisfactory) response:

===========

Details: I have a couple of queries about the DMR-XW480 model, which I may purchase. The manual says: "You can enjoy the video and still pictures saved on the HDD of this unit on DLNA compatible equipment connected via a network." So, can I connect the unit to my PC via my home network and watch the video files (stored on the XW480 HDD) on my PC? Can I also copy the video files to my PC for later viewing on my PC? Also, I know that Divx files can be played; can Xvid files be played by this unit? Thanks.

Response:

The DLNA function is not able to use as requested. Using the DNLA features on the recorder and PC allow the Data from the PC to be played back through the recorder or to a TV. It used for assess only and not able to be used to copy date from a PC to the recorder or from recorder to PC.

Panasonic does not have a product that is Xvid Compatible.

===========

I don't think the response is satisfactory, and I doubt he knows what he's talking about given that the manual says nothing about playing back PC files on my TV (it specifically states you can watch files from the recorder on other dlna compliant equipment). If I made my PC dlna compliant, which I should be able to by installing the freeware XBMC (which is not just for XBox - there is a PC version), then I see no reason why the recorder should not be seen, and the files able to be streamed (& copied) to the PC.

Has anyone tried this, or got the knowledge to try this? It seems too that the dlna features of the DMR-XW480 are the same as the DMR-BW880 (blu-ray recorder), so if it works on one it should also work on the other (indeed, the manuals are identical in regards to the dlna instructions).

Thanks for any assistance.

Is there anyway I can programme the dmr380 to record the ABC between 7pm and 8pm monday- friday with a "one off" entry or do I have to put it in manually for each week day ?

With Weekly mode selected (Green Button) you should be able to cycle the daily recording setting to Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, Mon-Sun or individual days with the Up/Down cursor keys.

Can someone give me some advice.

I can pick up the DMR-XW380 from the Good guys for $560.00 or i can purchase the DMR-EX79 for $420.00.

I have a pioneer that has recently gone bung and it's being repaired. I like the pioneer due to the manual recording mode and high speed copy.

I realise the machines now a days dont have the manual rec mode which puzzles me but that's another story.

So the main thing i need the new machine to do is high speed copy.

I know the dmr-ex79 has the feature.

The 380 is a great price but the sales reps are telling me the only recording speed to discs is at normal speed which doesn't really assist me for what i want. They tell me it's great value as it's twin tuner. I can switch to tv mode to watch something if i'm recording so that's not really that important either.

At present my foxtel just goes straight into my pioneer direct, no outside aerial is used, only the foxtel and it's through an input. Can i do this with the panasonic being that's its twin tuner. Would i still be able to watch 2 foxtel programmes if i was recording one and lastly i read that one has to be recorded in dr mode. Can i at a later date convert te dr quality into sp quality and put it onto disc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

So the main thing i need the new machine to do is high speed copy.

I know the dmr-ex79 has the feature.

The 380 is a great price but the sales reps are telling me the only recording speed to discs is at normal speed which doesn't really assist me for what i want.

The XW380 has high speed copy, but there are a few * attached to it;

• recorded show is XP, SP, LP, EP or FR mode only (not any of the higher quality recording formats). This is probably no different to your Pioneer recorder.
  • ensure "Rec for High Speed Copy" is enabled
  • Titles that contain many deleted segments. –
  • Titles that have been copied to the HDD from an SD card or a Panasonic’’s video camera, etc. with HDD (SD Video)
  • +R, +R DL, +RW Titles recorded in ““EP”” mode and ““FR(recordings 5 hours or longer)”” mode.
  • +R, +R DL, +RW Titles recorded in 16:9 aspect –
  • -R, -R DL, -RW‹(V) Titles recorded in 16:9 aspect using ““EP”” mode or ““FR (recordings 5 hours or longer)”” mode

At present my foxtel just goes straight into my pioneer direct, no outside aerial is used, only the foxtel and it's through an input. Can i do this with the panasonic being that's its twin tuner. Would i still be able to watch 2 foxtel programmes if i was recording one and lastly i read that one has to be recorded in dr mode. Can i at a later date convert te dr quality into sp quality and put it onto disc.
The twin tuner aspect is for use with FTA, not external inputs like Foxtel. If all you are doing is recording Foxtel, then the single tuner is all you need, but if you have an external aerial, then I would recommend a twin tuner.

You can record in DR mode and convert to SD at a later date, however, I wonder whether DR mode is only for digital recordings (FTA) not analogue ones like your Foxtel will be.

Edited by diesel

The XW380 has high speed copy, but there are a few * attached to it;

• recorded show is XP, SP, LP, EP or FR mode only (not any of the higher quality recording formats). This is probably no different to your Pioneer recorder.
  • ensure "Rec for High Speed Copy" is enabled
  • Titles that contain many deleted segments. –
  • Titles that have been copied to the HDD from an SD card or a Panasonic’’s video camera, etc. with HDD (SD Video)
  • +R, +R DL, +RW Titles recorded in ““EP”” mode and ““FR(recordings 5 hours or longer)”” mode.
  • +R, +R DL, +RW Titles recorded in 16:9 aspect –
  • -R, -R DL, -RW‹(V) Titles recorded in 16:9 aspect using ““EP”” mode or ““FR (recordings 5 hours or longer)”” mode

The twin tuner aspect is for use with FTA, not external inputs like Foxtel. If all you are doing is recording Foxtel, then the single tuner is all you need, but if you have an external aerial, then I would recommend a twin tuner.

You can record in DR mode and convert to SD at a later date, however, I wonder whether DR mode is only for digital recordings (FTA) not analogue ones like your Foxtel will be.

Thanx for that Diesel.

I read the book at the shop but the salesman still insists it only does normal speed copy.

If i could pick one up for 560.00 compared to say 430.00 for the ex79 then should i go for the better value machine. Some shops still have the 380 at 799.00 at present. Or am i really just wasting another 100 odd dollars for a twin tuner that i will most likely never use. The only good thing is one is a hd tuner and the other a sd tuner but with the hd tuner you would be using more disc space when placing stuff on disc wouldn't you?

If i could pick one up for 560.00 compared to say 430.00 for the ex79 then should i go for the better value machine. Some shops still have the 380 at 799.00 at present. Or am i really just wasting another 100 odd dollars for a twin tuner that i will most likely never use. The only good thing is one is a hd tuner and the other a sd tuner but with the hd tuner you would be using more disc space when placing stuff on disc wouldn't you?
Are you always going to be using Foxtel or is there any possibility you may ditch it?

If it's always going to be Foxtel, the IQ is the best recorder, and use a cheap HDD DVDR for archiving. But if you might go down the FTA route, then IMO a twin tuner is a must.

The Panasonic (or any twin tuner) can receive SD and HD transmissions. It's whether they can decode them that is the difference between a HD model and a SD model. Therefore, the XW and BW series recorders as well as any other HD twin tuner unit can receive and decode SD and HD signals. So you can record two HD or two SD services, or 1 of each. The issue of at least one recording one in DR mode is a Panasonic limitation when you want to record two shows simultaneously.

Are you always going to be using Foxtel or is there any possibility you may ditch it?

If it's always going to be Foxtel, the IQ is the best recorder, and use a cheap HDD DVDR for archiving. But if you might go down the FTA route, then IMO a twin tuner is a must.

The Panasonic (or any twin tuner) can receive SD and HD transmissions. It's whether they can decode them that is the difference between a HD model and a SD model. Therefore, the XW and BW series recorders as well as any other HD twin tuner unit can receive and decode SD and HD signals. So you can record two HD or two SD services, or 1 of each. The issue of at least one recording one in DR mode is a Panasonic limitation when you want to record two shows simultaneously.

Probably not Mick. If i place it in the lounge it will be running purely through foxtel but if it's in the bedroom it will be connected to a hd tv.

I have heard /read these 380's have tuning problems which is a bit of a worry, not if i run it through foxtel obviously but through the tv in the bedroom i may have problems as my aerial isn't that strong.

What i really want is one that fast copies so if this one does it then i'd say $560 is a pretty good price.

What actually is FTA?

FTA = Free To Air

It's the free channels that are broadcast through the air - ABC, SBS, CH7, CH9, CH10, 1HD, TVS, ABC2, ABC3, ABC News 24, SBS HD etc or "Freeview"

Yeah, the reports of weak, struggling tuners is a bit of a worry.

I realise the machines now a days dont have the manual rec mode which puzzles me but that's another story.

What exactly do you mean? You can just press the Record button if you want to record something manually, or you can manually programme it to record something at a specific time or record from the EPG, how many manual recording modes do you want?

:huh:

What exactly do you mean? You can just press the Record button if you want to record something manually, or you can manually programme it to record something at a specific time or record from the EPG, how many manual recording modes do you want?

:huh:

With the pioneer and the old sony who copied pioneer you had sp,lp,xp etc and the manual mode of mn32 through to mn 1 so you could actually set you recording mode manually to one of those settings. I use mn13 quite a lot. It gives me 3hrs 20 on a disc and the quality is very good. It was a very good feature.

Ended up buying the 380 today for $555.00 from the Good Guys. Tuned in perfectly and am running it in the bedroom.

Tried recording a show and then tried cutting out the commercials. There were no chapters in it so i will have to read the book. What i liked about the pioneer was that it actaully showed the breaks where the commercials were and therefore it only took me a couple of minutes if that to cut out commercials in a 2 hour show. I had to search for them with the Panasonic.

The LP is quite good quality, it surprised me. I have a LG i use for emergencies and the Lp on that is very poor.

Also i read the epg had probelms. I have checked it and go and nine are a week ahead so that looks fine.

With the pioneer and the old sony who copied pioneer you had sp,lp,xp etc and the manual mode of mn32 through to mn 1 so you could actually set you recording mode manually to one of those settings. I use mn13 quite a lot. It gives me 3hrs 20 on a disc and the quality is very good. It was a very good feature.

Panasonic's have the FR mode which fits the content to a disc in the highest possible quality. If you record in DR (uncompressed) mode and then you can copy to a disc in FR mode, the machine will encode the video in real time so that it fits the disc perfectly with the highest possible quality. Bit of a round about way of doing it, but it works and the quality on the Panasonics are very good up to around 3:30hours, almost SP quality.

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect and transfer data from these units to another source (PC/External HDD etc.)? Or even replace the hard drive and connect the old one to a computer?

Otherwise I don't see how you could do anything with HD content other than play it from the unit.

Edited by bingbongbu

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect and transfer data from these units to another source (PC/External HDD etc.)? Or even replace the hard drive and connect the old one to a computer?

Otherwise I don't see how you could do anything with HD content other than play it from the unit.

I too am hoping that this unit can be connected to a PC to transfer HD content, which may be possible through dlna (since it is dlna certified), but it seems no-one has tried this yet.

If I made my PC dlna compliant, which I should be able to by installing the freeware XBMC (which is not just for XBox - there is a PC version), then I see no reason why the recorder should not be seen, and the files able to be streamed (& copied) to the PC (XBMC can apparently act as a dlna client as well as server).

Has anyone tried this, or got the knowledge to try this? It seems too that the dlna features of the DMR-XW480 are the same as the DMR-BW880 (blu-ray recorder), so if it works on one it should also work on the other (indeed, the manuals are identical in regards to the dlna instructions).

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I changed my DVD player to a DMR-XW350 and now my surround sound through my Marantz SR3001 receiver does not work.

Marantz told me to make sure I output in bitsteam so I changed the sound settings to bitstream but my receiver still shows as PCM.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

What audio settings have you got setup on the DVDR and AVR?

How are they connected - coax/optical/HDMI?

When you say 'surround sound' do you mean DD5.1?

Do you mean surround sound for DVD or FTA or both?

Thanks for responding Mick

What audio settings have you got setup on the DVDR and AVR?

Dynamic Range Compression - Off

Downmix - Surround encoded

Bilingual Audio Selection - M1

Digital Audio Output - PCM Down Conversion - Off

- Dolby Digital - Bitstream

- DTS - Bitstream

- MPEG - Bitstream

Audio Mode for XP Recording - Dolby Digital

Audio Mode for DV Input - Stereo 1

Audio Mode for Digital Broadcast - Dolby Digital

Audio Channels for HG / HX / HE / HL recording 5.1 channel

Im not 100% sure of the AV receiver settings as a professional set it up

How are they connected - coax/optical/HDMI?

Optical

When you say 'surround sound' do you mean DD5.1?

Yes im trying to get DD5.1

Do you mean surround sound for DVD or FTA or both?

Mainly DVD but not 100% sure what FTA is

I know this is a Panasonic thread, but thought I would mention I ended up with the LG HR598D and couldn't be happier. Snappy menus, wireless streaming, external HDD etc.

I looked at this unit, but it was missing something critical IMO: editing capabilities. There was no way to cut out ads or trim the start/end of recorded programs. Yes, this is ok for those that do their editing on a PC, but most probably don't.

1. Because the disc would soon fill up to its 35 hour limit. We don't always watch things straight away and delete.

2. The point of a mute button is that it is instantaneous and more convenient. That is why most controllers have them.

I've just bought the 380 and still have a 350 but as I understand it, when recording two stations at at once only ONE of them has to be DR mode not both. Cetainly that has been the case on the 350 & I can't check the 380 at the moment as it is copying but I know I've got timers settings for two stations at once & only one is in DR.

Whilst on the subject of my 380 which I've bought for the bedroom and guess what the 380 is superior to the 350 (lounge room) in quite a few little ways and now i want to move all the stuff from HHD drive on 350 to HDD drive on 380 (swap the players locations) is there any quick way I can do this with cabling rather than copying to DVD and transferring that way? Any help would be appreciated.

Hope this helps

Edited by Baird

I looked at this unit, but it was missing something critical IMO: editing capabilities. There was no way to cut out ads or trim the start/end of recorded programs. Yes, this is ok for those that do their editing on a PC, but most probably don't.
Are you referring to files on the HDD? If so page 40-42 of the manual tells you how to edit recordings. You can set up to 20 partial deletion sections. This would allow topping/tailing and editing out ads.
Whilst on the subject of my 380 which I've bought for the bedroom and guess what the 380 is superior to the 350 (lounge room) in quite a few little ways and now i want to move all the stuff from HHD drive on 350 to HDD drive on 380 (swap the players locations) is there any quick way I can do this with cabling rather than copying to DVD and transferring that way? Any help would be appreciated.
DVD is the only option, unless you want to try opening the units up and swapping HDDs?

The comment was in response to someone suggesting the LG HR598D as an alternative to the panasonic. The LG lacks editing capabilities; the panasonic xw380/480 does allow editing.

Edited by tjb

DVD is the only option, unless you want to try opening the units up and swapping HDDs?

Thanks Diesel, as always you can be relied upon to come up with the answer, even though in this case it was not what I wanted to hear. I've already started the process of copying and it's probably going to take less time than I had first feared but thanks for settling the question.

Best regards, Baird