2010 Panasonic Dmr-xw380 And Xw480 Dvd Recorders

Looks like I have spoken too soon!

The same thing has started happening to this one too, so now my mum thinks hers have come from a bad batch!

But I dont know if she has done something without realising.

Spoke to the store and we have to take it back within 14 days to get a refund (which is today)Grrrr

Cant understand how it can be ok one min then nothing, even tried to restore it to default and shipping condition and it wont even do that!It shows some tv stations still tunned in and now a lot of the other guides are missing!

Also after trying to restore it to factory condition, I was expecting the set up eg select region etc to come up but cant get that either!

She wants to tape the tennis so it looks like she will be going back to her old faithfull video recorder even though the picture is s...

Its put me off getting one for myself now as the only way to record win or go is to press the record on the remote to start recording and let it run until the show finishes, which is a bit of a waste.

I am wondering if earlier models had this problem also, so it looks like I have a few forums to read through!

The sensitivity of these tuners does seem to be an issue, this includes the bw880/780 Blu-ray recorders as well. Have you had the signal coming from the antenna checked by an antenna installer. They should be able to plug in some test equipment and see what the signal is like. I assume it is an external antenna.

If you have a HDMI cable plugged into the TV and recorder, it can try to download information from the TV. It does it with my TV although it is also a Panasonic. Does the region come up correctly ?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sensitivity of these tuners does seem to be an issue, this includes the bw880/780 Blu-ray recorders as well. Have you had the signal coming from the antenna checked by an antenna installer. They should be able to plug in some test equipment and see what the signal is like. I assume it is an external antenna.

If you have a HDMI cable plugged into the TV and recorder, it can try to download information from the TV. It does it with my TV although it is also a Panasonic. Does the region come up correctly ?

The store gave us our money back.

They said they will have a play around with the unit to see what happens then they will let us know the results.

I told them I also wish to buy one but am put off a bit now.

He said he has not had any others come back only these ones from us.

So we will wait and see what he says.

It could be some thing from the anntenna but my mums tv is ok and the recorder tuned in the tv stations ok its just this guide that is playing up.

But if they guide is not showing and you cant record its a waste of $600.

The store gave us our money back.

They said they will have a play around with the unit to see what happens then they will let us know the results.

I told them I also wish to buy one but am put off a bit now.

He said he has not had any others come back only these ones from us.

So we will wait and see what he says.

It could be some thing from the anntenna but my mums tv is ok and the recorder tuned in the tv stations ok its just this guide that is playing up.

But if they guide is not showing and you cant record its a waste of $600.

May just be a dud unit.

Our 2 worked perfectly immediately. We are in a hilly area.

After turning everything on, it takes 30-40 seconds to get a picture, and as with the TV alone, channel changes take a few seconds.

There's a few people reporting less sensitive tuners in Panasonic recorders. Seems a shame, as the rest of the product seems pretty good, and the tuners in their TVs seem pretty sensitive too.

I wonder if they've changed the tuners from previous models?

I have a DMR-XW300 and it's fine.

I wonder if they've changed the tuners from previous models?

I have a DMR-XW300 and it's fine.

I guess they are all trying to cut costs these days.

A few quirks with the 380:

To record 2 programs at once, one must be at the highest quality, DR.

There is a limit of 32 programs that can be pre-programmed. You can still manually save things though.

No mute button. You have to use the TV one, which is just a nuisance.

EPG displays could be better.

No return button to swap between channels, as the TV can.

Apart from that, it is very ease to use. Don't know why i worried about it.

Some reviews are too technical and find problems that won't concern me, others are too vague and don't give an accurate view of typical usage.

Imagine asking a retailer about all of its features.

So you really have to get one to see if you like it.

From forums like this I picked up that the Pannies were generally very good technically, and I now agree.

This is the same with all of this unit's predecessors, not just the 380, so you aren't missing out on anything.

I believe the explanation given was that they only have the ability to compress one recording at a time into a different format, eg XP, so one has to be DR.

This is the same with all of this unit's predecessors, not just the 380, so you aren't missing out on anything.

I believe the explanation given was that they only have the ability to compress one recording at a time into a different format, eg XP, so one has to be DR.

Yes, it's not a real problem, you just have to be aware of it every time you record a second item.

It doesn't actually tell you at that point, but it will have an error message elsewhere. So unless you look the second recording will not start.

I had to actually read the manual at this point...

Why not just record everything in DR mode?

No mute button. You have to use the TV one, which is just a nuisance.

Are there volume keys on the remote?

No return button to swap between channels, as the TV can.

Panasonic seem to persist with this for all their TVs too :( . Fortunately for me my PVR does have a return function, but I barely use it

1. Because the disc would soon fill up to its 35 hour limit. We don't always watch things straight away and delete.

2. The point of a mute button is that it is instantaneous and more convenient. That is why most controllers have them.

1. Because the disc would soon fill up to its 35 hour limit. We don't always watch things straight away and delete.

That's assuming everything you record is HD? there are many more SD channels than HD channels eg GO!, 7TWO, ABC1/2/3, SBS1/2, 10 etc. I lived with the 200GB HDD on my Beyonwiz P1 for 2 years with no issues, but must admit occasionally transferring shows to my NAS to free up space...but very rarely.

2. The point of a mute button is that it is instantaneous and more convenient. That is why most controllers have them.

I guess my point is that the XW don't have any audio controls. Recorders/players are just that...they output the source and the display is what should have audio control...unless you have a Panasonic TV as well and therefore can use VieraLink. Personally, I'd suggest investing in a Harmony URC - you won't look back!

Yes, it's not a real problem, you just have to be aware of it every time you record a second item.

It doesn't actually tell you at that point, but it will have an error message elsewhere. So unless you look the second recording will not start.

I had to actually read the manual at this point...

Yeah, that's what they say - "If all else fails read the manual".

I'd have to double check, but I thought you got some sort of message at the end of setting a simultaneous DR recording to make you twig that something isn't quite right?

(I'm talking from my experiences with an XW300 but you'd think the software would be similar)

I'd also agree with diesel's suggestion re the Harmony Universal Remote to solve the 380 mute issue. I have a Panasonic TV and 2 Panasonic DVD-R's and use a Harmony instead of Viera Link. They're a bit fiddly to set up but once you have it right they're money well spent.

Plenty of discussion on them here;

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0

Edited by BigBad64

Has anyone had an issue with the time on the clock of their 380 showing 30 minutes early, and the EPG showing shows starting 30 minutes before they actually do?

Edit: A bit more searching revealed the below and answered my own question;

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...id=1570927&

Yes I have had the same problem

Go into clock settings and make sure in the daylight saving time it reads 00.00 and not automatic or anything else.

Just an update.............

I ended up taking 2 x 380 back to the store, then bought another one from another store.

I had the same issue of the tv tuners in the recorder not showing the EPG for Win and GO.

The guy from the store tested some more in his shop and they were the same,

He contacted Panasonic and they confirmed that they know and that there is a problem with these new models.

So they are looking into it and said they will either be looking at downloading the correction through the TV station when they have sorted it out or otherwise one of their technicians will come out with a USB and download the correction that way.

Just thought I would let you know in case others get the same problem :D

Just an update.............

I ended up taking 2 x 380 back to the store, then bought another one from another store.

I had the same issue of the tv tuners in the recorder not showing the EPG for Win and GO.

The guy from the store tested some more in his shop and they were the same,

He contacted Panasonic and they confirmed that they know and that there is a problem with these new models.

So they are looking into it and said they will either be looking at downloading the correction through the TV station when they have sorted it out or otherwise one of their technicians will come out with a USB and download the correction that way.

Just thought I would let you know in case others get the same problem :D

We don't get WIN here, but the EPG for GO shows the current and next prog only, as it does for 9.

I put this down to Ch 9 displaying their reluctance to give info to the EPG.

Just found out also that if a DVD is playing, you can't access the HD without stopping the DVD.

So if you want to start recording, you can, but then you have to restart the DVD, with all that entails.

Oldies at this game will say they know this, but us newies are still learning. Manual just says some progs won't work depending on the media playing. True.

No worries, can I tap into the xw380 hdd via the network and transfer the files to the computer where I can edit the content and then burn to DVD?

No, can't do that. They only way to transfer recordings off the machine are via DVD discs.

No worries, can I tap into the xw380 hdd via the network and transfer the files to the computer where I can edit the content and then burn to DVD?

Its very easy to edit on the pana hdd then burn to disc.

We don't get WIN here, but the EPG for GO shows the current and next prog only, as it does for 9.

I put this down to Ch 9 displaying their reluctance to give info to the EPG

Thats what I thought, but then I had the thought of seeing if the tuner in my pana plasma showed up all the EPG for all the stations and it did, thats when I realised it was the tuner in the recorder that was the problem.

But when I took it back to the store, and a second one, they said they had sold loads of them and never had any issues, even when I bought the 3rd one from another store they said the same thing so I can only gather people had the same issuses, but like you just put it down to it not being broadcast.

The only reason I pursued it was to make recording easier for my mum. but now we have showed her how to go into prog check to manually do it, so she is happy with this until the problem gets fixed :D

Guest bunnyman62

Hi , i purchased the dmr380 yesterday . Its replaced a Topfield Masterpiece. With the Topfield if I wanted to record the ABC between 7pm and 8pm monday to friday then I only had to make one entry on the timer recorder screen and select "every weekday". Sure enough on getting home from work at 830pm I could then replay the ABC news and 7.30 report.

However with the dmr 380 I can only find the option of a "one off " recording for say monday 28/06/10 between 7pm and 8pm ABC or "weekly" which i presume will record the ABC again between 7pm and 8pm in a weeks time ( i presume 02/07/10)

Is there anyway I can programme the dmr380 to record the ABC between 7pm and 8pm monday- friday with a "one off" entry or do I have to put it in manually for each week day ?

Hi , i purchased the dmr380 yesterday . Its replaced a Topfield Masterpiece. With the Topfield if I wanted to record the ABC between 7pm and 8pm monday to friday then I only had to make one entry on the timer recorder screen and select "every weekday". Sure enough on getting home from work at 830pm I could then replay the ABC news and 7.30 report.

However with the dmr 380 I can only find the option of a "one off " recording for say monday 28/06/10 between 7pm and 8pm ABC or "weekly" which i presume will record the ABC again between 7pm and 8pm in a weeks time ( i presume 02/07/10)

Is there anyway I can programme the dmr380 to record the ABC between 7pm and 8pm monday- friday with a "one off" entry or do I have to put it in manually for each week day ?

I hope Panasonic haven't stuffed up something else in the 380 that worked perfectly in earlier models.

In my XW300 when you are setting the timer recording and you select weekly, it then lets you further select with the left/right arrows MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON-FRI, MON-SAT or MON-SUN.

Surely there has to be something like that on the 380?

Guest bunnyman62
I hope Panasonic haven't stuffed up something else in the 380 that worked perfectly in earlier models.

In my XW300 when you are setting the timer recording and you select weekly, it then lets you further select with the left/right arrows MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN, MON-FRI, MON-SAT or MON-SUN.

Surely there has to be something like that on the 380?

Thanks mate .......i just kept scrolling from 1 day ( mon) to monday to friday .......alls well.

Couldnt find the info anywhere in the instruction manual.

Thats one less job