Free To Air Satellite

Also whats the status of free to air HD channels on satellite, is this likely to ever happen? Is it likely that the government will step in with legislation? Just what exactly.

Exactly the same as Eleven. The FTA broadcasters aren't interested in paying Optus even more to relay those channels via sat. They have a budget to meet and the cost to do it is prohibitive.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your response davmel. However I am aware that the free to air channels have to pay for the space. Was wondering if there's any other way around it.

I'm in Adelaide am on foxtel sat have mediastar box and I get 7,9 & 10 from sydney melb & bris. Go & 7two I was getting gwn & 9 perth but scrambled a few weeks ago how is this posible

I was getting gwn & 9 perth but scrambled a few weeks ago how is this posible

GWN and 9 Perth are part of the regional Aurora and VAST services on the same sat. They might have been unencrypted for a brief time but they are normally encrypted and you need an appropriate card to decode them. A Foxtel card is useless as they are completely different services using different encryption.

You should only scan the channels for the Foxtel service otherwise you have lots of channels you can't view.

With this said has there been a statement released by the network 10 about eleven and foxtel. And it stuffs me how abc24 can afford to be on foxtel and not 7 9 and 10s hd. Have they ever issued a statement about it. Or should I send some emails and post the responses. For everyone to read

With this said has there been a statement released by the network 10 about eleven and foxtel. And it stuffs me how abc24 can afford to be on foxtel and not 7 9 and 10s hd. Have they ever issued a statement about it. Or should I send some emails and post the responses. For everyone to read

i'd be interested to hear their response..!

seeing as channel 7 and 9 have paid for their alternate sd channels on foxtel, channel ten really have no excuse not to include channel 11

on foxtel..

With this said has there been a statement released by the network 10 about eleven and foxtel. And it stuffs me how abc24 can afford to be on foxtel and not 7 9 and 10s hd.

The ABC lease an entire transponder on Optus D3 (12177V) just for their Foxtel/Austar FTA re-broadcasts. As long as they can squeeze ABC24 or any other channel in to the transponder they don't have to pay Optus any extra. The other FTA networks lease sub-transponder space so if they want more channels they need to pay more.

I rang channel 10 about eleven. Am ringing back on Tuesday as the department that deals with it is on annual leave till then. I will put a response online when I ring. In regards to the money. These networks record massive growth every year. The can afford it, the don't pay because they have a monopoly over the tv industry and someone like mr conroy should stand in with a solution. Its free tv. It should be available everywhere in australia on every format. Whether that be optus, foxtel, iinet, etc. Who cares. Its free, it should be on all formats. I get it good, we get all the channels minus hd and eleven which doesnt exist yet. Think of the areas who dont get any free to air.

Edited by lukeconnolly

I rang channel 10 about eleven. Am ringing back on Tuesday as the department that deals with it is on annual leave till then. I will put a response online when I ring. In regards to the money. These networks record massive growth every year. The can afford it, the don't pay because they have a monopoly over the tv industry and someone like mr conroy should stand in with a solution. Its free tv. It should be available everywhere in australia on every format. Whether that be optus, foxtel, iinet, etc. Who cares. Its free, it should be on all formats. I get it good, we get all the channels minus hd and eleven which doesnt exist yet. Think of the areas who dont get any free to air.

Do you get full free-to-air digital via normal means, ie terrestrial or cable?