Panasonic Viera Tc-p50v10 50" Plasma Hdtv - Tips And Tricks Thread

Are you experiencing the problem with the V10 where there is static picture noise when changing from an SD to HD channel as a number of users have reported as you seem to have the latest build date/firmware version.

Yep has the flash of noise.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've emailed Panasonic about the various firmware versions & what differences (if any) there are. I've also quized them on the "flash" issue. I'll post their reply when I hear back from them.

Andys.

Look forward to hering your response.

Funny you should say "if any" as I was going to call them but - call me a cynic - I felt it was possible they would say something along the lines of there being no difference. Of course this would have bugged the hell out of me, as I am of course certain they wouldnt just incremement the numbers for no reason, so I decided to avoid that poptential frustration.

Edit: Andys. I notice you have a fabled pioneer display. Im interested to hear how you rate the panasonic given that you already have such a high standard panel to compare it with.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

It took me a little while to work it out, but you can change them. I set up FTA and Austar the other night. It's in the manual if you look closely.

C'mon lickster, not the manual! Can you explain it here? Pleeasssee! hehe.

Actually, all i want to know is : can you change the source of the second 'picture' or only the first? If so, HOW?

Cheers :-)

Guest chosen1
Are you experiencing the problem with the V10 where there is static picture noise when changing from an SD to HD channel as a number of users have reported as you seem to have the latest build date/firmware version.

I had a panasonic tech (well someone panasonic booked from AWA) come down and have a look at it, and he said it seems to be a design issue (thus likely to be a hardware problem). He said he would be willing to replace the A-Board (have no idea what it exactly is but said its the main component involved with the TV functionality) but wouldnt think it would fix it.

C'mon lickster, not the manual! Can you explain it here? Pleeasssee! hehe.

Actually, all i want to know is : can you change the source of the second 'picture' or only the first? If so, HOW?

Cheers :-)

I'm just trying to rack my brain how I did it !! I'm at work atm and haven't got the TV in front of me.

I think I went into PiP and set one AV channel, then "swapped" pressing one of the coloured buttons and selected that one ? I had to read the page of the manual a couple of times to get what it meant though.

I'll have a look when I get home and post when I remember !

I had a panasonic tech (well someone panasonic booked from AWA) come down and have a look at it, and he said it seems to be a design issue (thus likely to be a hardware problem). He said he would be willing to replace the A-Board (have no idea what it exactly is but said its the main component involved with the TV functionality) but wouldnt think it would fix it.

It's interesting that he offerred to fix that, as to me that would suggest an acknowledgement of a problem / fault. This would open the floodgates given that it seems to effect everyone (I havent noticed, but I am using my htpc). So if I fancied a change of TV next year I could just state mine has the same problem..... get it fixed..... see the problems is still there, and get a new TV :D ......

...........unless Im missing something.

Guest chosen1
It's interesting that he offerred to fix that, as to me that would suggest an acknowledgement of a problem / fault. This would open the floodgates given that it seems to effect everyone (I havent noticed, but I am using my htpc). So if I fancied a change of TV next year I could just state mine has the same problem..... get it fixed..... see the problems is still there, and get a new TV :D ......

...........unless Im missing something.

Dont know about the 'getting a new tv part' but he definitely acknowledged that it was a problem...

Edit: Andys. I notice you have a fabled pioneer display. Im interested to hear how you rate the panasonic given that you already have such a high standard panel to compare it with.

I've never had them side-by-side, but the Panny stands up reasonably well. It is obviously a cheaper panel (by nearly half), so one has to lower their expectations. The Pioneer has less reflections, handles SD material better, slightly smoother on 24p material (I don't use the Pannys '24p Smooth Cinema'), access to more settings & better speakers. When you look at picture quality of HD material they're pretty close, though you would give it to the Pioneer.

For a panel that's nearly half the price the Panasonic is a very decent performer and is certainly great value for money. For the job it does I would have expected to pay more.

Andys.

I've never had them side-by-side, but the Panny stands up reasonably well. It is obviously a cheaper panel (by nearly half), so one has to lower their expectations. The Pioneer has less reflections, handles SD material better, slightly smoother on 24p material (I don't use the Pannys '24p Smooth Cinema'), access to more settings & better speakers. When you look at picture quality of HD material they're pretty close, though you would give it to the Pioneer.

For a panel that's nearly half the price the Panasonic is a very decent performer and is certainly great value for money. For the job it does I would have expected to pay more.

Andys.

Hmm interesting.

Also interesting to note the comment re: access to more settings, as I was recently re-reading some old overseas reviews that I looked at before my purchase (such as this one http://ftafilesn3.info/panasonic/ ) and I realise just how different the Aus model is in this regard, as they seem to have access to a lot more variables than we do here. Ultimately if Im happy with the picture I dont suppose it matters, but I cant help feeling a little short changed.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

Hmm interesting.

Also interesting to note the comment re: access to more settings, as I was recently re-reading some old overseas reviews that I looked at before my purchase (such as this one http://ftafilesn3.info/panasonic/) and I realise just how different the Aus model is in this regard, as they seem to have access to a lot more variables than we do here. Ultimately if Im happy with the pictgure I dont suppose it matters, but I cantg help feeling a little short changed.

Same here. After reading the os reviews I downloaded the Australian manual & found a few things missings. Utimately though it's the job it does that matters, and THX mode inparticular is quite stunning. As I said, for the price it is great value for money.

I've emailed Panasonic about the various firmware versions & what differences (if any) there are. I've also quized them on the "flash" issue. I'll post their reply when I hear back from them.

Andys.

A Panasonic tech rang me today to explain the different software versions: He said since the manufacture of the V10 they have made some very minor circuitry changes along the way. He emphasised "very minor" changes. The software had to be modified slightly to adjust to the changes in the circuitry. The end result is still exactly the same, regardless of your software version. There are no advantages or disadvantages if you have a later software version or an earlier version. He did not go into detail on the circuitry changes, as I would imagine it is proprietary material. Take from that what you will.

On the matter of the "flash" issue, he said they are aware of it & are currently investigating possible causes & wether or not it can be fixed with a firmware update. It is a "quirk" with the V10 series & possibly something we may have to live with. Personally I don't see it as an issue, & infact wasn't aware of it until I read about here!

Andys.

Edited by andys

Same here. After reading the os reviews I downloaded the Australian manual & found a few things missings. Utimately though it's the job it does that matters, and THX mode inparticular is quite stunning. As I said, for the price it is great value for money.

Your right, and I am happy. I tend to dwell too much on insignificancies. Im sure if the o/s models came in standard, hot pink, or polka dot yellow I'd be dissapointed not to have the options, despite not wanting them.

I'd say more than a few things though......

... now I think........... hot pink.... hmmmm ^_^

A Panasonic tech rang me today to explain the different software versions: He said since the manufacture of the V10 they have made some very minor circuitry changes along the way. He emphasised "very minor" changes. The software had to be modified slightly to adjust to the changes in the circuitry. The end result is still exactly the same, regardless of your software version. There are no advantages or disadvantages if you have a later software version or an earlier version. He did not go into detail on the circuitry changes, as I would imagine it is proprietary material. Take from that what you will.

On the matter of the "flash" issue, he said they are aware of it & are currently investigating possible causes & wether or not it can be fixed with a firmware update. It is a "quirk" with the V10 series & possibly something we may have to live with. Personally I don't see it as an issue, & infact wasn't aware of it until I read about here!

Andys.

There you go... didnt I say.. I knew they would play up the lack of any difference.

whilst they may try and make out that they play to the rule "If it aint broke, w'ell fix it anyway"... I find this most suspicious and cant believe that they made circuitry changes for no determinable reason. :angry2:

There you go... didnt I say.. I knew they would play up the lack of any difference.

whilst they may try and make out that they play to the rule "If it aint broke, w'ell fix it anyway"... I find this most suspicious and cant believe that they made circuitry changes for no determinable reason. :angry2:

You would have to imagine though that it's not anything of major significance, otherwise they would have to do a product recall. It may well infact be something reasonably minor. A little suspicious yes, but they're not about to tell us are they! We'll never know, so it's probably not worth worring about.

Andys.

You would have to imagine though that it's not anything of major significance, otherwise they would have to do a product recall. It may well infact be something reasonably minor. A little suspicious yes, but they're not about to tell us are they! We'll never know, so it's probably not worth worring about.

Andys.

Im sure.. but something minor... even something very very very minor.. is still something.

Gimmie a few days. Il ge over it.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

Thought I'd post this here, but apologise for those that find the connection tenuous.

As some would know from other posts I have made I have read many reviews on o/seas V10's. This got me to wondering as to how I know the V actually deals with a 24p signal corrrectly. I mean yes, I should know from looking.. but given my lack of experience with such things I did not know how obvious this would be, and o/seas models have the 24hz setting in the menu's. Fortunately I realized that the IFC setting actually changes from IFC to 24p smoothfilm when a 24p source is detected, so I have one less thing to niggle me.

(I should note that I am not USING the IFC function, merely noting it as an indicator of the input signal)

On a v v v loosely related topic (not "V" centric, and probably only useful for HTPC owners, unless perhaps DVD players have selectable options rather than automated settings - I dont know-, and even then only relevant to those of us that have any NTSC discs) I have been reading up on the telecine process employed in DVD authoring. It turns out that most - if not all - DVD's are actually encoded in a progressive format, but in a container that imposes the locally used interlacing rates (60hz for NTSC). On a htpc most software players it seems actually extract the original 24p non interlaced material, as a result providing an original non interlaced format for display. For me this was interesting as my "media centre" was set up to change my display to the source rate, so in the case of NTCS it was chaning the panel to 60hz, but in fact the movies were then being shown at 24p. Having corrected my settings to set the display / panel input to 24hz I can see notably improved results, and of course am taking advantage of the panels ability to accept these rates.

For PAL the rules are not the same as essentially the film is speeded up for the DVD in most cases (although I have read some comment that suggest an additional frame is added on occassion instead of this speeding up). As such the non interlaced material - which is still extracted by the software players - is then output at 25hz, therefore the setting at which I have the panel remains at 50hz, which works fine. I am still a little curious as to whether the extra frame theory is true at all, becuase if it is then it is possible these discs may still potentially have a 24p film available, which would of course effect the settings I would select for the screen. Im sure no-ones that interested, but being the stubborn git I am Ill let you know if I find out anything more re: the PAL telecine format.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

anyone have some decent settings for a HTPC?

GAme seems to be the only setting where you can turn overscan off but its a horrible setting for a HTPC

every other setting seems you can't do anything with overscan

Just in relation to my post above I have uploaded a video of my problem @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLG69w3h50

I tried starting a new thread about this issue, but the forums didnt allow me for some reason...Anyone here give me some insight about this? Other people are too having this problem and I enjoy my TV but if i switch over for my third tv now and get the same problem, I will be pissed.

ok not exactly sure what i did but ALL modes now do NOT overscan

even in THX mode if i set 720p the display tells me its reverted to 720p ect to

GAme seems to be the only setting where you can turn overscan off but its a horrible setting for a HTPC

Its only THX that cant access overscan. Also, on the htpc you should be able to sort out overscan before you transmit the signal (though I have to say I dont know how, I just believe I have read it. Anyway its kind of moot, as overscan is available on all other modes)

FYI I personally put up with non overscanned issues to enjoy the THX and not loose any picture.

Edit.. sorry, I misread. And as you have also clarified, overscan off is available in all modes.

Edited by BadBeachBoy

volvi, how high up is the tv???.... im gonna replace the cabinet that i have now and your one seems quite high up but has three shelves...just wondering how high up it is..

Seeing all the regular cabinets around I decided they were all mostly too low between 350 - 500. I felt with my screen and sitting position I wanted to slightly look up or straight rather then down. So I specifically sought out cabinets that were 600+. My one is 650 high and its absolutely perfect for viewing. There arnt to many 600+ cabinets. This one is also piano black finish. Comes in 2 pack for assembly. RRP $699 - $799, I got it for $525.

I'm with you, Volvi. Would much rather look slightly up than down, and the vast majority of entertainment units are very low.

I got one that is 700mm high - a touch taller than yours, but probably a similar angle overall since my TV is a fairly distant 3.5m from the seats.

Looks good there, though you seem to be a little short on components :P