IGNORED

HDMI ARC problems...old Panasonic Viera Plasma.

Hello to all, this is my first "request for help" post.  I own a venerable old HD plasma tv, the Panasonic Viera TH-58S20A.  I am feeding the digital audio from the tv to my SONY STR-DE675 AV 5.1 amp via TOSLINK.  Here is my problem...
I have a HDMI switch sending the bluray, PVR and PC audio signal to the HDMI 2 (the ARC input, according to the Viera manual) input.  When watching standard TV (free to air tv) the surround sound indicator light shows full 5.1 sound coming into the amp but when I switch to any of the external HDMI devices there is no 5.1 indication...only PCM.  Is there something wrong or something I am missing?  Any help appreciated.  I am at the point of just connecting each external source to the amp with TOSLINK cables...fortunately the amp has 3 TOSLINK inputs.

Edited by stroppy

22 minutes ago, stroppy said:

Hello to all, this is my first "request for help" post.  I own a venerable old HD plasma tv, the Panasonic Viera TH-58S20A.  I am feeding the digital audio from the tv to my SONY STR-DE675 AV 5.1 amp via TOSLINK.  Here is my problem...
I have a HDMI switch sending the bluray, PVR and PC audio signal to the HDMI 2 (the ARC input, according to the Viera manual) input.  When watching standard TV (free to air tv) the surround sound indicator light shows full 5.1 sound coming into the amp but when I switch to any of the external HDMI devices there is no 5.1 indication...only PCM.  Is there something wrong or something I am missing?  Any help appreciated.  I am at the point of just connecting each external source to the amp with TOSLINK cables...fortunately the amp has 3 TOSLINK inputs.

Do you have to set the BluRay player to 5.1 in the player menu?
nothing in the menu set-up of the TV?

19 minutes ago, Misternavi said:

Do you have to set the BluRay player to 5.1 in the player menu?
nothing in the menu set-up of the TV?

Yes, all set to 5.1.  The weird thing is that when I try to access Viera Link the tv flashes this message:  "Feature unavailable."  I'm almost at the point of ditching it all and just getting a soundbar but I have all my speakers and the surround speakers are installed in the ceiling.  It would be a waste of money.  

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

The Panasonic Plasma ARC implementation is likely the cause of the problems.  I gave up on mine and used optical.

Yes, I think this is the case.  I will be going with Toslink from now on.  Thanks to all who replied.