Foxtel Contracting Installer Issues

Do the work properly in the first place and you don't get a rework ! It is in your contract relating to the installation of component leads. If you are preventing the customer from receiving the fullest service offered by Austar (ie not using component which gives them a lesser image quality where its available) than your contract states that a QA can replace or repair components if the customers service is affected preventing them from receiving the optimal service level. The backcharge is for the time taken for the QA to remedy the install to Austar spec.

cant agree more squibby, just do the work 'properly in the first place' and no one will be on your back!!! it been 15 odd years and we are sill talking about the same issues in this industry!!!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant agree more squibby, just do the work 'properly in the first place' and no one will be on your back!!! it been 15 odd years and we are sill talking about the same issues in this industry!!!

Agreed why don't we ALL do the right thing (Its not hard)and then maybe we can have some leverage.

And get payed on quality work and preforman

Well I can understand techs cutting corners on jobs to save money so they can pay they bills but when your 35 miles behind the line and work for Foxtel as a Customer Field Supervisor its obvious your going to say something like that.

Well I can understand techs cutting corners on jobs to save money so they can pay they bills but when your 35 miles behind the line and work for Foxtel as a Customer Field Supervisor its obvious your going to say something like that.

And there is a difference between taking obiouvs shortcuts and taking shortcuts.

Leaving a HDMI cable/compisite cable off is obiouvs using 2 clamps on conduit insted of 4 is not obiouvs

Not stapping the cables to the wall is obiouvs, not using tape and cable ties on the dish isnt.

QA's aint going to go too hard or fail you if you forget a few cable ties, or some electrical tape, or terminators on multiswitches or QLNB, or the conduit doesnt have 4 clips.

Or have put the cables in the same cavity as the power point (by LAW/Standards its ment to be sheilded from from power cable by 50/100mm (cant quite remember) which is usually a beam or the uprights in the wall) because you flicked out the powerpoint to get up the wall.

They are going to fail you if you do something thats fairly obious to them.

Most QA's are contractors themselfs.

Actually the terminators on the MS or QLNB is a critical defect I understand, and will be fixed on site and will cost you a min. of around $40 to $50.

All I am saying is, the tech should have the first opportunity to re-attend and fix the issue, it would be far cheaper for him. If it has not been done within 48 hours, then a back charge is applied, as the contract says, and as they have said in tech alerts in the past.

I am only looking at a fair outcome for a person who works hard.

And there is a difference between taking obiouvs shortcuts and taking shortcuts.

Leaving a HDMI cable/compisite cable off is obiouvs using 2 clamps on conduit insted of 4 is not obiouvs

Not stapping the cables to the wall is obiouvs, not using tape and cable ties on the dish isnt.

QA's aint going to go too hard or fail you if you forget a few cable ties, or some electrical tape, or terminators on multiswitches or QLNB, or the conduit doesnt have 4 clips.

Or have put the cables in the same cavity as the power point (by LAW/Standards its ment to be sheilded from from power cable by 50/100mm (cant quite remember) which is usually a beam or the uprights in the wall) because you flicked out the powerpoint to get up the wall.

They are going to fail you if you do something thats fairly obious to them.

Most QA's are contractors themselfs.

Actually the terminators on the MS or QLNB is a critical defect I understand, and will be fixed on site and will cost you a min. of around $40 to $50.

All I am saying is, the tech should have the first opportunity to re-attend and fix the issue, it would be far cheaper for him. If it has not been done within 48 hours, then a back charge is applied, as the contract says, and as they have said in tech alerts in the past.

I am only looking at a fair outcome for a person who works hard.

A missing 75 ohm terminator is service affecting. It provides a service not optimum to Austar standards (From a conversation held with a QA). However I do agree that a missing terminator shouldn't be a backcharge (for once whispa and I agree on something :D ). These don't directly impact the service quality that the customer would receive. But I still hold strong to the fact the techs should do it right the first time. Saves all the back charges and BS associated with what we all talk about here.

But yes, a terminator doesn't impact service levels for the customer and therefore aren't liable for a critical defect under the contract. But if you stand up and state this fact, your fom will put you out of route and make you poor. Do it right the first time, save the crap associated with it.

sorry yatesy73 im not 35 miles behind and i dont work for Foxtel but have been in the industry of more than 15 years and just sick of hearing and seeing the same **** and same complaints

A missing 75 ohm terminator is service affecting. It provides a service not optimum to Austar standards (From a conversation held with a QA). However I do agree that a missing terminator shouldn't be a backcharge (for once whispa and I agree on something :D ). These don't directly impact the service quality that the customer would receive. But I still hold strong to the fact the techs should do it right the first time. Saves all the back charges and BS associated with what we all talk about here.

But yes, a terminator doesn't impact service levels for the customer and therefore aren't liable for a critical defect under the contract. But if you stand up and state this fact, your fom will put you out of route and make you poor. Do it right the first time, save the crap associated with it.

the reason why 75 ohm terminators are missing ............ coz most techs dont even know why they are there and they wouldnt even know what 75 ohms is !!!

$26 an hr? thats more than alot of jobs out there is it not? I think the award for most IT Jobs is around $22 per hour. Hey its a job thou that doesn't require much qualification at all right? So you all reckon, which is right, anyone can be given a tool and trained on how to use it, and do a dam good job?

And as someone who does current security installs, I'm get a little over that off a few large providers (NO not MR Alarms) but I also have to factor in my insurance, super etc so brings it down to about $25-28 an hr, which is the average among the Subbies that do security installs for the large providers. I will admit they pay travel too and provide all the stock. And my current tender to the gov for a few new learning centers was around the same.

and $26 is pretty good in perspective at 83k a year - van, fuel, phone, insurance, so 45-50k, better than stacking shelves at safeways NDC. Oh and their is the tax benefits.

But as I said before all everyone is doing here is wingding or they are ex installers who took the easy way out to do something else.

Instead of complaining and attacking the installers who like doing their job (which there are alot out there) and earning a decent wage for what they have to do and their based on what they are qualified to do, do something about it if it is really that bad.

The Problems with Aussies, which I soon got over is everyone wants heaps of money for nothing.

Common Sense wouldnt prevail on this forum full of keyboard warriors .

My partner is a tech - and I am in IT...... If the company I worked for paid me $22 an hour - I wouldnt bother going in.... My partner often does 7 days a week (ATM) and I do 5... He comes home after me and leaves for work before me..... After his expenses - I come out earning WAY more than he does....

• 3 weeks later...

Just threaten BSA with legal action if they rip you off (Like charge a Optus installer for someone else's Foxtel Stock), point out exactly where they have gone wrong in the contract, and how you have spoken to your solicitor, and they certainly bend over sideways to fix the problem and credit you the same day.

But I know why no Foxtel installer is posting here, because they are all busy busy in the leadup to xmas.

• 2 weeks later...
Just threaten BSA with legal action if they rip you off (Like charge a Optus installer for someone else's Foxtel Stock), point out exactly where they have gone wrong in the contract, and how you have spoken to your solicitor, and they certainly bend over sideways to fix the problem and credit you the same day.

But I know why no Foxtel installer is posting here, because they are all busy busy in the leadup to xmas.

Just for all you Foxtel installers I heard today that there is a new so called quality Manager in BSA that seem to be a F*** wit who is so bent on building these reports to analyse and crucify techs based on figures rather then going out himself to see the real world. So watch out guys.

Giddy up cowboys.lol :D

To my knowledge BSA Management have recently advised all its QA's to start using the so called Quality Process where by there will start back charging techs $65.00 for defective work and have them return to rectify within I think 5 to 6 days, if not rectified within those time frames, another charge of some $100.00 or so will apply immediatly and I think the tech gets dragged in and given some sort of warning.

I am not sure if this is in the contract for all you Foxtel installers, but this may be something that you need to check up on or consult your legal advisor as you may be one of those that may get hammered.

Just another way for BSA/Downer to increase profit margins.

• 2 weeks later...
To my knowledge BSA Management have recently advised all its QA's to start using the so called Quality Process where by there will start back charging techs $65.00 for defective work and have them return to rectify within I think 5 to 6 days, if not rectified within those time frames, another charge of some $100.00 or so will apply immediatly and I think the tech gets dragged in and given some sort of warning.

I am not sure if this is in the contract for all you Foxtel installers, but this may be something that you need to check up on or consult your legal advisor as you may be one of those that may get hammered.

Just another way for BSA/Downer to increase profit margins.

It's all gonna come crashing down on Downer in next few months. With more QA's and techs leaving as Downer have really taken things to the extreme with the new "life preserving rules" b.s . On average I have been told that at least 3 times a week techs all over Australia get a txt msg telling them that fellow subbies have been suspened for 2 weeks simply for not wearing PPE, not tieing a ladder off or not filling a fcking take 5! Downer still dosent get it! They simply don't pay the subbies enough money for them to abide to these new rules. Downer are just trying to simply trying the ole brain wash technique by striking fear into techs and backing them into a dark corner and forcing them to abide to there silly over the top safety rules to make there company seem more attractive on the share market to potential buyers rather then look after their "life blood" the techs its shocking isnt it. Ive heard other techs weekly profit go from $1200 to a mere $550 things are not looking to good.

It's all gonna come crashing down on Downer in next few months. With more QA's and techs leaving as Downer have really taken things to the extreme with the new "life preserving rules" b.s . On average I have been told that at least 3 times a week techs all over Australia get a txt msg telling them that fellow subbies have been suspened for 2 weeks simply for not wearing PPE, not tieing a ladder off or not filling a fcking take 5! Downer still dosent get it! They simply don't pay the subbies enough money for them to abide to these new rules. Downer are just trying to simply trying the ole brain wash technique by striking fear into techs and backing them into a dark corner and forcing them to abide to there silly over the top safety rules to make there company seem more attractive on the share market to potential buyers rather then look after their "life blood" the techs its shocking isnt it. Ive heard other techs weekly profit go from $1200 to a mere $550 things are not looking to good.

Stop complaining and start doing something about it?

Can anyone working for Downer confirm if one of the techs has taken them to Court challenging that they are employed as subbies when in fact they are employees.

There is no dispute that all the techs contracted by BSA/Downer are employees simply because it is a requirement of employment that BSA/Downer livery must be worn - it is a well established principle in industrial law that the mere wearing of company livery constitutes an employer/employee relationship.

Can anyone working for Downer confirm if one of the techs has taken them to Court challenging that they are employed as subbies when in fact they are employees.

There is no dispute that all the techs contracted by BSA/Downer are employees simply because it is a requirement of employment that BSA/Downer livery must be worn - it is a well established principle in industrial law that the mere wearing of company livery constitutes an employer/employee relationship.

I'd so no because no one will do anything about it, they prefer to sit on here a windge

Stop complaining and start doing something about it?

I don't work for Downer anymore so I thought Id just post some new news as this thread was going a bit dead. I'm just saying what I have been told by old mates of mine who are still doing the job and getting treating like slaves. No need to act like "Mr know it all"

• 3 weeks later...

All Foxtel Techs must be happy....no posts since last month.

Speaking of law and constitution and as all contractors are aware the Foxtel contracting companiies require us to submit a monthly capacity in advance and if it is busy expect the extra work to be picked up ....but what of the reverse....when work is light and there is minimal work, shouldnt they cop it from us?

Finding out the night before that there is only 1 or 2 jobs makes it hard for us to arrange alternative income especially as a lot of contractors have invested a lot of money in their business only to earn $100 for a days work.

What contractor could survive for very long if it stayed that way for a couple of weeks and as you all know the work is tapering off not increasing, or is it there are now more contractors and less work ro go around.

Time to get smart or get out.

Post your thoughts!