Panasonic Dmp-bd60 And Dmp-bd80 Now In Shops

Hello Chris,

did you get you BD80. I bought mine for $ 550 from HN and payed extra $ 50 for 5 years warranty. Good luck mate, it is a good player and for the last 8 weeks no troubles at all.

Ilian

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just letting everyone know, there is a firmware update for these players - Version 1.7, which apparently just improves disc compatibility. Mine downloaded automatically via my network, but if you go to the global support site you can download it onto USB or disc to install on the player.

Bought the BD80 last week....very nice player and I'm happy with the purchase. Have an older receiver so needed the 7.1 analogue outs for audio.

So if i have say an Onkyo 606 or Denon 789/1909 then I'd be fine with the 60 even though it lacks the analogue outs?

I'm a bit confused about which one to go for, being my first BR player -_-

So if i have say an Onkyo 606 or Denon 789/1909 then I'd be fine with the 60 even though it lacks the analogue outs?

I'm a bit confused about which one to go for, being my first BR player -_-

The 789 and 606 decode the HD audio. So its 1 cable from the player to the amplifier, where audio is decoded internally. In short - either one is fine. I have a 789 and it works well. If you plan to upgrade your audio side of things, consider that the 789 doesnt have pre-outs for a power amplifier, whereas the 606 does - slightly more "future proof" if you want more upgrades to your setup.

In the short term, and no power amp in the pipeline, either one is fine.

The 789 and 606 decode the HD audio. So its 1 cable from the player to the amplifier, where audio is decoded internally. In short - either one is fine. I have a 789 and it works well. If you plan to upgrade your audio side of things, consider that the 789 doesnt have pre-outs for a power amplifier, whereas the 606 does - slightly more "future proof" if you want more upgrades to your setup.

In the short term, and no power amp in the pipeline, either one is fine.

thanks mate, but now i'm even more confused as i thought the Onkyo didn't have the pre-outs whereas the Denon does?

there is a post in the HT section i think stating that.... :unsure:

damn this gets confusing quick lol, either way looks like im on a winner with the BD60...going shopping this arvo...excited :wub:

EDIT: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...4457&st=140 found it!

Edited by sanitarium

Ok couldn't find this in the manual. Instead of having to go into the setup and change from pcm to bitstream if you want your receiver /pre-pro to do the decoding for certain things, is there a way to do this on the fly like you can with the PS3? I only have everything set to pcm for BD for the HD audio but personally prefer my NAD T-175 to do the decoding for dvd's. Otherwsie if I forget to switch it back from bitstream to pcm to listen to a BD I have to stop the movie and start over. I really dislike the loading times on the BD-60 but what can you do? Spend 3 times as much (plus a little extra) and get a Sony Elite or a Oppo.

thanks mate, but now i'm even more confused as i thought the Onkyo didn't have the pre-outs whereas the Denon does?

there is a post in the HT section i think stating that.... :unsure:

damn this gets confusing quick lol, either way looks like im on a winner with the BD60...going shopping this arvo...excited :wub:

EDIT: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...4457&st=140 found it!

Ah I might have been thinking of the Yamaha 663 which did. I was tossing up between the 789, the 606 and 663 when I was looking, ended up with a 789 for 7-hundy :)

....ended up with a 789 for 7-hundy :)

son of a...!! stupid price rises can't find them anywhere for less than $900 <_<

anyhoo, went and looked at some panny's this arvo, Myer have the BD60 stickered at $449 and then i would assume 15% off in the half yearly clearance. Going shopping on saturday...pretty confident i can get one below $400 :P

Does anyone find the approx 2-3 second layer change pause on DVDs extremely annoying? Maybe I've been blessed with players over the years that read enough ahead for this not to happen.

I can't believe on a player of this price that it can't read ahead enough to avoid a pause on layer change!

I totally agree. You would think by now that would be in every BD player like the Denons had with the 2-3meg (cant remember exactly the number) buffer on their dvd players years ago. A bit lazy I think. I really wish and if possible that Panasonic could release firmware that could speed up the booting and reading of the BD discs. The Day the Earth Stood Still seemed to take ages. Terminator 2 just takes far too long the worst one yet on my BD-60.

Hi all,

Well I'm in a bit of a pickle so firstly,

I have a Panasonic BD60 player sending audio via bitstream over HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-LX60 receiver, now the problem is the player is telling me that DTS-HD MA is being played via the audio button on the remote...However i only get the DTS light on the front of the receiver & not the DTS-HD one that i should???

The disc i was playing is The Happening.

Gone bonkers over this i tell ya....

Update, The secondary audio is "off" on the player & i am using one of the EZYHD HDMI cables.

Going by this link:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/hom...221295/specs#cb

That receiver cannot decode the lastest HD audio internally going by the specs on the link. That seems to be your problem. If this is true change both Dolby Digital and DTS under audio to PCM (in the BD-60) and the player will decode the HD audio and send it as a PCM signal to the receiver (if it can receive and process pcm into 5.1/7.1) which in theory is the same as the receiver decoding it and no loss of quality.

*Update*

Unless it's this receiver:

http://www.pioneer.es/eur/products/42/98/V...X60/review.html

Then it should be working as per your original settings. I'm not familar with that model so it could be a setting under the audio options in the receiver. Have you tried another Blu-Ray with DTS-HD MA? Does True-HD work if you have a BD disc that has that?

Edited by Simon10

Going by this link:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/hom...221295/specs#cb

That receiver cannot decode the lastest HD audio internally going by the specs on the link. That seems to be your problem. If this is true change both Dolby Digital and DTS under audio to PCM (in the BD-60) and the player will decode the HD audio and send it as a PCM signal to the receiver (if it can receive and process pcm into 5.1/7.1) which in theory is the same as the receiver decoding it and no loss of quality.

*Update*

Unless it's this receiver:

http://www.pioneer.es/eur/products/42/98/V...X60/review.html

Then it should be working as per your original settings. I'm not familar with that model so it could be a setting under the audio options in the receiver. Have you tried another Blu-Ray with DTS-HD MA? Does True-HD work if you have a BD disc that has that?

Yes it is the later one in your post. I'm going to pick up a couple of other Discs today & see what happens.

Is it possible the Panasonic is downsampling the audio? It may be worth checking the players audio settings

No offense but he stipulated in his post that he has it set to outputting Bitstream and Secondary audio is off for both Dolby Digital and DTS. This is the correct setting for sending the HD audio to a capable receiver for decoding. The problem must be in the receiver and it's most likely a setting in the audio menu.

Well i don't bloody know.....Picked up YES man & Q of A on bluray, Yes man is true HD & Q of A DTS hd & still all i get is the standard DD & DTS on the receiver.

I will keep trying.

You have to manually select the disc to output Dolby True HD.

Have you selected the Dolby True HD audio in the movie's audio settings? (because like all BD, the default audio is DD, or DTS only)

And as above, set the BD player to PCM audio.

Sorry I'm a little confused here SHO. Which of the 2 links is the one you own? The first or the second?

If it's the first set the BD player to output PCM for both Dolby Digital and DTS that way the player will decode but on the receiver it will not display DTS-HD MA or True-HD but you will get the HD sound if the receiver can accept 5.1/7.1 PCM.

If you own the more resent receiver that can decode internally then set the BD player to Bistream for both audio formats and the pretty lights and display will show DTS-HD MA and True-HD on the receivers display.

Edited by Simon10