Biema W220ii 350wrms

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Miles,

I had that exact amp and used it to drive a dual voice coil Shiva sub that I built. I used a channel per voice coil. It was brilliant with heaps of grunt. It ran cool and was quiet as well. The worst thing was the bright blue LED on the front panel at night, which I put some tape on to cover it!

I sold the sub/amp setup to a guy on this forum who seems happy with it.

Altronics here in Perth sells them but not that cheap.

Cheers,

Chris

Hey guys ,

I've been seeing these around a fair bit on ebay. Has anyone tried one of these out or anything from the Biema W range ??

ebay link :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRANDNEW-BIEMA-350W...%3A1|240%3A1318

thanks

Miles

Edited by Chris H

thanks mate , hmm i wonder how they run for a set of 3 way speakers. also have been looking into cheaper behringer models and technical pro . . . :S what to get

At a guess, badly. These amps are designed to run PA systems no hifi. Probably good for a HT sub but.

Not sure if it's exactly the same thing, but there was a thread on Pro Amps HERE a while ago

Yar, it is.. Nice find.. Mitcon is using the 330 II I think (more powerful than the 220 II)...

This DIY 12V trigger from the thread... Is it legal? :ninja: Interesting, might be googling up info for doing this...

Yar, it is.. Nice find.. Mitcon is using the 330 II I think (more powerful than the 220 II)...

This DIY 12V trigger from the thread... Is it legal? :ninja: Interesting, might be googling up info for doing this...

I know Mitcon is enjoying his with his new speakers.

Not sure about the 12V trigger. I looked at it briefly and although I dont mind doing a bit of DIY on low voltage stuff, tend to stay away from 240V etc. The potential consequences are too high if something goes wrong.

I know Mitcon is enjoying his with his new speakers.

Cool.. Honestly did not expect that. Can't really try it myself coz no large speakers to play with.

Not sure about the 12V trigger. I looked at it briefly and although I dont mind doing a bit of DIY on low voltage stuff, tend to stay away from 240V etc. The potential consequences are too high if something goes wrong.

It's only 12V.. :ninja: Just yesterday I saw something in Bunnings - a switch that can be turn on/off by IR. Costs $30-$40 bucks I think.. Might get that instead if it allow discrete codes for on/off... Standby for that switch is 0.25W.. However standby for that 12V trigger thingie if not wrong is 0W.. :D But as you said, the consequences are too high...

Sometimes specs really do tell you something. Or, they should tell you something. For example:

* Power output measurements aren't much use without the frequency range they were measured over and the THD measured at that output.

* A signal to noise ratio quoted at "> 90db" does not inspire confidence. By way of comparison, an Elektra theatron has an SNR quoted at 124db. The difference is astronomical (although the Elektra is more than twice the price per channel).

Or, to put it another way, these amps are noisy. The appear to be well constructed and robust (all pro amps should be). Good for PA, good for studio monitors, good for open air concerts if you have a big enough stack of them, probably good enough for an HT sub. But these are not HiFi amps, one of the reasons they are relatively cheap.

I can't personally comment on these amps but..

Like all other amps, not all pro amps are built the same either.

Not sure whether they noisey or they have a higher than normal noise floor which would be two things that would annoy me.

Edited by the joz

Because SNR isn't all that important for that application. Power without clipping is. Mind you, if these things have fans they'd be useless.

I don't think I ever hear the fans (if it's ever on)... Been feeding the amp 150hz and below, it handles that well - seems to have an endless supply of juice. If all you want is power, it's certainly there.. :wub:

No idea about clarity in full range, but for <150hz, I'm happy with it...

dammit , i hate my life :( , it appears i have been robbed overnight, luckily they didn't manage to take my hd70 and jbl 4312s atleast:P but now will have to get this one or some thing around the same price range.

Edited by mp2031

dammit , i hate my life :( , it appears i have been robbed overnight, luckily they didn't manage to take my hd70 and jbl 4312s atleast:P but now will have to get this one or some thing around the same price range.

Robbed or burgled? Sorry to hear that.... Any insurance?