Advice sought for Iphone speakers please.

My wife is after something she can plug her Iphone into and play music through, like the Logitech Boom's etc. But she also wants it to recharge the phone at the same time. We have looked at the normal stuff available at the HN etc but the problem is that she plugs her phone in, presses play on a song, and I go "Nup, not getting that one, it sound crap". Then she mutters something like "Here we go again", and then the fight begins.

We fired up a $400+ Kicker unit and quickly turned it off, it even made rap music sound terrible. The only one I have semi-liked so far is an Altec Lansing unit.

What do others have? How is it? If you were to get another one, what would you get this time 'round?

Cheers,

Rob.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the Aktimate minis (and maxis?). I think they now have recharging docks in them, and with a combination of Creek and Epos the sound is meant to be very good for what they are.

Alternatively, you could by some type of charging cradle with a lineout - Onkyo maybe - then hook it into some Audioengine A2's or A5's, which produce a very good sound for their price.

Rob, I have noticed a bit of a problem as well. I have a elcheapo Logitech pair of speakers that you plug an Itype thingy into the top. The ipod sounds "fair" but the iphone is unlistenable!!! Read muffled soft and flat, yuk! I have not had time to investigate this yet but have noticed on compatability charts that many of these devices state all sorts of different ipod compatability but none seem to mention iphone? I am talking in the $100 to $300 elcheapo type bracket no Zepplins here. Will be watching this thread to see if I have overlooked something.

BR

Google tells me, my Speakers are not iphone compatable that's why!

Edited by Bluroo

Hi rob, I went through pretty much the same thing with my wife. And we got the same Altec Lansing you are looking at. Couple of hundred dollars less than the Bose, and same sound.

Certainly is going to annoy the audiophiles (oops, used that word) with the quality - but my advice is don't get too hung up on that - really it's the nature of this product category at this price point.

You might want to give the Tivoli songbook a try. There's one which has an iPod dock. I have one of these and the sound for such a small unit is pretty impressive. Only one speaker but you're not going to really be getting much of a stereo sound from 2 so close together anyway.

Hey guys Im new to this forum stuff!

I am in a similar position to Rob323 and I am in the market for and ipod/iphone speaker dock. I have looked at a few JBL docks but they still sounded a little tiny. Have any of you heard the B & W Zeppilin? I have also heard some good things regarding the Parrot Zikmu (but that seems a little more than I wanted to spend).

Thanks!!

Not sure that they are called the VAF Octavio anymore. Just the Octavio.

Heard somewhere that there was quality issues (believe they are made in China) and VAF wanted to distance themselves from the Octavio.

Does not seem to be on their website either.

I stand to be corrected on all this, so if this is not right please set the record straight.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, limited time over the last couple of weeks has meant we haven't yet had a chance to get out and listen to some of your suggestions.

Keep 'em coming though.

I have Octavio, and cannot fault it. Soundwise it is loud and goes much deeper in the bass than anything else I have heard, and the bass is tight. Very nice mid and treble, too (great clarity). It is big, however (relative to other players) but the sonic difference is big too. The bose sounds bland by comparison. almost sounds as good as the b&w zep. However, probably not available anymore.

• 1 month later...