New 2008 Sony Bravias

LOL. Whateva makes you happy. There is no way the bottom- mid range W is better than the top of the line X series let alone the V series (which you rate on par with the w). No contest. Maybe applying the correct setting on the X series before making comparisons would help you realise it the best LCD for motion. LOL

Sounds like you haven't seen the new W4000 series, they are better in most (if not all) area's than the 2007 X series (and cheaper as well). Of course, when the new 2008 X series come out I would expect them to be better than the W4000 series.

Finding stock of the new W series is tricky though, and I can't see heaps of people getting them before the PS3 deal runs out, but then again, I think that's what the PS3 deal is for, ie. getting rid of the 2007 Bravia's.

:)

Edited by johnny5

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB Hif Fi and sony store chatswood have them.

I sat on a seat in front of the w40 with the remote, FTA and remote in JB. A did a side by side with blue ray for 10 mins in sony store. I have owned 2 46x sonys. I stand by everything in my review.

Sony should not sell the x series with no xmb, epg stripped out and smearing, esp as premium prices.

Anyone looking to buy please consider these issues before buying x series. Please also consider samsung a650 52 INCH with 3 year warranty for about $3400.

If sony was in any way better than samsung why wouldnt they offer a 3 year warranty standard?

If anything I think samsung is keeping the good panels (eg 4ms) for itself. If sony used panels that could in any way be construed as 4ms response THEY WOULD QUOTE 4MS not stick to 8ms and look 2nd rate compared to samsung.

I reserve the right to make fun of anyone that buys a x series now that there are cheaper much better options at both 50hz and 100hz.

Take your time buying and be sensible and rational.

Rant over

"If sony was in any way better than samsung why wouldnt they offer a 3 year warranty standard?"

Length of warranty does not mean a better quality product.

If your competitor was offering triple the warranty at a lower price you would match the warranty if you had confidence in your product.

Anyone looking to buy please consider these issues before buying x series. Please also consider samsung a650 52 INCH with 3 year warranty for about $3400.

Interesting I have a 46x on order. Is there a massive difference in the PQ compared to the a650 or w4000?

Interesting I have a 46x on order. Is there a massive difference in the PQ compared to the a650 or w4000?

650 is noticable better PQ. Read cnet.com for each they gave A650 10% plus better score.

And whilst I hate 100hz the 650 does it the best and it could come in handy for sports and games.

Having said that I played ps3 on the w just then and motion is great. No game mode (presumably because the processing in normal modes doesnt introduce lag unlike past models ... faster chip or better software?).

If 650 had matt screen id get it, as it doesnt Im seriously considering the W. No 100hz or game modes =less obsessive sompultive disorder for me ... sit back and watch like the old days.

OH YEAH NO SPARKLES .... EVEN ON PS3 XMB. But the background was blueish and I couldnt change to black. Like I said Id say its a bit of noise due to the extreme sharpness of the W pic ... to my eye at least, its just razor sharp whereas many other soften/blur a fair bit to hide imperfections

Edited by mantronic

I've put the X on hold for now. I'll go back in on the weekend and have a look at the W's and Samsung. Apparently the 46W's are due in a week or so and I got an approx price of $2800.

I'll be sitting relatively close to the tv around 2m or less so I'm thinking of maybe the 40W now. hmmmm

I dont want to push people to w ... just want them to think twice before buying x.

Only x benefit IMO is motionflow but it starts to look odd after a few weeks and the consensus is leave it off.

100hz is essential on CRT and plasma which refresh 100 times per sec. LCD DOES NOT. It displays and holds until the image changes HENCE NO FLICKER AT 50HZ. 100hz is not widely understood on LCD ... At least thats my newb understanding.

100hz merely facilitates interpolation/motionflow which messes with the original look too much.

One thing I guarantee is that once you use a good EPG you will wonder how you lived without. I guess if you alway watch fox which has its own EPG its not an issue.

Biggest factor for me is bravia x styling ... Im not looking at that thing for years. Its personal though.

Other factor is consider going small ... 46 inch and above LCDs have bigger motion and dark/light spot issues. IF YOU MUST HAVE BIG and dont game tonnes the new panny plasmas are pure heaven. Blacks .. motion ... viewing angles .... miles ahead IMO. Cheap too.

Lots of conflicting views but IMO the above are obvious.

One thing I guarantee is that once you use a good EPG you will wonder how you lived without. I guess if you alway watch fox which has its own EPG its not an issue.

Hi mantronic, I have a mac mini at home with an Elgato EyeTV and IceTV EPG (www.icetv.com.au). How does the Sony's W EPG work? Is it a cutdown version of some sort of EPG broadcast via the networks? I can't imagine it's a full EPG like IceTV (which costs $).. and the telly would need some sort of Internet network connection.

Daz

Hi mantronic, I have a mac mini at home with an Elgato EyeTV and IceTV EPG (www.icetv.com.au). How does the Sony's W EPG work? Is it a cutdown version of some sort of EPG broadcast via the networks? I can't imagine it's a full EPG like IceTV (which costs $).. and the telly would need some sort of Internet network connection.

Daz

its just a 7 day tv guide broadcast by most stations (not SBS I think) but its alot handier than a tv week or going onto the net to find out whats on free to air (I dont use fox though which could be why its a big issue for me).

Other factor is consider going small ... 46 inch and above LCDs have bigger motion and dark/light spot issues. IF YOU MUST HAVE BIG and dont game tonnes the new panny plasmas are pure heaven. Blacks .. motion ... viewing angles .... miles ahead IMO. Cheap too.

I just picked up the new Panasonic 46" TH-PZ46800A and its a great TV, though its not pure heaven. Great for motion, and dark blacks even in low light as you said, but the picture isn't as crisp, and the edges as defined and detailed as on a good LCD. The 2008 Panasonic plasma's still suffer from the hazey edges like previous years models. Its a great TV, and the best option at its price point for television and movies, but its not perfect. Its pros outweigh its cons and put it ahead of any other TV on the market, bar probably a kuro.

I just picked up the new Panasonic 46" TH-PZ46800A and its a great TV, though its not pure heaven. Great for motion, and dark blacks even in low light as you said, but the picture isn't as crisp, and the edges as defined and detailed as on a good LCD. The 2008 Panasonic plasma's still suffer from the hazey edges like previous years models. Its a great TV, and the best option at its price point for television and movies, but its not perfect. Its pros outweigh its cons and put it ahead of any other TV on the market, bar probably a kuro.

I was going to get a Panasonic TH-PZ50800A but now im not so sure. I want the clear crisp image of a Sony and the motion and deep blacks of the Panasonic.... haha :unsure:

I was going to get a Panasonic TH-PZ50800A but now im not so sure. I want the clear crisp image of a Sony and the motion and deep blacks of the Panasonic.... haha :unsure:

... And the pana viewing angle. And the sony resistance to ir.

I dont notice the edging on the panas but many seem to.

im torn between the TH-PZ46800A and the kdl40w4000 at the moment.

leaning towards the sony for the ps3 though, going to be sitting relatively close to the tv around 1.5-2m

Get the W at dick smith and return if you dont like and get the pana. The pana is a nicer tv (my mate bought one ... cnet says it has Kuro blacks and they arent kidding) ... just remember that the phosphor trails for cod4 can unbearable whereas LCD blur is minor and you get used to it.

There is also the slight burn in risk/problems using as PC monitor which can be a deal breaker for some. Others dont mind but as a gamer/pc person those issues are pushing me back to LCD.

Get the W at dick smith and return if you dont like and get the pana. The pana is a nicer tv (my mate bought one ... cnet says it has Kuro blacks and they arent kidding) ... just remember that the phosphor trails for cod4 can unbearable whereas LCD blur is minor and you get used to it.

There is also the slight burn in risk/problems using as PC monitor which can be a deal breaker for some. Others dont mind but as a gamer/pc person those issues are pushing me back to LCD.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards LCD since I'd be gaming on it quite a bit. Leaning towards a 46 650a and with the money saved get an xbox :lol:

Thanks to all for your posts. Today I finally made a purchase and perhaps I can help out others by posting my price research. I am in Melbourne so this should help those Melburnians who have been getting relatively bad prices. I was shopping for the best deal between Sharp and Sony brands and finally decided on the Sony KDL46W4000 for $2700 at Camberwell Electrics (no. I didn't buy anything else or get the extended warranty). If you have never heard of this store I highly recommend you call them last. I have used them for all sorts of electrical appliances and they have never failed to beat any genuine price! Anyway, other prices I got were as follows

Sony KDL46X3100 - $3000 - Camberwell Electrics

Sharp LC46D83X - $2800 - Camberwell Electrics

Sharp LC46D63X - $2500 - Good Guys, JB, HN

Sharp LC52PD7X - $2700 - JB

Sharp LC46PD7X - $1850 - Retravision at Knox (they have about 6 and want to get rid of them. This was almost too hard to refuse.)

Homecast HT8000 PVR - $540 - Good Guys

These were all over the phone offers except the actual purchase and the Homecast purchase which I ended up getting from JB for $250 because I didn't want to wait for GG to get an order in.

I will copy this post to a number of relevant threads and hope it helps someone.

Thinking of starting a business on the side as a retail broker. I'll take 10% of what I save you on the ticket price. Anyone interested??

Cheers,

REV

i can't believe Sony Australia is selling a watered down version W series, this is just not acceptable. no 100Hz motion flow, and BE2 instead of BE EX, this new W series is actually going backwards, shocking!

Edited by eddieaus

i can't believe Sony Australia is selling a watered down version W series, this is just not acceptable. no 100Hz motion flow, and BE2 instead of BE EX, this new W series is actually going backwards, shocking!

Come on, read the reviews, everyone who has actually SEEN one is saying it is very good, just because the specs on paper don't look as impressive doesn't mean the next generation screen is worse... And isn't the BE2 newer generation and better then BE EX? I bought an x series anyway.

Come on, read the reviews, everyone who has actually SEEN one is saying it is very good, just because the specs on paper don't look as impressive doesn't mean the next generation screen is worse... And isn't the BE2 newer generation and better then BE EX? I bought an x series anyway.

Anyone with a W series seeing any sparkles?

see, this is exactly how people get tricked into buying the new models, they just assume the new one is better. BE2 is no better than BE EX, it still doesn't have DRC (Digital Reality Creation) like BE EX and BE PRO.

i'm not saying the W4000 is a bad product. but the truth is, this is the model that is being sold as a V series product (V440) in China and some other asian countries for under AUD$1500 (40'), and now sony australia brings it here and sell it as a mid-range for $2699. sure there is a free ps3 offer, but when it finishes, it will become a pure rip-off.

it will be interesting to see what the new X series will be like. maybe they just gonna bring W series from asia to here and sell it as X series.

Edited by eddieaus