Tivo

Or maybe they want people who have no prior knowledge about using an epg as the target market will be people without foxtel and they will want to examine the user friendleness for a first time user of an epg. And feedback will be seeked about the user friendliness.

I just don't think the Alpha testing will even look into that to be honest. They aren't redesigning their EPG for the Australian market. It will have the same basic software as the US TiVo. What's different between us and the states is our DVB standard and ISP's.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to know how many people originally expressed interest in being on the beta team.

I'm sure anybody who didn't answer that they had a router and one of the flavours of broadband would be cut from this survey.

god i hope anybody didnt say router telstra speedstream usb connection with 256k

i have foxtel but i hate it, i'd like something better. Fox to many adds, to many old shows getting repeated too often. i can flick through all the channels and find nothing but crap on all of them.

I feel the same way....

Just finished the second Tivo survey....all fingers crossed!

If you don't like fox and can't find anything to watch...cancel it = problem solved.

If only it was that easy, you see as far as pay tv is concerned for those of us that wish to have a variety of content we have no choice but to get foxtel, for me FTA is not a choice because I find it atrocious, Foxtel is not atrocious but is not far from it either.....look at it this way Foxtel is the lesser of 2 evils, thats why I'm really looking forward to Tivo's launch, because it may be the launching pad for competition in the pay TV sector.

Edited by palmag

Yeah , people like Forumite thinks its as easy as just cancel and if you dont then you should have to shut up and put up with it !

As you say its the lesser of 2 evils.

FTA's at least dont repeat the one show 4-6 times per week ! With Foxtel you surf ( I seem to be surfing all the time ) and come across something new

or something you havent seen for awhile.

With TIVO am just hoping that Foxtel lose enough subscribers for them to sit up and wake up and start offering some new shows, not repeat as much etc.

Of course TIVO wont cause Foxtel to go bust, but its already a fine line for Foxtel with the number of subscribers so if they start losing them they might

final act.

Time will tell.

Yeah , people like Forumite thinks its as easy as just cancel and if you dont then you should have to shut up and put up with it !

As you say its the lesser of 2 evils.

FTA's at least dont repeat the one show 4-6 times per week ! With Foxtel you surf ( I seem to be surfing all the time ) and come across something new

or something you havent seen for awhile.

With TIVO am just hoping that Foxtel lose enough subscribers for them to sit up and wake up and start offering some new shows, not repeat as much etc.

Of course TIVO wont cause Foxtel to go bust, but its already a fine line for Foxtel with the number of subscribers so if they start losing them they might

final act.

Time will tell.

thats why i like selectv 1/2 the price and still the same movies/reruns

Back on topic:

Has anyone else been asked to complete the second survey? I did it last Saturday.

Yes, I was asked to complete the second survey. Did mine Sunday. So you'll get in ahead of me. :)

They keep asking if I have broadband, which I do. Just not accessible from where my TV is. I guess I'll need to find a wireless router (or find the network cables embedded in my wall....). :)

i find the question about having pay tv interesting. Why would they need to know that??

Do you think we will be penalised for having Foxtel just because it's going to be a competitor with foxtel? Or do you think it's in our advantage because they might be able to steal us from foxtel??

Who knows.

I hope i get in!!

Employees of competitors of HTS or TiVo are not eligible to test. Access to the TiVo ® DVR – HTS Field Trials is limited to people who can access free to air television without the use of a subscription television set top box (or in other words, is limited to people who access free to air television using an antenna), and who have a broadband connection at home.

The foxtel question was a weeder - they only want people who have basic FTA access.

i have both FTA HD and fox. however the fox box usually sits on the CRT 68 TV most of the time in the family room.

the widescreen LCD HD Tv and surround system in the TV/movie room is only hooked up to Foxtel occasionally up to watch movies, when they have a good one i've not seen.

So what they need is ready to go, i get 95+ signal strength on digital hd from an antenna inside the roof.

Can't see why having foxtel is a disadvantage, i don't use it much the kids do in the other room.

Edited by icehouse

so anyone been approved yet for the testing?? can't be long now if they want to start by the end of the month...

No one will answer that question. If you get selected you'll have to sign a Non-disclosure agreement. Which by very nature would mean you couldn't disclose that your part of the testing team.

Hey Hosko; Do you believe that the question about Pay-TV is to "weed" those people out as Syvergy suggests?

I think that they would want people that only have FTA as well as the people who have Pay-TV.

Any thought?

Regards

anddy

Why would they want people who have foxtel??

They would pefer that you only watched Free to Air because that way it is likely that you will use the Tivo more during the testing period. They want people who will use the box heaps and they probably believe that a person that only uses FTA is going to use TIvo more than a foxtel person. Do you get what i mean?

Would you give up your foxtel for 10 weeks to test the Tivo??

They would pefer that you only watched Free to Air because that way it is likely that you will use the Tivo more during the testing period. They want people who will use the box heaps and they probably believe that a person that only uses FTA is going to use TIvo more than a foxtel person. Do you get what i mean?

Well its not like you'd miss anything. Come back to Foxtel in 10 weeks and it will be the same old same old :)

I cant remember what I put but I think I said have indoor antenna to access FTA , which I do and didnt mention Foxtel which is where I do get all my

FTA's from but as just bought a new plasma I got the antenna so could get TEN HD.

Hey Hosko; Do you believe that the question about Pay-TV is to "weed" those people out as Syvergy suggests? I think that they would want people that only have FTA as well as the people who have Pay-TV. Any thought? Regards anddy
Keep in mind its beta testing. They're not overly concerned about trying to match up target marketing at this point. Much more important would be a good spread of geographical location and a fair mix of user competence (probably weighted towards your more skilled individuals while you're concentrating on sorting out the bugs). The Tivo interface is 11 years old and I suspect they're not to concerned about users being able to understand how to use it (after all even Americans can :))

As for Foxtel v Tivo FTA, I'd anticipate that Foxtel households won't be the primary target. These households already pay a large amount for Foxtel and paying more is going to be a big ask (esp as most of the Tivo content is already available via Foxtel). They won't be able to poach many Foxtel users either. I'd anticiapate Tivo will be aimed squarely at households that have gone digital but have stayed with DVDRs (or god forbid VCRs). The subscription price will be significantly lower than Foxtel (more like $20 a month than $100 a month)

All that said, from a testing point of view I don't see why Foxtel households would be exclude per say, except that its highly probable that such households would watch the majority of there TV on the Foxtel and as such the Tivo is less likely to get a work out.

Peter Gillespie

Hey Hosko; Do you believe that the question about Pay-TV is to "weed" those people out as Syvergy suggests?

I think that they would want people that only have FTA as well as the people who have Pay-TV.

They have asked twice if you'll be willing to do "homework" for them. It might be a weeding question, if I was setting it up I would weight the answer's any negative answers would score a certain amount of points. If you go over too many points your out. I would think that having Foxtel might be considered a negative and score some points but I wouldn't think its a deal breaker. I think they would rather have someone who set up their own computer network and has the right internet connection and can get digital TV but has Foxtel over someone who doesn't have foxtel and isn't computer literate.

They'll have a certain number of people they want to add to a testing group. Depending on the size of the group not everyone will be an ideal candidate. So it will come down to how they weight the answer's. Needless to say only they know how the questionnaire was structured.

i do only watch FTA 99% of the time. 1 of 3 kids watch foxtel 99% of the time. which is why its on the other TV.

I also have 7 TV's only one uses foxtel rest are FTA in various rooms, including one in the garage. but the Lounge room TV get use 99% of the time by 4 ppl. ITs HD so i would have what they need. i'm the one doing the watching and reporting, 4 others watch FTA as well. Guess i may have stuffed it saying i have foxtel, that i don't watch myself, but at least i'm honest could have said i don't have it. i wish i didn't have it but i do.

PS no one can say if they are a tester. but someone could say all the testers are selected now so we give up waiting to hear something.

Edited by icehouse