Digitalview Dvr-810 Owners Thread

Hey,

I've had my DVR-810 for nearly a week and I'm very satisfied with it........BUT there are a few niggling "issues" that I would like to raise.

A link to this "Thread" is going to be sent to DigitalView "Control Dynamics Pty. Ltd." and hopefully they will join us here.

So I hope you all join me here to express your thoughts on the 810, and let us know what you LOVE and hate about it.

And ofcourse what you would love to see FIXED!!

Guy

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.............

My biggest concern is the audio dropping out in recording. While I admit I don't have the best "signal"........ the drop outs arn't there when watching "live", only on the hard drive copy.

Next...... If you start to watch a program that is STILL recording "Chase Play" you can NOT stop watching (from the Hd), if you press STOP all you get is the options yes/no/rename. Unlike when watching a different program (from Hd) while recording, you then get the option to choose which to stop.

From the aerial the plug in sequence is Dvr-810, VCR, then Pioneer LX508a. Why is it I get practically NO signal(its unwatchable) to either the VCR or Plasma when the 810 is either turned off or in standby??

Love to hear your thoughts

Guy

I too have experienced occasional sound breakups on replay that I don't think were there originally. I emailed Digitalview about this and was informed that this is most likely caused by transmission problems, antenna perfotrmance or electrical noise. I get a good signal where I live and very rarely see any problems watching live tv. Digtialview also advised that they will be releasing a firmware update shortly that will attempt to minimise any video or audio artifacts, hopefully this will help.

According to the manual "stop" is not available in chase play only pause, I don't find this to be a problem.

Since buying the DVR-810 I find I watch tv 95% of the time using its tuner not the tv's so the fact that it doesn't pass a very strong signal through when on standby isn't a problem.

Overall i'm very happy with the DVR-810, it seems to be a product that has been very well designed and tested and not plagued with the many teething problems other brands have experienced upon release.

Edited by peterca

I'm seriously considering returning mine today. While it simple to use and built like a tank the sound drop outs make it impossible to view recorded shows. Why does it always happen when something important is about to be said?? And the killer is...........sound drop out.........:o :o

Emails have been sent to Control Dynamics support and John Vandenberghe the national product representative.

Guy

Edited by creamop66

One per minute on some recordings. My partner was watching the carrols the other night and the picture FROZE as did the sound, then sound returned. She switched over to Plasma tuner and picture/sound was fine, back to 810 tuner and still frozen. We watched it back from hard drive and the sound/picture problem was there to, possibly worse.

Its a shame.

Guy

I am getting the audio drop out on replay as well - about once every five or ten minutes for a couple of seconds.

I also get a freezing of the live transmission. It is very short - less than one second but not very often.

I have a Digitalview DVH 505 tuner and do not have any problems with signal dropout.

I returned my 810 and got a refund. Probably use the money to build a HTPC.....well a few peices of Hardware anyway:p

All of this is very disappointing and only serves to undermine the image of the Digitalview 810 as a relatively expensive but high quality and super reliable alternative. People have talked about DigitalView waiting until they had the bugs ironed out before releasing the 810 in stark contrast to other brands whose products seem to be forever "works in progress"! However, dropouts and freezing of live transmission are far from trivial problems. (I hardly ever experience dropouts with my Topfield 5000!).

I was seriously considering buying an 810 for quality reasons even though the Beyonwiz is obviously much better value for money featurewise, but now I'm not so sure.

A link to this "Thread" is going to be sent to DigitalView "Control Dynamics Pty. Ltd." and hopefully they will join us here.

I wish that someone from Digitalview would bother to respond to the concerns expressed on this thread. In fact, why don't they have their own support forum if they are so confident about their product? I would feel very much more comfortable about investing in an 810 if I knew that the Australian designers wanted to know about people's concerns and were prepared to publicly respond.

Wayne

In fact, why don't they have their own support forum if they are so confident about their product? I would feel very much more comfortable about investing in an 810 if I knew that the Australian designers wanted to know about people's concerns and were prepared to publicly respond.

Wayne

Unfortunately that's the luck of the draw, I was sceptical about this product after reading about it's poor capabilites considering the huge pricetag after a user asked why this pvr wasn't listed as one of the best buys for a HD PVR. Even the user manual isn't available online for the 810.

I would feel more comfortable buying something knowing a company is prepared to work with users fixing problems (like Topfield & Beyonwiz) than nothing at all.

And as far as expecting these sorts of devices to work flawlessly without issue is probably asking too much.

I think if they even tried to do that nowadays their device would be out of date/obselete by the time they could release it.

As far as I know the only problem anyone has had with the DVR-810 is occasional audio dropuots which at this stage have not been identified as a machine problem, coulpd be reception / interference problems. My DVR-810 occasionally gets them too, but is not a real problem to me as it is only rare.

The DVR-810 does not have poor capabilities, the only thing it does not have is networking capabilities. This wasn't important to me, as i just wanted to record HD tv and it does this extremely well , everything just works as it should.

I had dealings with Digitalview before and after purchase and they are always very prompt and helpful with their replies, so the above speculation about their customer service is totally unfounded and based on speculation by people who have never owned their products or had dealings with them.

hello,

newbie here tothis forum.

Also,I am an owner of the 810,and am very pleased with it so far

I first bought the 810 as soon as it hit teletunes(Mildura)shelf.

Upon first installing the 810,it was a bit glitchy but ironed out well.

The PQ is way better than my HD sammy set top box.

For those of you that are experiencing certain issues,I hope these will be resolved soon.

Happy new year to all

Unfortunately that's the luck of the draw, I was sceptical about this product after reading about it's poor capabilites considering the huge pricetag after a user asked why this pvr wasn't listed as one of the best buys for a HD PVR. Even the user manual isn't available online for the 810.

I would feel more comfortable buying something knowing a company is prepared to work with users fixing problems (like Topfield & Beyonwiz) than nothing at all.

And as far as expecting these sorts of devices to work flawlessly without issue is probably asking too much.

I think if they even tried to do that nowadays their device would be out of date/obselete by the time they could release it.

We all seem quick to slam Digitalview for not fixing problems that have arisen. Maybe they are soak testing to confirm or deny its a machine fault? It took almost a year before the TF7000 was finally worth its asking price. We all seem to expect these companies to individually contact us with a solution. Ring them up - they are very helpful and are understanding.

Maton,

you said in your post that you know the at digitalview,which leads to ask,

Are you able (or can you ask them,digitalview) to allow for 576i output(true native)over the hdmi

as this would be of great benifit to people that have video processors.

At present,there is an i/p conversion going on inside the 810.

This is the only one thing that I would like to be different,other than that, I like this product very much

Are you able (or can you ask them,digitalview) to allow for 576i output(true native)over the hdmi

From the manual Page 7:

DVR-810 Video Output resolutions

The DVR-810 can connect to all TV monitors that support 576i, 576p, 720p or 1080i resolutions.

When selecting the video output resolution for your TV monitor , all digital input formats are converted to the selected video output resolution.

Ensure that your TV monitor supports one or more of the resolutions - 576i, 576p, 720p or 1080i. If necessary and only when connected to Component , RGB or HDMI , use the exit button on the front panel of the DVR-810 to select the appropriate video output resolution.

If you want to be sure give them a call:

Head Office:

Control Dynamics Pty. Ltd. / Digitalview

5 Bookham Street, Morley,

Western Australia, Australia 6062

Telephone: 08-9275-9700

Thanks for your reply Peter,

Ihave tried the exit button a multiple of times, with no 576i result,just 576p

I had already contacted digitalview about this and they said something along these lines.

"we have it 576p because some displays do not accept 576i via HDMI"

It sought of goes against what is stated in the manual. :angry:

It would be great if they can change this via firmware update :wub:

Does anybody know if there 810 can output 576i over hdmi?

Hi all,

This is my first post although Ive been following this forum for 3 years or so. It has given me invaluable advice in first purchasing my Pioneer hd 50in plasma 3 years ago and updating my sound system. Thanks to all of you who take so much time and effort to post advice. I have been following the hd pvr threads for 18 months waiting for a viable hd pvr. In the meantime I use a Hotchip hd stb to watch live the ABC and record on a Pioneer dvd hard disc recorder for watching later commercial channels. Of course this is only in sd. Ive been following the Topfield and Beyonwiz threads but now am seriusly interested in the Digitalview. My top priorities are excellent picture quality and 100% reliability of timers firing. I will only be using it to record programs and watch them later. The concern is the sound dropouts that has been mentioned but I guess that will be fixed with the upcoming updates. By the way the Hotchip hd stb gives me occasional dropouts, somedays every couple of minutes and somedays none at all. It leads me to guess it could be a reception problem.

Anyway Id just like to ask anyone who has the Digitalview can you tell me if anyone has had any problems with timers not firing. As noone has mentioned this Im guessing no problems. Any word on the upcoming updates. I notice that Klapp here in Melbourne are now selling them and will try them shortly as I got the plasma and sound system from them. I know they are more expensive than the Toppy and Wiz but Im happy to pay a premium as long as it does what its supposed to do without hiccups.

Cheers.