Fifth Element...stunning

Ok - re-read those old threads now......though I find the conclusions anything but convincing.

Basically the local version was confirmed NOT to have the Dolby THD track, so definitely a different pressing (encode) from the US remastered edition.

I find it extremely suspicious that the local version sports identical soundtracks to the the original US version. Does anyone really believe that Sony would have remastered a special version for Australia which included the new AVC video encode but omitted the Dolby THD soundtrack?

I mean why would they do that? Why do a different master (the soundtracks are part of the continuous datastream encoded on the disc) just for our tiny market when the US master was All regions anyway? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Despite positive reports of the PQ on the local version, I haven't seen any actual proof eg direct screenshot comparison to US version - indicating it includes the remastered AVC video encode.

I had similiar thoughts, however according to this review the version we are now getting here sans the TrueHD soundtrack, is the remastered version.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had similiar thoughts, however according to this review the version we are now getting here sans the TrueHD soundtrack, is the remastered version.

Ok, that looks more likely. The original US version only had the french/english DD 5.1 in addition to the english LPCM. They've substituted the (redundant) Dolby THD english soundtrack for a Spanish LPCM 5.1 soundtrack. That would make some sense for other regions.

Probably my faulty memory, but I thought the cover I saw in HN was labeled as having the french DD soundtrack - hence my thinking same as old US version - must have been mistaken (was mainly looking for evidence of the DTHD). :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JimboTHX1138
How do you tell between the older Fifth Element BR and the new remastered copy?

If you have a PS3, get the disc info up when playing the movie which shows you the bitrate etc. The original version was MPEG2 while the remastered version is AVC.

• Volunteer
If you have a PS3, get the disc info up when playing the movie which shows you the bitrate etc. The original version was MPEG2 while the remastered version is AVC.

Unfortunately that isn't going to help the person standing in the shop, disc in hand trying to work out which one it is. :wacko:

Guest JimboTHX1138
Unfortunately that isn't going to help the person standing in the shop, disc in hand trying to work out which one it is. :wacko:

There's only been ONE version released in Australia and it's the AVC remastered version. :wacko:

How do you tell between the older Fifth Element BR and the new remastered copy?

Courtesy of High Def Digest...

A note on how to identify this edition on store shelves: While the box art for this remastered edition is nearly identical to the earlier Blu-ray release, the words "Experience High Definition" appear in silver foil, (not gray), and Dolby TrueHD is listed among the audio tracks on the back of the box on this new edition.

Guest JimboTHX1138
Courtesy of High Def Digest...

That doesn't apply to the Aus version unfortunately as it's packaged in a different cover and doesn't have a TrueHD track.

I've got 3 copies myself too ... DVD, Superbit and Blu Ray .... I've been saving the Blu Ray one for the Xmas break .... :)

:lol: I did have four at one stage. The original DVD release, the collector's edition, the Superbit and the Blu-ray. Managed to sell the original DVD on ebay for $5 recently though. So back to a more respectible level these days :)

That it is. :D

Has anyone got "Starship Troupers" on blu-ray? I've said this before its the best I have out of 45 blu-rays movies I have now... The Odd thing is that its look super magic super sharp specially when the ships rip apart on the 71 inch TV but not any better on the 40 inch M81 if, not I would say the 40 inch loses out at its correct viewing distance.???

That doesn't apply to the Aus version unfortunately as it's packaged in a different cover and doesn't have a TrueHD track.

So there's no way of knowing which version it is prior to purchasing??? :unsure:

Or is it true that there is only 1 version of this movie in Australia (as someone has posted) which is the remastered version?

I saw a few at Borders ($20 gift voucher) but the staffs do not have a clue as to which version it is.

Guest JimboTHX1138
So there's no way of knowing which version it is prior to purchasing??? :unsure:

Or is it true that there is only 1 version of this movie in Australia (as someone has posted) which is the remastered version?

I saw a few at Borders ($20 gift voucher) but the staffs do not have a clue as to which version it is.

Yes, there is only the one version released in Australia. It is DEFINATELY the AVC encoded remastered edition, but without a TrueHD track.

I posted in another thread. I've made direct comparisons between the video on the Australian Blu-Ray disc and the US remastered one. They're totally identical (analysis in VirtualDub with zoom), but I do agree it doesn't make sense to omit the TrueHD track.

Sorry to go off topic, I can confirm Starship Troopers looks AWESOME. The CGI never looked so good.

(Right topic wrong movie Heeee)

That what I said. For a old move it incredible, Its at its best when the ships blow up you can see level by level clear as a bell. Can someone explain why some of the current movies are not so flash in any HD format. How can you have a movies that nearly 10 years old to be so good in multiple scenes?.

(Right topic wrong movie Heeee)

That what I said. For a old move it incredible, Its at its best when the ships blow up you can see level by level clear as a bell. Can someone explain why some of the current movies are not so flash in any HD format. How can you have a movies that nearly 10 years old to be so good in multiple scenes?.

Purchased a copy of The Fifth Element last night from Target and just watched it and yes picture wise its ok for PQ but watched again Starship Troopers just after it and I think Starship Troopers has more clearer and sharper scene

By the way I notice that The Fifth Element locks up now and then only in the first few minutes back in the early days, has anyone else noticed this too.

By the way I notice that The Fifth Element locks up now and then only in the first few minutes back in the early days, has anyone else noticed this too.

This was a problem with the Gen 1 Toshiba players, and was fixed nearly a year ago with a firmware patch.

This was a problem with the Gen 1 Toshiba players, and was fixed nearly a year ago with a firmware patch.

Funny thing is I updated the firmware to the latest V1.3 UK firmware and it fixed Die Hard 4 and the Simpson's but now I have noticed this on The Fifth Element, Are we all going to have this problem in the future?

New movies more firmware updates in the future and maybe after you update, previous movies that were ok play up with the latest firmware but did not before.

Funny thing is I updated the firmware to the latest V1.3 UK firmware and it fixed Die Hard 4 and the Simpson's but now I have noticed this on The Fifth Element, Are we all going to have this problem in the future?

D'Oh, I was thinking of Serenity when I replied before, not Fifth Element. I was not aware of any stuttering issues on Fifth Element (certainly is fine on my PS3).

What player do you have ?