Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

i signed up today.. got an install date of the 3rd June

Just got straight through to Foxtel(Roland). Could have had install week begining 2 June but my choice 10 June. Have a standard box on my secong outlet which will be upgraded at no cost to IQ1 and because I have an IQ2 the price of the second outlet drops to $14.95 per month. Happy Foxtel customer!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got straight through to Foxtel(Roland). Could have had install week begining 2 June but my choice 10 June. Have a standard box on my secong outlet which will be upgraded at no cost to IQ1 and because I have an IQ2 the price of the second outlet drops to $14.95 per month. Happy Foxtel customer!

What if you have 2 IQ2 boxes did they mention the price for that?

I guess the one good thing about the apparent rush of early adapters, judging by Foxtel being swamped, is that as a Satellite user I'll have a good 2 years to wait until I even get to think about signing on for HD. Hopefully by then the bugs in the system will be fixed, the iQ2 will have all it's advertised features enabled and the price will be more realistic.

Seems those are the only benefits to being on the satellite service.

I'm booked in for the 10th, getting one iQ2 the other staying as iQ.

I was told that the free to air HD channels will also be HD on foxtel, I didn't know that, which I think is good, saves me a few extra button presses which is what it's all about!

Hopefully they'll reconsider the Platinum free movies bit come Decemeber.

Well everyone...... I was week and rang Foxtel to enquire about HD (wait took less than 5 mins).

My current package costs $97.30 (with 1 x IQ). I ditched the mag saving $3.50 and went HD complete plus IQ2.

The new monthly fee is now $103.80. Only a $6.50 difference. I just have to wear the expensive $200 delivery fee + HDMI cable. I have consequently signed up for 02/06/08.

Edited by Cratra

well that was an ordeal

I just spent an hour from when I first spoke to someone. All I wanted to do was to go from 2*IQ1 to 1*IQ2, ie drop one outlet to keep it cost neutral. After 20 mins the first lady gave up and actually sent me through to another random department who said they knew nothing about HD. So back to the original number, then it took about 4 goes for the system to accept the upgrade / disconnection.

I have no faith that this will work out correctly. Once the furore has died down I might have to call to confirm. I suppose it is a bit much to expect the sales staff to be completley on top less than a week after training - I just hope that the IQ2 works better than their call centre staff and software.

would Major League Baseball games be on ESPN HD or Fox Sports HD, or does it go between both?

Given they said that HD will be shown in its original format, and Fox in the US is 720p and Fox Sports HD here is 1080i, by foxtel's own rules it can only be on ESPN HD which is 720p.

And by their own rules they won't be able to show NASCAR on Fox Sports HD either

FOXTEL’s five HD channels and HD+ update

By Patrick Delany on May 20, 2008 12:19 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Hope you like the new look FOXTEL HD+ microsite, which now has updated information about the HD+ service including how the HD channel packages and iQ2 will be structured. We’ve started contacting those people who have registered their interest in FOXTEL HD+ on this site to arrange install times, so if you haven’t registered, now is the time to do so.

I’m also able to share with you an update on our HD field technical trial which has been going fantastically well and we are really close to being able to start installing our first HD+ subscribers.

The HD trial has also shown we have better than expected performance of our compression technology, which means we will now be able to offer five dedicated HD channels when we launch, in addition to the FOXTEL Box Office HD movies On Demand service. Discovery HD and National Geographic Channel HD will be available as two, separate 24x7 channels.

The five FOXTEL HD+ channels include:

• BBC HD

• Discovery HD

• National Geographic Channel HD

• FOX SPORTS HD

• ESPN HD

HD Blog Post

Given they said that HD will be shown in its original format, and Fox in the US is 720p and Fox Sports HD here is 1080i, by foxtel's own rules it can only be on ESPN HD which is 720p.

And by their own rules they won't be able to show NASCAR on Fox Sports HD either

Doubt they will be following those rules. What foxtel really means is that they will display the HD channels in the format the channel provider intends. Fox Sports is a channel provider, not foxtel - and it is fox sports that will convert 720p to 1080i, not foxtel.

no.. Discovery and Nat Geo Hd will be sharing a channel. same as nick / nick @ nite or Fox Kids and Fox Classics Used to

Ummm look five posts above yours. Or go to the Foxtel HD blog where Patrick said:

"The HD trial has also shown we have better than expected performance of our compression technology, which means we will now be able to offer five dedicated HD channels when we launch, in addition to the FOXTEL Box Office HD movies On Demand service. Discovery HD and National Geographic Channel HD will be available as two, separate 24x7 channels."

So now there will be The five FOXTEL HD+ channels:

• BBC HD

• Discovery HD

• National Geographic Channel HD

• FOX SPORTS HD

• ESPN HD

Plus HD on demand push channel

Guest tanktrax
"The HD trial has also shown we have better than expected performance of our compression technology...

Which is Foxtel speak for "We have compressed the crap out of the image, so it will be a pixelated mess - but it will be a HD pixelated mess." :unsure:

Edited by tanktrax

erased cos i am an idiot

Not according to the updated blog in post by Hosko above. It states 5 dedicated HD channels!

edit - whoops, I was too slow!

Edited by Trigg

Which is Foxtel speak for "We have compressed the crap out of the image, so it will be a pixelated mess - but it will be a HD pixelated mess." :unsure:

That is the 1st thing I thought to.

Discovery HD is running at 15Mbps.

I wonder now with the 5th channel what this now drops to :(

Edited by Spero D.