Mystar - Issues And Comments

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can you do when your Austar or Mystar box doesn't work and got to wait over week to have it fixed. forgot how bad the free toair networks are. Well my mystar box isn't getting any signal all i get is a searching for channel screen and nothing moving and an L054 on the mystar front pannel screen.. Living in a unit complex was told by Austar don't count on having it fixed in one day all depending whats wrong with the service. Has anyone had the same issue. All i wan is it fixed......

I do belive to Austar tec on phone didn't have a glue what went wrong.

Help me

my mystar box isn't getting any signal all i get is a searching for channel screen and nothing moving and an L054 on the mystar front pannel screen.. Living in a unit complex was told by Austar don't count on having it fixed in one day all depending whats wrong with the service. Has anyone had the same issue. All i wan is it fixed......

I do belive to Austar tec on phone didn't have a glue what went wrong.

Help me

I suspect someone has swiped something, probably the multiswitch

I read somewhere about a bloke who lost his signal and when he went to investigate he found his cable to his dish lying on the roof disconnected, another person had disconnected his cable and plugged in his own cable to the owners dish lol It didnt take sherlock holmes to find the culprit, all he had to do was follow the new cable

Anyone else receive a nice xmas present from Austar and discover all their MyStar recordings are gone?????

I just had a look today and 8 months of recordings have vanished.....

I wonder if Austar will want their unit back after I've attacked it with an axe?

I really miss having my own equipment to record the mpeg-2 video direct to my own hard drives - at least then Austar can't delete them at will.

If anyone from Austar reads this, go do me a favour and drop dead.

Uh-oh! Another issue with Mystar, not for the first time this. Yesterday arvo we had a severe thunderstorm while recording a paytv 30 min program. One hour later I notice the red recording light was still glowing so I check the status in the planner and see the 30 min recording is still apparently recording. I hit the stop button, there's a flash on mystars fascia but recording continues. I decide to look at the recording and the box freezes on me, I manage to exit the planner, at this time a second pre-programmed recording starts up, I'm stuffed now, because the tuner is on a third channel. So I go to the channel of my first recording and of course its now not even on the next program but the one following that. I go back to the planner and try to delete the original recording because the shows repeated later, but still the mystars not responding.

I decide on the power off and on re-boot, remember that I'm still recording a program, live football and I'm now going to lose 10+ minutes of it.

After re-booting I'm able delete the first recording, but I notice the planner is now showing the hard drive is 76% full whereas it had only been 30% prior to the re-boot. I also see the footballs still being recorded despite the re-boot, but when I try to view it, it only has recorded data since the re-boot. The Mystar is now working in slow motion to all my comands whether it be the program guide, the planner, or changing channel. I cancel the football and re-boot a second time, now nothing should be recording, by which time the football is 15 mins old and one side has scored, and we all know how little scoring you often get with with soccer.

A bit long-winded, but for all those Austar Mystar apologists we get on here from time to time. This doesn't happen in the company's adverts for the product, this remains a flawed product even 14 months after I got the thing.

Edited by ozbrit

A bit long-winded, but for all those Austar Mystar apologists we get on here from time to time. This doesn't happen in the company's adverts for the product, this remains a flawed product even 14 months after I got the thing.

The final straw for me was losing 8 months of recordings. I'm now arranging for an extra outlet Foxtel STB to be relocated to my place after which Austar can go and collect their CrapStar product and I never have to deal with that awful company ever again.

Anyone else receive a nice xmas present from Austar and discover all their MyStar recordings are gone?????

I just had a look today and 8 months of recordings have vanished.....

I wonder if Austar will want their unit back after I've attacked it with an axe?

I really miss having my own equipment to record the mpeg-2 video direct to my own hard drives - at least then Austar can't delete them at will.

If anyone from Austar reads this, go do me a favour and drop dead.

Even after a reboot they were still gone?

Even after a reboot they were still gone?

Yes, everything possible done over the phone and all they could say was "Sorry about that, but you shouldn't have any more problems...."

Yeah right, until the next time they disappear.

That was the final straw and I'm now getting Foxtel installed at another location so I can relocate the IQ2 here after which Austar can take back their crappy hardware and their crappy service. I refuse to give them any more money when they insist on making us use their crap hardware.

New topic Please. Mystar/Austar Fault Log (minus cause and discussion posts)

I've joined this forum specifically because of the numerous and on going problems I have experienced with MYSTAR.

I have tried to start a new topic but obviously because I'm a new member this function has been disabled.

As any reader of this forum will know there are a whole host of technical and service issues that Austar and Mystar need to fix, and fix quickly.

I have spent quite literally hours on the phone talking to the 'help line' initially trying to fix faults to lengthly telephone conversations with senior executives at both Austar and Mystar.

The head of customer service actually had the nerve to send me an email basically washing his hands of me and indicating that he no longer wanted to talk about my problems.

Well I'm not going away.

I get the same line from everyone I have spoken to at the company: basically thousands of people have mystar and they are happy with it.

I need proof that other people are facing the very same faults and service issues that I have. I know that examples of these faults are scattered through out this forum under numerous topics.

What I need in order to get Austar management to take ownership of these major problems is to compile our own concise log of the major faults and the frequency users are experiencing - without all the additional technical explanations and discussion.

This could perhaps lead to an Austar/Mystar users group to demand action to fix our concerns or even going further to lobby externally for legislative change/regulation.

Ultimately if all else fails I'm fired up enough to buy shares and raise complete hell at the annual general meeting.

But to do any of this I need proof. And that is where the fault log becomes important. So if you are pissed off with Austar/Mystar I need your help.

Additionally if you are getting numerious failed recordings and error message please take the time to take a digital picture of the planner or fault screen, because if you ever have to do a master reset or get a box swapped over all this proof disappears.

I have dozens of photos already.

Thanks,

But to do any of this I need proof. And that is where the fault log becomes important. So if you are pissed off with Austar/Mystar I need your help.

You're wasting your time. As you've already discovered - they just DON'T CARE!

As long as you keep paying them they won't do anything to fix any problems.

You're wasting your time. As you've already discovered - they just DON'T CARE!

As long as you keep paying them they won't do anything to fix any problems.

I don't think your wasting your time, the reason that they don't care is because no one has stood up to them....one person wont work ...it takes a group of people to stir up the media and get Austar to take notice, let's start this new topic and give this guy the help he needs, by helping him fight Austar your all better off.

I'd be sending all this info to the media, Foxtel, FTA Networks, Currant Affair, Today tonight, 60 Minutes, the PM plus anyone else that has the power to fix this sham called Austar.

New topic Please. Mystar/Austar Fault Log (minus cause and discussion posts)

I've joined this forum specifically because of the numerous and on going problems I have experienced with MYSTAR.

I have tried to start a new topic but obviously because I'm a new member this function has been disabled.

As any reader of this forum will know there are a whole host of technical and service issues that Austar and Mystar need to fix, and fix quickly.

I have spent quite literally hours on the phone talking to the 'help line' initially trying to fix faults to lengthly telephone conversations with senior executives at both Austar and Mystar.

The head of customer service actually had the nerve to send me an email basically washing his hands of me and indicating that he no longer wanted to talk about my problems.

Well I'm not going away.

I get the same line from everyone I have spoken to at the company: basically thousands of people have mystar and they are happy with it.

I need proof that other people are facing the very same faults and service issues that I have. I know that examples of these faults are scattered through out this forum under numerous topics.

What I need in order to get Austar management to take ownership of these major problems is to compile our own concise log of the major faults and the frequency users are experiencing - without all the additional technical explanations and discussion.

This could perhaps lead to an Austar/Mystar users group to demand action to fix our concerns or even going further to lobby externally for legislative change/regulation.

Ultimately if all else fails I'm fired up enough to buy shares and raise complete hell at the annual general meeting.

Additionally if you are getting numerious failed recordings and error message please take the time to take a digital picture of the planner or fault screen, because if you ever have to do a master reset or get a box swapped over all this proof disappears.

I have dozens of photos already.

Thanks,

One post and no mention of what in particular ails your MyStar? Can you be a little more informative please?

I am new to this forum, though have had a Mystar since last July. I consider myself fortunate in that my unit has been working reasonably well, though of course there is certainly room for improvement. The main problem I have is a common one, I cannot put it on standby and expect it to record anything, so I leave it on at all times.

Looking through old postings here, I notice some people saying their units do not have a fan in them. Mine does. Looking at the front of the unit, its located underneath the unit towards the front on the right side. You may want to power down the unit to see the fan blades through the perforated bottom panel. My unit is a Thomson T500, which I believe is the same as all Mystar boxes.

It would be interesting to see if there are other units out there are with or without fans. Especially for those people who have really unreliable units. I have seen some postings where people have commented on how warm their unit gets. Mine is only slightly warmer than room temperature.

Finally I think I have found a new problem that has not been mentioned before. There is a slight delay between the colour and luminance portions of the picture. This happens on both component and s-video (I have not checked composite). Also on both live and recorded pictures. This shows as a slight shift to the right of the colour compared to the luminance. Its visible only on the program material itself (program promos on the Discovery Science Channel show it the best with their orange lettering on grey background) The onscreen menus generated within the unit do not have the delay, nor does any other signal source. Has any one else noticed this?

Edited by A4000Bear

I am new to this forum, though have had a Mystar since last July. I consider myself fortunate in that my unit has been working reasonably well, though of course there is certainly room for improvement. The main problem I have is a common one, I cannot put it on standby and expect it to record anything, so I leave it on at all times.

Looking through old postings here, I notice some people saying their units do not have a fan in them. Mine does. Looking at the front of the unit, its located underneath the unit towards the front on the right side. You may want to power down the unit to see the fan blades through the perforated bottom panel. My unit is a Thomson T500, which I believe is the same as all Mystar boxes.

It would be interesting to see if there are other units out there are with or without fans. Especially for those people who have really unreliable units. I have seen some postings where people have commented on how warm their unit gets. Mine is only slightly warmer than room temperature.

Finally I think I have found a new problem that has not been mentioned before. There is a slight delay between the colour and luminance portions of the picture. This happens on both component and s-video (I have not checked composite). Also on both live and recorded pictures. This shows as a slight shift to the right of the colour compared to the luminance. Its visible only on the program material itself (program promos on the Discovery Science Channel show it the best with their orange lettering on grey background) The onscreen menus generated within the unit do not have the delay, nor does any other signal source. Has any one else noticed this?

I've not noticed this, but there again I haven't been looking for it. I have noticed how often speech and lip movements are way out of sync, which annoys the crap particularly out of Mrs Ozbrit. I don't suppose its a specific problem to Mystar though.

Mine has been locking up lately, by that I mean the picture freezes and the unit does not respond to anything, the remote or the front panel buttons. Even the reset is ignored when it does this. Only fix is to pull the power plug. Im sure its temperature related as the unit is stinking hot, maybe the fan has failed

I have noticed it's a couple of weeks since I've had to reset my mystar box. I never switch it to stanby and I don't like the noise of the thing running all the time but it is running better than it used to. It's taken 15 months since I got it to get to the point where it is almost operating as it should have when it was released.