Owners Thread - Pioneer Pdp 428xda/508xda 768p

What do you guys think of the image quality while watching the Olympics?

Had friends over for the Opening Ceremony and they were blown away at the picture quality. I have been in awe since

Wasn't the opening ceremony simply magnificent?! PQ was fab! Hi to all btw, been reading up lots on the pages, and after having my 508xda installed 4 weeks ago, finally decided to post.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding satz' question, does anyone have an answer? might think of doing that before buying a surround system

hi kermuffle

I did connect a subwoofer directly to the Subwoofer coax output on the Pioneer 508xda. It worked! But there does not seem to be a volume/level adjuster for the subwoofer so it ends up being a little too loud (for my taste!)

but it does work!

Satz

hi kermuffle

I did connect a subwoofer directly to the Subwoofer coax output on the Pioneer 508xda. It worked! But there does not seem to be a volume/level adjuster for the subwoofer so it ends up being a little too loud (for my taste!)

but it does work!

Satz

my Sub has a volume control on itself i can normally adjust it with that.

What do you guys think of the image quality while watching the Olympics?

Had friends over for the Opening Ceremony and they were blown away at the picture quality. I have been in awe since

The PQ on the Kuro is simply stunning. Someone much earlier on in this thread said that the colour RED did not show up well on the Kuro screen ?! The Beijing Olympics has a lot of red and the screen looks superb, in fact whenever I watch the swimming, I keep thinking the water from the pool is about to spill over onto the floor :), seriously !

The PQ on the Kuro is simply stunning. Someone much earlier on in this thread said that the colour RED did not show up well on the Kuro screen ?! The Beijing Olympics has a lot of red and the screen looks superb, in fact whenever I watch the swimming, I keep thinking the water from the pool is about to spill over onto the floor :), seriously !

I get more impressed with it each day !! Whoever said it had a colour problem needs their eyes checked.

Best picture i have seen on any Flat Panel

I get more impressed with it each day !! Whoever said it had a colour problem needs their eyes checked.

Best picture i have seen on any Flat Panel

I believe one can get crushed reds, as well as whites and blacks.

But a calibration will fix it.

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with red lines all through my picture when I've just connected the official Microsoft HDMI cable to my 508 xda. I followed the instructions in the pioneer manual that says to go into the menu and enable input 3 etc. The picture is also distorted when I'm at the 360 dashboard no matter which resolution I choose. Should I be using either input number 4 or 5 which are also HDMI inputs? I'll try those when my partner has finished watching tv. I have no other cables to try at the moment either. If necessary, I'll go purchase one to test against the microsoft one.

Has anyone else had problems connecting a 360 to this tv? Am I doing something wrong? By the way, I did make sure all the components were turned off prior to connecting the HDMI cable.

Any help would really be appreciated guys!

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with red lines all through my picture when I've just connected the official Microsoft HDMI cable to my 508 xda. I followed the instructions in the pioneer manual that says to go into the menu and enable input 3 etc. The picture is also distorted when I'm at the 360 dashboard no matter which resolution I choose. Should I be using either input number 4 or 5 which are also HDMI inputs? I'll try those when my partner has finished watching tv. I have no other cables to try at the moment either. If necessary, I'll go purchase one to test against the microsoft one.

Has anyone else had problems connecting a 360 to this tv? Am I doing something wrong? By the way, I did make sure all the components were turned off prior to connecting the HDMI cable.

Any help would really be appreciated guys!

Hi Hogie

I have tried the xbox and i think i used INPUT 4 from memory. Only have the Wii and that is by component. make sure you choose the right settings and also what the XBOX manual advises you to use as far as resolution is concerned

If you dont get any answers here try the gaming console section of the forum.

Edited by spalmills

Thanks Spalmills. I've posted this in the 360 thread as well. Hopefully it'll work on one of the other inputs, but then if it does I guess number 3 is buggered.

Thanks Spalmills. I've posted this in the 360 thread as well. Hopefully it'll work on one of the other inputs, but then if it does I guess number 3 is buggered.

As a precaution, do what Pioneer recommends, and unplug the TV from the wall socket when connecting external equipment.

While HDMI is supposed to be ‘hot pluggable’, there are still certain circumstances that can occur which can cause damage when plugging items in while the equipment is still connected to the wall socket.

If you would like a technical explanation why this can happen, let me know, and I can reply later…

Meanwhile I hope you input 3 is still ok!

Cheers

As a precaution, do what Pioneer recommends, and unplug the TV from the wall socket when connecting external equipment.

While HDMI is supposed to be ‘hot pluggable’, there are still certain circumstances that can occur which can cause damage when plugging items in while the equipment is still connected to the wall socket.

If you would like a technical explanation why this can happen, let me know, and I can reply later…

Meanwhile I hope you input 3 is still ok!

Cheers

Good point !!

If you do a bit of reading in here you will see HDMI is NOT 'hot pluggable' DO NOT DO IT you can fry your HDMI sockets. They are not USB

Even the the sellers of HDMI cables to members here advise switch off everything first. Plug for Foxy.

Too many horror stories of expensive gear stopping working to be taking the risk.

If you do a bit of reading in here you will see HDMI is NOT 'hot pluggable' DO NOT DO IT you can fry your HDMI sockets. They are not USB

Even the the sellers of HDMI cables to members here advise switch off everything first. Plug for Foxy.

Too many horror stories of expensive gear stopping working to be taking the risk.

HDMI IS hot pluggable. If your product advises to unplug all equiptment at the wall prior to installing the cables then that is what you should do.

"There is no electrical reason why this can not be done. Some devices do not do a great job with recovering (re-initializing the HDMI link and HDCP) when the cable is physically hot plugged. The most consistent way to force the devices to initialize the HDMI link is to turn power cycle them, but quite a few devices do handle a hot plug elegantly with the picture & sound coming right back up." From HDMI ORG

There was nothing in any of my Pioneer Manuals regarding to HDMI connection that stated that equiptment must be turned off at the wall.

Not going to get into any battles here but a search will help with the answers and some nasty results of doing so. ( Pity the search function is not very good at the moment ).

Try the Home Theatre Section.

Other people's experiences would point to it is definately not advisable to 'hot plug' HDMI regardless of specs . Unless you are brave. :PNetwork Systems Design

I will continue to err on the side of caution don't fancy a useless screen or AVR <_<

It has also been documented that hot plugging USB cables on some Topfield PVRs has fried the USB Ports/boards. So you can presume Consumer Equipment on the whole is not very well protected.

Edited by mwd

Not going to get into any battles here but a search will help with the answers and some nasty results of doing so. ( Pity the search function is not very good at the moment ).

Try the Home Theatre Section.

Other people's experiences would point to it is definately not advisable to 'hot plug' HDMI regardless of specs . Unless you are brave. :PNetwork Systems Design

I will continue to err on the side of caution don't fancy a useless screen or AVR <_<

I personally wouldnt change cables whilst equiptment is on either but have seen it done plenty of times without issues.

I was simply advising you that HDMI are stated to be hot pluggable as advised by a technican from an authorised HDMI manufacturer.

Plugged 360 into HDMI inout number 4 on the TV and it works absolutely fine. I didn't do anything different. Hell, I didn't even go into the menu and enable input 4 like I did on number 3. For the record, everything was unplugged at the wall both times. No idea why input 3 appears to not work properly. I'll buy another cable soon and retry, but the microsoft one just won't work on that particular input. Hope somethings not wrong with the TV itself. To be honest though, I'm not really sure that I can really see much of an improvement going from Component to HDMI on this TV.

Plugged 360 into HDMI inout number 4 on the TV and it works absolutely fine. I didn't do anything different. Hell, I didn't even go into the menu and enable input 4 like I did on number 3. For the record, everything was unplugged at the wall both times. No idea why input 3 appears to not work properly. I'll buy another cable soon and retry, but the microsoft one just won't work on that particular input. Hope somethings not wrong with the TV itself. To be honest though, I'm not really sure that I can really see much of an improvement going from Component to HDMI on this TV.

Hi Hogie,

Glad to hear that you sorted outthe issue. Maybe there was a fault with the INPUT 3 in the first place. Have you tried that Input with any other component?

If not try connecting something to it and see if it works, if not see if Pioneer will come out and check it.

Maybe try changing the setting back on Input 3 to its original setting seeing that you didnt need to do anything on Input 4.

There is an argument over picture quality for Component vs HDMI. There is no guarantee that you will see too much of a difference. Obviously the HDMI will carry both sound and Video making it an easier connection type but the picture quality will come down to the source and the display qualities. You might find that your DVD looks better with a HDMI but another device looks better with component.

I might just stand back and wait for the repsonses to those comments.

I sell HDMI so i should be saying they are the best for all situations but as i said, it depends.

Edited by spalmills

There is an argument over picture quality for Component vs HDMI. There is no guarantee that you will see too much of a difference. Obviously the HDMI will carry both sound and Video making it an easier connection type but the picture quality will come down to the source and the display qualities. You might find that your DVD looks better with a HDMI but another device looks better with component.

I might just stand back and wait for the repsonses to those comments.

I sell HDMI so i should be saying they are the best for all situations but as i said, it depends.

In support of your comments on this - an odd situation I know, but for various reasons I am currently running a Topfield 7000 mainly at 576i to a pana 42px80A - using the HDMI input at this resolution is appalling (blurry pictures) with s-video and component line ball to each other and both very good. If I go to 720p, again, the component shades the HDMI but the HDMI is watchable (and s-video doesn't work of course), and at 1080i both HDMI and component give a very very good picture - hard to really tell the difference, but I think the HDMI is marginally cleaner. So horses for courses and a lot will depend on the processing of the equipment at either end.