Should I Buy A Ps3 From Hong Kong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey funky_chili, we should meet up in HK, I'll be there for a few days after wrapping up a job in shanghai :)

I'm thinking of a PS3 as well from HK too if the price is right :)

not 100% sure when i'll be there yet

but am looking at being in hk/thailand/japan mid jan-ish to early feb

prices should be settled by then as it'll be after the christmas rush and ppl will be saving money for chinese new year :) will see what happens :)

Edited by funky_chilli

Where from and how much shipped?

Thanks mate.

from ebay ><"

around $720 shipped + $50 for an extra game.

But i just knew that ppl should buy the 60GB version, and put in a 120GB hardisk, rather than spending more money on 80GB version.

The item are in posting now...

from ebay ><"

around $720 shipped + $50 for an extra game.

But i just knew that ppl should buy the 60GB version, and put in a 120GB hardisk, rather than spending more money on 80GB version.

The item are in posting now...

sweet as mate.. think im gonna hang out for the white 40gb version from japan..(Because it will match the 360 :wub: )

PlayAsia is sold out already though :wacko:

Sorry to post here but I can't start a new thread.....I just got a PS3 tonight and was wondering if it was supposed to come with a demo disk at all?......wanna see what this baby can do on my new 52in Bravia X series.

• Volunteer
Sorry to post here but I can't start a new thread.....I just got a PS3 tonight and was wondering if it was supposed to come with a demo disk at all?......wanna see what this baby can do on my new 52in Bravia X series.

Mine didn't.

Cheers,

Karen

This thread is great timing for me - I am off to Hong Kong at the end of the month and son here is desperate for a PS3.

So, it seems from this thread as though I can get an 80gig PS3, with two controllers for around $500 Aus.

How much are they in Australia? It is really worth it?

It will still connect to the internet ok? (we have wireless at home)

And it will play all the games, but might not play Blu Ray Dvd's from Aus, but will play DVD's from the US?

And how big are they, if I take it out of the box will it fit into carry on?

Lastly, any recommendations about the best (ie reliable) shop in HK to buy them.

Thankyou all!

This thread is great timing for me - I am off to Hong Kong at the end of the month and son here is desperate for a PS3.

So, it seems from this thread as though I can get an 80gig PS3, with two controllers for around $500 Aus.

How much are they in Australia? It is really worth it?

It will still connect to the internet ok? (we have wireless at home)

And it will play all the games, but might not play Blu Ray Dvd's from Aus, but will play DVD's from the US?

And how big are they, if I take it out of the box will it fit into carry on?

Lastly, any recommendations about the best (ie reliable) shop in HK to buy them.

Thankyou all!

I don't own a PS3 myself, but I've been thinking about this as I will be overseas too.

The 80GB version has the backwards compatibility (plus extra USB and card reader which is much of a muchness). But it is this backwards compatibility that would make you buy it over a 40GB version. However, since it is an Asian version, it would only be compatible with Asian PS2 titles. The Blu-Ray will be the same and so will the PS3 games.

So my thought is that if you're going to buy overseas you might as well just get the 40GB version.

I don't own a PS3 myself, but I've been thinking about this as I will be overseas too.

The 80GB version has the backwards compatibility (plus extra USB and card reader which is much of a muchness). But it is this backwards compatibility that would make you buy it over a 40GB version. However, since it is an Asian version, it would only be compatible with Asian PS2 titles. The Blu-Ray will be the same and so will the PS3 games.

So my thought is that if you're going to buy overseas you might as well just get the 40GB version.

A jap PS3 is region A (blu ray titles from US and Jap only) but this is a good thing as movies come here (Australia) alot later with limited features. games are region free. Blu Ray titles are easily picked up online just make sure they are region A or region free and youll be laughing with a PS3 from Hong Kong- Ive got one myself and my mates spew when i get games and blu ray titles months/weeks in advance.

But the games aren't region locked - so if the 80gb is backwards compatible, then it will do this for all games regardless of country of origin

How much are the games in HK, and what is available?

Edited by Clueless2

• Volunteer
But the games aren't region locked - so if the 80gb is backwards compatible, then it will do this for all games regardless of country of origin

How much are the games in HK, and what is available?

PS2 games are apparently not region free as I have a Japanese PS3 and it will not play Aus PS2 games.

Cheers,

Karen

ps3 games are region free....so they'll work on any ps3

ps2 games are region LOCKED.....so they'll only work on that country's/region's ps2/3

that's why if u have a lot of aussie ps2 games, dun get one from hk/jap

if ur only gonna play ps3 games and american/region free blurays then u can get one from asia.

but then it won't play aussie blurays or dvds coz they're region locked too.

just read in another thread here saying that the new 40gb power supply packs have changed and might not work in oz anymore...i think it's the japanese 40gb ps3 gb thread.

Edited by funky_chilli

ps3 games are region free....so they'll work on any ps3

ps2 games are region LOCKED.....so they'll only work on that country's/region's ps2/3

that's why if u have a lot of aussie ps2 games, dun get one from hk/jap

if ur only gonna play ps3 games and american/region free blurays then u can get one from asia.

but then it won't play aussie blurays or dvds coz they're region locked too.

just read in another thread here saying that the new 40gb power supply packs have changed and might not work in oz anymore...i think it's the japanese 40gb ps3 gb thread.

OK, we will be keeping the PS2 so the locked issue is fine. We have a dvd player, so that base is covered.

I would buy an 80gig one, so the power supply wont be a problem. Australian Blurays - well, havent even seen any so that isnt an issue.

Last question - it will connect to the internet in Aus OK, won't it? A friends 'Australian PS3' has connected to our internet service at home, so the network itself wont be a problem, just the machine

Edited by Clueless2

OK, we will be keeping the PS2 so the locked issue is fine. We have a dvd player, so that base is covered.

I would buy an 80gig one, so the power supply wont be a problem. Australian Blurays - well, havent even seen any so that isnt an issue.

Last question - it will connect to the internet in Aus OK, won't it? A friends 'Australian PS3' has connected to our internet service at home, so the network itself wont be a problem, just the machine

well then it seems ur set to get one! :)

i'm off to hk/jap end of dec so i'll probably be following in ur footsteps...

i know hk quite well, so in regards to ur questions abt which shops are reputable...

all the bigger chains like broadway, fortress etc are just like jb etc here...

u'll find the prices there are cheap but not the cheapest but then they are the most reputable in hk

if u read through the whole thread, there are suggestions to go to computer centres in wanchai and sham shui po.

these are where u'll find the little tiny shops that u can haggle hardest and find the cheapest prices...but then for a first-timer this can be quite daunting as there's not much customer service in places like that...they're more likely look at ur western face (i'm making a massive assumption here) and ignore ur efforts and just give u their normal prices...if u know what i mean

good luck and tell us what u find out over there! :)

Thanks Guys! This will be my second trip to Hong Kong and I lurrrve to bargain! Have followed many a store person up those flights of stairs 'behind the shopfronts' in Ladies market to get the A grade stuff. Have been to Bali maybe 8 times also; the Chinese are polite compared with the hawkers of Indonesia! So I will check out some of the smaller stores first, and as long as the shop is an authorised dealer I am happy to haggle.

Can anyone confirm the power supply issue? My mate is in Hong Kong at the moment and I've told him to grab a 40gig one on his way back. Just want to make sure that the only thing that wont work is local blu ray movies?

that's not an issue, Hong Kong use 220V-240V same as UK.

Can anyone confirm the power supply issue? My mate is in Hong Kong at the moment and I've told him to grab a 40gig one on his way back. Just want to make sure that the only thing that wont work is local blu ray movies?

I have a 60GB HK PS3, and it works straight out of the box - I did however change the power cord to an aussie cord. As for Blu Ray - some local releases are All Region or Region Free, so they will work on the HK PS3. Eg local release of 300 works fine. Also you will find the HK PS3 (with firmware 1.6 and above) will play Region Free NTSC and PAL DVD's.