New Onkyo Tx-sr875 On The Fritz

I have a near new tx-sr875 in my cabinet which has today started to display an interesting performance detail.

When I hit the mute on my remote, I can see the Mute red indicator come on the receiver, however the receiver goes into full volume out of my speakers and just about deafens me.

I have checked this on many inputs (eg DVD, CD, PVR) and all have the same result.

The volume indicator on the receiver is set to -infinity and enabling the mute just about puts me through the back wall.

While I like the fact that I now know how loud my receiver can go, hitting mute should not give me this effect. I have a standard Onkyo remote and a Harmony remote and hitting mute on either yields similar results.

I know my wife has been struggling with the new Harmony 1000i remote but I can't see how she could have done this to the receiver.

I have done the usual troubleshooting things, like pulling power, letting it cool off etc, but no dice.

Any ideas on how to fix this or should I admit defeat and take it back to the shop? Ambertech are closed until the morning so any tips / advice for things I can try between now and then would be great.

setting it to infinity will do whats its doing.

If its on low volume then when hitting thr mute button goes to infinity, Id be taking it back asap incase it blows ur speakers. Onkyo wont cover that.

None of those things guys.

It has been working fine for the past few weeks, just gone haywire today.

I can have the volume dialled all the way down to nothing, then enabling mute sends the output to full volume but the volume display is still showing -82 and I'm getting deafened.

Hi recur; dont know about your 875 but it is possible to do a factory reset by pressing certain buttons [video 1 is one I think] on integra models. Egcarter [onkyo dealer avs forums ] described it at one time;so NOTL ;)

Another long shot [if the 875 can do this] would be to switch the OSD to decibel volume readout rather than 0- ~ . Shouldnt have an effect in any case :huh:

Hi recur; dont know about your 875 but it is possible to do a factory reset by pressing certain buttons [video 1 is one I think] on integra models. Egcarter [onkyo dealer avs forums ] described it at one time;so NOTL ;)

Another long shot [if the 875 can do this] would be to switch the OSD to decibel volume readout rather than 0- ~ . Shouldnt have an effect in any case :huh:

hmm factory reset would be nice but can't find anything on this online.

I have the volume OSD set to relative, so -infinity up to about + 20 dB. Even with the output set on the unit to -80 odd, hitting mute makes it damn loud.

One thing I have noticed now is that the front volume knob seems to be packing it in. ie if I turn it up, the volume on the OSD goes up, then down then up wile only turning the knob in one direction, sort of two steps forwards, one step backwards.

Here's hoping this isn't the start of a long wait for repair or a series of trips back and forwards to suppliers every time it breathes. :(

hmm factory reset would be nice but can't find anything on this online.

I have the volume OSD set to relative, so -infinity up to about + 20 dB. Even with the output set on the unit to -80 odd, hitting mute makes it damn loud.

One thing I have noticed now is that the front volume knob seems to be packing it in. ie if I turn it up, the volume on the OSD goes up, then down then up wile only turning the knob in one direction, sort of two steps forwards, one step backwards.

Here's hoping this isn't the start of a long wait for repair or a series of trips back and forwards to suppliers every time it breathes. :(

It almost sounds like some kind of automatic gain control function has been selected. I don't know if there is such a thing on the 875.

Just got a call from Amber Technology.

They have suggested a software reboot on the unit, holding down VCR/DVR and Standby while the unit is powered on. It will ask for you to clear your settings on the front panel, which you ok and then it flushes the DSPs and the system settings.

Will try and see if I have success later on today.

Possibly the muting level has been changed accidentally, definately worth a try anyway.

On page 96 of the manual it tells you how to set up the muting level.

The steps quickly are - Setup menu, 6.Miscellaneous, 1. Volume setup,

Once in the set up you can choose from relative, or absolute display, mute level, and max volume level.

Result!

I have run the software reboot and while it cleared every setting, the annoying mute spazz out has now gone away.

Now back to tuning my speakers... I think I might write down the settings for future reference this time.

Any idea on how to dump out the present settings on one of these units via say the serial interface?

• 2 weeks later...
Result!

I have run the software reboot and while it cleared every setting, the annoying mute spazz out has now gone away.

Now back to tuning my speakers... I think I might write down the settings for future reference this time.

Any idea on how to dump out the present settings on one of these units via say the serial interface?

After a bit over a week of happy operation it did the same thing again last night.

Awesome.

After a bit over a week of happy operation it did the same thing again last night.

Have you only been using the Onkyo remote or have you been using the Harmony one as well? Perhaps the Harmony remote is sending something incorrectly that the AVR decodes as "go into auto-gain mode". Maybe try software reset again but then only use the Onkyo remote?