Samsung Bd-up5000

Kamma, I'm in the dark over this one in regards to Big Blue and his organizing Group Buys.

I got my XE1 through a Big Blue's group buy and I had no complaints with him organizing it. It went as smooth as any I have been in.

Could you or someone else summarize what happened.....????

C.M

Its a long story...

In short, the members of the GB ended up paying considerably more for their units than the street price. All this and some have yet to even receive units....

Moral of the story is that its best not to negotiate prices until the product is released.

Edited by Chesty

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a long story...

In short, the members of the GB ended up paying considerably more for their units than the street price. All this and some have yet to even receive units....

Moral of the story is that its best not to negotiate prices until the product is released.

Thanks Chesty, I now can understand people's disappointment.

Many thanks , C.M

Even if Region free, it probably won't play PAL discs, as none of the current HD DVD or Blu-Ray players coming out of the US are capable of this.

none ? you sure ? people importing the tosh XA2 HD-DVD cant play pal ?

Kamma, I'm in the dark over this one in regards to Big Blue and his organizing Group Buys.

I got my XE1 through a Big Blue's group buy and I had no complaints with him organizing it. It went as smooth as any I have been in.

Could you or someone else summarize what happened.....????

C.M

i will just elaborate on what chesty said and tell you that guys who committed to the onkyo 805 are paying $300 - 400 more than the street price and still haven't got their AVR yet.

none ? you sure ? people importing the tosh XA2 HD-DVD cant play pal ?

I was also under the impression that no U.S. players can play PAL either. Doesn't bother me either way, but might be a concern for people running out of room.

I'm interested in a group buy, but would like to know a ball park figure on how much it would cost landed.

Adam.

Let me qualify the potential group buy as an import GB of the Region A model which would be unlikely to play PAL R4 discs and definately not play Region B locked BD titles. On the basis of this could I get pm's of interest so I can get some approx numbers, make some enquiries and then see what we can do. I can't promise better prices than anyone else, and given we are looking to import many seller would probably be hesitant, so the best me might do is the equivalent of free postage (if that). But unless we try we don't know. Expressions of interest will not be taken as a commitment to buy.

i will just elaborate on what chesty said and tell you that guys who committed to the onkyo 805 are paying $300 - 400 more than the street price and still haven't got their AVR yet.

Well, that is a bit rude.

I'm sure BB is feeling a bit dejected with the outcome of it all himself.

Edit : With regards to being in another group buy I might wait for some other manufacturer other than Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG to bring out a universal player before committing.

Denon would be nice.

C.M

Well, that is a bit rude.

I'm sure BB is feeling a bit dejected with the outcome of it all himself.

Edit : With regards to being in another group buy I might wait for some other manufacturer other than Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG bring out a universal player before committing.

Denon would be nice.

C.M

unless of course he stood to profit from it which is probably unlikely but possible ;)

that would mean it would have to comply with BDJ 1.1 surely.

I dont' believe it does, though I hope that is the case-

The new specification and requirements will ensure that all Blu-ray players manufactured past October will be able to support the full range of BD-Java capabilities, including picture in picture and more.â€

If the player is already made but released after October then it can still be non 1.1 compliant?

Edited by Spero D.

Even if Region free, it probably won't play PAL discs, as none of the current HD DVD or Blu-Ray players coming out of the US are capable of this.

Well if thats the case Im not interested - for me it must be able to play all region PAL/NTSC DVD's & HD-DVD & Region A BluRay Movies.

I think I'll just buy an Aussie HD-EP10 so I can use it for R4 DVD's + HD-DVD's and my S300 can play R1 DVD's + Region A BluRay Movies.

Well if thats the case Im not interested - for me it must be able to play all region PAL/NTSC DVD's & HD-DVD & Region A BluRay Movies.

I think I'll just buy an Aussie HD-EP10 so I can use it for R4 DVD's + HD-DVD's and my S300 can play R1 DVD's + Region A BluRay Movies.

Me too.

As I want a good upscaler fro my SD DVD and a HD DVD player then might as well kill too birds and go local.

Sorry about the bird killing C.M... :blush:

Konka, Soniq, Telefunken....... :P

Oops forgot Tevion, sorry to all our Aldi fans :rolleyes:

I would normally not go near Samsung AV gear, but you have to give them credit for moving upmarket by using quality HQV Reon Video Processing and making what could be a very good Combo Player. B)

I'm sure this unit is going to be sold in Europe late 2007 or 2008.

That would make it PAL and BR Java 1.1 friendly?? yes/no/maybe? :blink:

Plus region coded B, I would guess (for BR).

I would be interested in a group buy to replace my HD-A1, (and my Oppo if it played everything).. :lol:

Cheers...

None of the Toshiba players accepts PAL DVDs. Nor does the PS3 (from the US) or the Panasonic B players.

thats interesting, the original XA1 I know had no pal capability. but the the local versions XE1 I know can play certainly ntsc. I wonder why on earth did they drop pal capability of the equivalnet XA2 in the US :blink:

It would be nice if Samsung did release this model locally. Then it would be R4 for DVD and Region B for BD meaning your two players had you covered for every situation. :ph34r:

thats interesting, the original XA1 I know had no pal capability. but the the local versions XE1 I know can play certainly ntsc. I wonder why on earth did they drop pal capability of the equivalnet XA2 in the US :blink:

Very few DVD players released in the US have PAL capability. All DVD players released in Europe and Australia have NTSC capability. This is because, until the advent of HDTV's, very few televisions in the US accepted a PAL signal, so the manufacturers saw no point in making them PAL compliant. Although HDTV's can accept a PAL signal, it seems the DVD manufacturers haven't upgraded their DVD specs. The A-1 and A-2 definitely produce error mesages when you insert a PAL disc.