New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

Had a look at a 508 again during lunch today, again I was not impressed with FTA. Not sure what you would call it, but I could see the pixels flashing/shimering. I set it to User and turned of all the noise reduction features. I must be doing something wrong.

My current setup LG DLP rearpro with toppy 5000 is silky smooth and sharp.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pixels flashing/shimering

I saw a 508XD for the first time this morning and noticed flickering in white areas of the picture. My eyes are sensitive to refresh rate flicker and I was really disappointed. Sony 46X Bravia next door had no flicker and less movement judder too. But the blacks were definitely better on the Kuro as many have said.

Got my screen today, had it installed and..... found a dead pixel!! called pioneer and they will replace it when they get new stock in the country.

As far as the picture goes it is very good and i am mainly watching FTA. Of coarse there is some jutter but its hard to say if it is the TV or the source. I think that its going to happen regardless of it being a Plasma or LCD, especially if the source is not recorded very well.

Just before getting the plasma i started looking at my 68cm CRT and noticed jutter that i never noticed before, when you look for it you see it i guess and that must be a source problem.

i will take some photos and post next week.

Got my screen today, had it installed and..... found a dead pixel!! called pioneer and they will replace it when they get new stock in the country.

As far as the picture goes it is very good and i am mainly watching FTA. Of coarse there is some jutter but its hard to say if it is the TV or the source. I think that its going to happen regardless of it being a Plasma or LCD, especially if the source is not recorded very well.

Just before getting the plasma i started looking at my 68cm CRT and noticed jutter that i never noticed before, when you look for it you see it i guess and that must be a source problem.

i will take some photos and post next week.

I was just stating in another thread, there have been no dead pixels on Pioneers - well I stand corrected.

Where\when and how did you find this ?

Since I'm hanging out for a LX model, I hope its not a general occurrence. ;)

Is this sort of response typical for Pioneer? They will replace a screen for a single dead/stuck pixel?

I hope so!! the installer turned it on, tuned trhe channels and i saw it straight away. If you buy a new car and there is a scratch on it you dont drive away with it like that cause its just 1 scratch. This wasn;t even on for 10 minutes.

It is about 4 inches from the left hand side about 1/3 of the way down the screen.

The installer said it has never happened before, but i think i am looking for it so i saw it strainght away. Actually it does stand out quite a bit on a white screen. I don't know if its dead or frozen cause it is red but either way it needs to get fixed.

The installer said it has never happened before, but i think i am looking for it so i saw it strainght away. Actually it does stand out quite a bit on a white screen. I don't know if its dead or frozen cause it is red but either way it needs to get fixed.

They have a dead pixel policy but i think it has to be more than one and affect the tv durring normal tv veiwing..So if you can only see it when you have no piture or a white screen that will be interesting

Keep us all informed :unsure:

They have a dead pixel policy but i think it has to be more than one and affect the tv durring normal tv veiwing..So if you can only see it when you have no piture or a white screen that will be interesting

Keep us all informed :unsure:

If it has a dead pixel then don't sign the paper work if you do that would mean you acccept the TV and the dead pixel could come under the warranty conditions.

I wouldn't sign anything and make them pack it up and take it away.

I realise you have already accepted the TV and signed for it but it sounds like Pioneer are going to look after you so hopefully it's all good in the end.

Has anyone compared the internal tuner with a toppy 7000? Is the toppy better? I wasn't impressed with the internal tuner.

I'm new to all this HD stuff with in-built tuners and external tuners etc.

Do you own a new Pioneer?

I'ld be interested to see what it was about the tuner that didn't impressed you.

What exactly could a better tuner do to the picture?

Could it make the picture sharper, more vibrant or clearer?

My wife and inlaws love the picture of our new Pioneer and always comment that it's got so much detail but even though I love it I still think it isn't as sharp as I hoped and looks just a little soft almost like it is just a touch out of focus.

I was reading somewhere that images could appear slighly out of focus if you have good vision and I have 20/20 in my left eye and better than 20/20 in my right eye.

I'ld love to know what a better tuner could do to the picture quality.

Hi chrissyoscar, do you think it is worth paying the extra $2000 over a Samsung or Panasonic?

What is the quality like with SD DVDs? Are you running through HDMI? Are you Running through a DVD player or Blue Ray/HD player?

I am making up the decision this week whether to pay extra for it or save money for a speakers and HD/Blu Ray disc player.

If there is a big difference in quality I am happy to pay the difference but with my own eyes and limited viewing I have not be able to justify the extra few thousands.

Hi chrissyoscar, do you think it is worth paying the extra $2000 over a Samsung or Panasonic?

It's hard to tell as I have never seen those Plasmas you mentioned setup correctly but I would still pay the extra as the difference isn't $2000.

I would assume street price for the Samsung is about $4300-4500 the Panasonic is about $4100-4200 and the Pioneer is $4500-4700.

When you add 5yr extended warranty the Panasonic and Pioneer are the same price and the Samsung should be there abouts.

If you are talking about the LX model then I haven't seen it but from all reports it's better but not $2500 better than the XDA model.

What is the quality like with SD DVDs? Are you running through HDMI? Are you Running through a DVD player or Blue Ray/HD player?

SD DVD's range from very good to ok. I have watched Fast and the Furious which was very good, Twister was average, Blade 2 very good and 300 which was good to very good, looked a little grainy at times.

I have a standard Panasonic DVD-R and have it sending the DVD signal via HDMI at 480i and letting the TV upscale it.

I am making up the decision this week whether to pay extra for it or save money for a speakers and HD/Blu Ray disc player.

Pay the extra, as I said my family love it and father in law says it kills his Soniq which he only got a month ago and he can see the detail, colors etc are life like.

If there is a big difference in quality I am happy to pay the difference but with my own eyes and limited viewing I have not be able to justify the extra few thousands.

I don't know about a huge difference but I would think there is some difference so for piece of mind go with the Pioneer. You'ld hate to pay similar money for the Panasonic and then be dissapointed. It all comes down to how fussy you are but again the price difference isn't that great and I don't think from a normal viewing distance the HD vs Full HD makes a big difference.

Edited by chrissyoscar

Thanks for your feedback mate. It gives me something to think about.

When I said the extra $2000 I did not have the full HD Samsung or Panasonic in mind but just the 1365 X 768 resoultion sets. One of these I could get for less than $3,000 with 5 years warranty.

Personally I don't like their full HD 1080P range.

Thanks for your feedback mate. It gives me something to think about.

When I said the extra $2000 I did not have the full HD Samsung or Panasonic in mind but just the 1365 X 768 resoultion sets. One of these I could get for less than $3,000 with 5 years warranty.

Personally I don't like their full HD 1080P range.

Sorry about that I assumed you were comparing Full HD models with Pioneer XDA.

I've read -on this forum- lot's of good reports about the Panasonic PX models, some even say they are better than the PZ models.

I'm sure whatever you choose will be fine as I don't see a lot of people complaining about there purchases except for a few who got the new Full HD Hitachi then took them back for refunds.

My wife and inlaws love the picture of our new Pioneer and always comment that it's got so much detail but even though I love it I still think it isn't as sharp as I hoped and looks just a little soft almost like it is just a touch out of focus.

I was reading somewhere that images could appear slighly out of focus if you have good vision and I have 20/20 in my left eye and better than 20/20 in my right eye.

I'ld love to know what a better tuner could do to the picture quality.

The softness you are referring to, is this only with FTA or also with DVD content?

OK, I rang Pioneer and they emailed me the instruction manual and brochure for the LX models. It LOOKS to me like we get more connections than in the UK....

Input 1: Composite, component, S Video

Input 2: Composite, component, S Video

Input 3: Composite, S Video, HDMI

Input 4: HDMI

Input 5: HDMI

Input 6: Composite, S Video (both on the side)

Also USB, PC input, the usual audio ins and outs

The remote has buttons for direct control of inputs 1 to 6 PLUS a button for PC input.

If I'm right I'm very happy - I have heard that otherwise it's about 15 button presses to assign inputs to other types of connection (as in the UK).

OK, I rang Pioneer and they emailed me the instruction manual and brochure for the LX models. It LOOKS to me like we get more connections than in the UK....

Input 1: Composite, component, S Video

Input 2: Composite, component, S Video

Input 3: Composite, S Video, HDMI

Input 4: HDMI

Input 5: HDMI

Input 6: Composite, S Video (both on the side)

Also USB, PC input, the usual audio ins and outs

The remote has buttons for direct control of inputs 1 to 6 PLUS a button for PC input.

If I'm right I'm very happy - I have heard that otherwise it's about 15 button presses to assign inputs to other types of connection (as in the UK).

I reckon you'd be right, because what you have described is the same setup as the XDA (including the direct buttons on the remote), and I can't imagine the LX would have anything less.

I reckon you'd be right, because what you have described is the same setup as the XDA (including the direct buttons on the remote), and I can't imagine the LX would have anything less.

Oh I thought our XDA's only had buttons for 4 inputs? If I'm wrong then ignore my excitement!

If so that's better than the UK, who's situation has been negatively commented on in reviews (not enough directly available inputs)

The softness you are referring to, is this only with FTA or also with DVD content?

DVD is pretty good -when watching a good DVD- but sometimes faces can appear soft and other times they look very sharp so perhaps it comes down to the way it was filmed or the upscaling. I am happy with the DVD quality and can't wait for a BluRay or Hd-DVD player which I'll get next year. I believe a DVD in HD would be absolutely amazing to watch.

HD TV is normally excellent although I'm not very impressed with channel 9HD. I don't find is anywhere near as good as channel 7 and 10HD channels. By that I mean the picture doesn't seem as crisp compared to watching for example House or Idol on Ten and colors are fantastic on 7HD when I watch shows like Dancing with the stars. I watched SWAT on channel 9HD and had to double check it was on HD as it appeared a little grainy and SWAT was a HD movie.

I find some Foxtel channels hard to watch but other's are ok so if you watch Foxtel don't epect miracles form the Pioneer.

I would assume all plasmas struggle to show Foxtel as it's a crap signal.

Get the Pioneer and you can always blame me if you aren't happy.

Another option is ask the store if you can return the TV in 3-5 days if you aren't 100% happy and swap it for another model.

If you haven't haggled the price to death they might do it.

Oh I thought our XDA's only had buttons for 4 inputs? If I'm wrong then ignore my excitement!

If so that's better than the UK, who's situation has been negatively commented on in reviews (not enough directly available inputs)

My remote for the XDA has buttons for all 6 inputs, makes life easy :rolleyes:

DVD is pretty good -when watching a good DVD- but sometimes faces can appear soft and other times they look very sharp so perhaps it comes down to the way it was filmed or the upscaling. I am happy with the DVD quality and can't wait for a BluRay or Hd-DVD player which I'll get next year. I believe a DVD in HD would be absolutely amazing to watch.

HD TV is normally excellent although I'm not very impressed with channel 9HD. I don't find is anywhere near as good as channel 7 and 10HD channels. By that I mean the picture doesn't seem as crisp compared to watching for example House or Idol on Ten and colors are fantastic on 7HD when I watch shows like Dancing with the stars. I watched SWAT on channel 9HD and had to double check it was on HD as it appeared a little grainy and SWAT was a HD movie.

I find some Foxtel channels hard to watch but other's are ok so if you watch Foxtel don't epect miracles form the Pioneer.

I would assume all plasmas struggle to show Foxtel as it's a crap signal.

Get the Pioneer and you can always blame me if you aren't happy.

Another option is ask the store if you can return the TV in 3-5 days if you aren't 100% happy and swap it for another model.

If you haven't haggled the price to death they might do it.

How does Foxtel handle changes in aspect ration (widescreen or non-widescreen)? Does it all appear in a 4:3 (normal) window whether it's widescreen or not?

Any chance of some photos please?!

How does Foxtel handle changes in aspect ration (widescreen or non-widescreen)? Does it all appear in a 4:3 (normal) window whether it's widescreen or not?

Any chance of some photos please?!

Some show's are in 4:3 and others are 14:9 format.

I'll take a few pics and post them up tonight or tomorrow.