New Pioneer 8th Gen Plasmas 508 Etc

768 is not 1080. I'm not fussed how many people insist that there is no difference from X feet. With that same argument you can insist there is no difference between an SD panel and a 768 panel at X feet, yet people are still buying 768 panels. The difference in pixel count between SD and 768 is far less than 768 and 1080 so why are we not arguing for everyone to buy an SD set?

Fact is 1080 is the next generation, with current media specifically formatted to play to a 1080 resolution. Price is the only reason to go backwards in technology.

Have you sat and compared the two side by side. There are other things than resolution.

Once again I make the recommendation that you do so.

Numbers on a page are just that "numbers". Let your eyes and brain make the choice for you.

Bit like brown bag tasting wine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently in London and have seen the new Pioneer 508xd (£2799), the Panasonic 70a (£1399) and the 1080p Panasonic Pz700 (£2999) - all these prices include a 5 year warranty.

All three plasmas were running the same blu-ray demo. While all three displays were good, the Pioneer was the pick. The black level is much darker than the Panasonics. I noticed a bigger difference with black levels than the extra resolution of the PZ700. I was standing about 2-3m from the screens.

It looks like I will be getting the Pioneer when it is released in Australia. My only concern with the Pioneer is the judder when watching sports like AFL, however this is supposed to be fixed in the 508. I would have bought a 507 six months ago if it wasn't for this problem.

Brad

768 is not 1080. I'm not fussed how many people insist that there is no difference from X feet. With that same argument you can insist there is no difference between an SD panel and a 768 panel at X feet, yet people are still buying 768 panels. The difference in pixel count between SD and 768 is far less than 768 and 1080 so why are we not arguing for everyone to buy an SD set?

Fact is 1080 is the next generation, with current media specifically formatted to play to a 1080 resolution. Price is the only reason to go backwards in technology.

I would tend to agree with you however one thing to check is how the 1080 screen handles SD content. That's why I'm waiting for the 8 series screens (both 1080 & 768) to check. I'm less concerned with the distance argument than others although I do agree that it is correct. :rolleyes: However with so little real HD content yet available you have to decide whether the extra money for a 1080 screen is worth it and whether it displays SD content as well as a 768 panel.

I would tend to agree with you however one thing to check is how the 1080 screen handles SD content. That's why I'm waiting for the 8 series screens (both 1080 & 768) to check. I'm less concerned with the distance argument than others although I do agree that it is correct. :rolleyes: However with so little real HD content yet available you have to decide whether the extra money for a 1080 screen is worth it and whether it displays SD content as well as a 768 panel.
In another thread, I think it was pg, it was reckoned that 45% of evening t.v. fare was HD.

In another thread, I think it was pg, it was reckoned that 45% of evening t.v. fare was HD.

A lot less for me in practice because the family starts watching in SD and then doesn't bother to see if it's available in HD & (shock) doesn't even care if it is in HD. Also we have so many SD DVDs that I'd need to be sure they look better or at least no worse in 1080 than 768 before spending big on a 1080 panel.

Rumours say the rrp on the 508 will be approx $5500. Based on this rrp and past experience, what will the street price be at Christmas? $4800?

I have a deposit on a 507 (@ $3800), not sure whether to wait for the 508.

I know it will be a better panel, but will it be that much better. I had a look at the comparisons on the other forum. I believe they both should of been tweaked individually and then compared. Having the same contrast ratios , brighteness etc set on both tvs is wrong. You wouldn't compare a panasonic vs pioneer by having the same settings would you?

Any opinions, advise? Be nice please ;)

I have a deposit on a 507 (@ $3800), not sure whether to wait for the 508.

I know it will be a better panel, but will it be that much better.

Yes its THAT much better. I would wait personally. No one knows what the RRP will be, if it was say $5499, I think you will pick one up around $4500 street price. I think if you get the 507 you may kick yourself later but then again the 507 is a stunning panel too. If you can hold out till October and will pay a bit more you will be very happy.

This isn't a very good argument. If you believe viewing distance guides like this one, on a 50" screen 720p looks better than SD from about 4 metres out and can be fully resolved at 3 metres, while 1080p looks better than 720p from about 2.4 metres and can be fully resolved at about 2m.

I'd guess that a lot more people sit 2.5m-4m from their TVs (and so benefit from 720p over SD) than sit <2.4m away (and so benefit from 1080p over 720p). But if you do sit less than 2.4m away, and especially if you sit less than 2m away, and you're choosing between two screens that are identical in every respect other than resolution, then of course you'd go for the 1080p. Otherwise -- give 768 a chance!

(Disclaimer: I don't know whether these numbers are exactly right, but it doesn't really matter to the argument unless they're wildly wrong.)

Hi Wally, do you have any other links which do a comparison? Why do we think it will be that much better (I'm not trying to be rude), obviously it will be an improvement but how much is the question.

Hi Chris, the 80% lower black levels is the main reason to go with it over the 507. Heres a couple of links that should be of interest.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39...291826-2,00.htm

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/projectkuro/

• 2 weeks later...
New panels arriving September now. Pioneer is out of the 507s and because the gap to October is too large they are pushing out the new displays. :D

Apparently the 508 will have a new feature. Pioneer will not say what it is, we will have to wait till pioneer launch, end of this month. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Apparently the 508 will have a new feature. Pioneer will not say what it is, we will have to wait till pioneer launch, end of this month. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

auto-destruct (for the entire residence) when Channel Noyyyyyyyyyyyyyne selected... :rolleyes:

but seriously... it has 3 HDMI inputs and with the full 1080 that could spell the end for DVDO couldn't it... no more HDMI switches needed either, now WTH didn't I wait 3 months... still the 50MXE20 will look good in the kitchen, or toilet.. (tee hee)

but seriously... it has 3 HDMI inputs and with the full 1080 that could spell the end for DVDO couldn't it... no more HDMI switches needed either, now WTH didn't I wait 3 months... still the 50MXE20 will look good in the kitchen, or toilet.. (tee hee)

I think you will find the 508 is still only 1366 x 768 the full 1920 x 1080s are due later in the year.

( If I read the U.K. launch correctly ).

I think you will find the 508 is still only 1366 x 768 the full 1920 x 1080s are due later in the year.

( If I read the U.K. launch correctly ).

Correct, sometime in Spetember they will be releasing the 1080P screens in the UK.

New panels arriving September now. Pioneer is out of the 507s and because the gap to October is too large they are pushing out the new displays. :D

A September release will also enable Pioneer to get widespread media attention before the Sony "Full HD" advertising juggernaut gets into full swing in October to promote their new range of LCD TV's.

Correct, sometime in Spetember they will be releasing the 1080P screens in the UK.

But we may get something different here in oz. The woman I spoke to at Pioneer said they don't know yet but she said it might be a 1080p panel. I personally think it will be a inbuilt PVR as suggested by Ice Magik.

Wouldnt take much to build in a some sort of picture frame feature incorporating the USB. That would be handy for wall mounted panels.

Hi,

Any news on early or late September? Think I will wait for it after reading the reviews, though was nearly tempted the other day on a hard to beat 507 runout price:) They are a great panel too.

Keep us updated please wallywonka........you seem to be privy to the 'inside' info.

cheers