New B&w 600 Series

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone's heard or seen of the new B&W 600 series (AKA the 68 series, or 600 series 4) in Oz yet?

I'm particuarly interested in comparing the CM1's to the new 686's - on paper they are identical other than the crossover and of course the cabinet finish, so if they can get close to the CM1 performance at half the price (using the US MSRP as a base - $900/pr vs $450/pr) they could be just the speaker bargain I'm looking for!

More info here: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2311

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cnet.com.au has a news item on the 685 and prices for the smallest theatre package which comes to $3500 for 686/685/htm62/asw608.

haven't found prices for other releases in oz.

e-hifi.com.au is the distributor and hasn't posted the series on their website yet. if the cnet prices are correct then it is cheaper than the previous 600 series which quadrupled the british price. the british prices for the new speakers are higher but we seem to be paying the same or less. not bad but the floorstand speakers could be expensive.

main

B&W 686 2-way standmount $800

B&W 685 2-way standmount $1000

B&W 684 2.5-way floorstander ?

B&W 683 3-way floorstander ?

Centre

HTM62 2-way centre $700

HTM61 3-way centre ?

Subwoofer

ASW608 2-way centre $1000

ASW610 2-way centre ?

ASW610XP 2-way centre ?

Surround

DS3 Dipole/monopole surround ?

how much is the new cm series in australia?

Thanks for the heads-up Jhans, although they're still outrageously priced on Oz, at least it's not as bad as the previous series.

As for prices on the floorstanders, here's the US MSRP to base some guesstimates off:

Model, USD, AUD

686, $450, $800

685, $600, $1000

684, $1000, ?

683, $1400, ?

HTM61, $600, ?

HTM62, $400, $700

ASW608, $450, $1000

ASW610, $600, ?

ASW610XP, $1000, ?

The ASW608 active sub immediately seems overpriced in Oz, but then again it's *all* overpriced in Oz..

Still interested in how the 686's stack up to the CM1's.. Time will tell I guess.

The new 600 series is slowly coming into the country over the next couple of months.

Current 600 series range nearly sold out by Convoy, so some stores who did not stock up will be left without any for awhile.

RRP has been set for the range, will try to remember to look at the list when I get back to work.

thanks Mr Freeze thats good news. i heard a rumour that the new range were to be made in china. great to see the FST driver make it into the range this time but to me (pureley based on pictures ive seen) the 600 series are aestheticly better but i expect the new series to sound better

not that it matter that its made in china...but r u serious? that can only benefit the company 1 way, more profits. if they chucked more important components in the new range, then i guess made in china would be ok, but...yea...theyve always made them in eng, why change!

besides the silver cover @ the tweeter, the front same black plastic surround of the 685 looks too much like the wharfedale 8diamonds though, esp in beech colour :blink: their made in china too!

hehe

Thanks for the info MrFreeze.

When you look at these compared to the US MSRP prices, it's pretty obvious someone's making a little extra margin..

main

B&W 686 $799 (USD$450 = ~AUD$540)

B&W 685 $999 (USD$600 = ~AUD$720)

B&W 684 $1999 (USD$1000 = ~AUD$1200)

B&W 683 $2699 (USD$1400 = ~AUD$1680)

Centre

HTM62 $699 (USD$400 = ~AUD$480)

HTM61 $999 (USD$600 = ~AUD$720)

Subwoofer

ASW608 $999 (USD$450 = ~AUD$540)

ASW610 $1199 (USD$600 = ~AUD$720)

ASW610XP $1899 (USD$1000 = ~AUD$1200)

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody who needs to complete a 5.1 or 7.1 setup with the S3 series had better act fast as their are only a limited range of models left in Perth with almost all the black finish gone and the bookself models are almost all gone as well.

One dealer was selling them at basically full retail whereas West Coast Hi Fi are doing good prices if you ask .

New models are not all going to be available to start with and are still a month or so away at least I was told today.

I took the oportunity to upgrade my LCR60 center to a LCR 600.

Brendon

my problem is that I actually need new Fronts Left and Right. Have the LCR600 as the centre with DM602's as my current Front L&R. I was considering getting the 603s3 as new fronts and moving the 602s to reear duties ..... but will now probably wait for the new s4 series floor mount speakers as I think the specs are much much better. Won't have tonal matching but I can always upgrade my centre to the s4 series at some stage.

Apparently, Surround Sounds in Nedlands will be obtaining some new 600 series by week's end, so, ring them up late this week and just confirm, and an audition should not be a drama. The new 600 series sure appears superb value; its largest floorstanding loudspeakers retail at AUD$2,699.00 per pair and are a 3-way loudspeaker.

Apparently, B&W is not one to offer reasonable discounts for its loudspeakers. Generally, it is easy to get 10%-15% off RRP for loudspeakers, but getting a 5% discount off B&W loudspeakers, apparently, is about the best you're going to get. However, I must admit the new 600 series do look tremendously good - on paper, at least.

I am sure to audition them this weekend, if they are available in Perth retail stores. I am not purchasing any, as I've only recently got my Neuphonix, but it's good to listen to other loudspeakers out there, plus my brother-in-law is looking to upgrade his 8 or 9 year old Euphonix.

Cabinet-work is almost sure to be sourced from China, I would guess. Nothing wrong with Chinese-sourced cabinets, though. The 683 is the one that I am most eager to audition, not for myself, but for people whom I may be able to recommend them to. Stunning price for a B&W proper 3-way floorstanding loudspeaker.

Of course the prices in America are going to be cheaper then here. Umm last time I checked over 300 million ppl vs over 21 million is a pretty big difference in terms of the HT market.

The 600 series have always represented great value, now that is even more so. I think the pricing is justified.

Can't wait to audition them myself!!!

I can't even think of another true 3-way medium to large floorstanding loudspeaker from a world-reknowned brand that retails at under $3,000.00! I reckon the new B&W 683 will be a large volume seller.

I listened to the B&W 703 last Saturday (the largest of the floorstanding 700 series, anyway. I think it's called the 703) and they are really good, but at $5,500.00 unfortunately out of the budgets of most of us.

Of course the prices in America are going to be cheaper then here. Umm last time I checked over 300 million ppl vs over 21 million is a pretty big difference in terms of the HT market.

The 600 series have always represented great value, now that is even more so. I think the pricing is justified.

I found the old 600 series were overpriced in Australia compared with canadian speakers from paradigm and energy. Hopefully the new series will represent better value.