Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

The 5 year extended warranty was taken out through Myer - the policy states - After three repairs have been completed on this Plan and if that individual product requires a fourth repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product or comparable product of like kind, quality and performance, not to exceed the original purchase price. Technology advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product. This no lemon clause starts on the day you purchased your product cover.

So what will your choice of replacement be??? If this lemon policy comes to pass??

I'll tell you how good it is !

I am now watching a 62" Toshiba and that's how good it is.

The Samsung is a piece of crap and I would'nt buy a Samsung product again no matter how cheap they are.

I had 5 faults with mine over a 15month period with the optic engine giving out 3 times and finally after many ,many discussions with Samsung Customer Service they gave me a store credit for the original purchase price $6k which got me the Toshi ,a HDMI Toshi HD STB,stand and a HDMI monster cable from Harvey Norman.

Anyone else who is having trouble with Samsung keep pushing as they offered me all sorts until I got what I wanted.The customer care centre is just a call centre and it was'nt until I rang head office and got the name of the Manager who is a Samsung Employee running the call centre did they take much notice of me.

They offered as follows

1.full Repair (I was happy with this originally ) and then they withdrew it the next day saying the guy should'nt have authorised it.

2.Repair with me paying the labour $360.............pigs fly !!

3.New model 61" RP Samsung L6HX but as it was an "upgrade" they wanted me to pay pro-rata $1300

What a hide they had saying it was an upgrade when u can buy one new for $3600.Anyway u know where I told them to take that.

4.Samsung 42 " plasma..............worth about $2500...........!!!! bull !!!!

5.Finally a store credit for $6k..............success

Anyway I just received the Toshi today and am tuning it in at present .I chose this after reading many of the threads on this site so may be looking for some setup guidance later

See ya.

Good Luck in choosing

Hi,

I note your comments, re warranty repairs etc. I have a samsung SP61L6HX DLP RPTV currently in for repair, faulty Digital board the repairer tells me, which he is presently waiting for from Samsung.

Can you give me the Telephone No. of the Samsung Head Ofice and the managers name please in case this thing starts to extend in repair time etc.

Regards :blink:

Further to the above, I re-read some ealier postings and noted a few have commented on the "un commanded shut downs" of the Samsung RPTVs being attributed to a tiny safety switch on the light house cover not working properley and erroneously indicating loose or the cover is removed, which causes the TV to turn off to prevent malfunctions or overheating etc.

Well isn`t that interesting as my repairer is replacing the Digital Board ? for this same problem. I wonder if he knows about this one???

• 3 weeks later...
Well looks like the engine in my 56" LCD Rear Pro will need to be replaced twice in 18 months.

Thankfully for the extended 5 year warranty. Seems the blue LCD Panel has developed two dark bands down either side of the far extremities of the tv. Looked at thye blue panel in the service menu and it's defineately the blue panel that has gone. Quite unbearable actually.

If only they would replace it. Three times in for repair and the lemon policy kicks in where apparently they will replace it. Maybe i should keep it on 24/7 to ensure it dies for the third time before the 5 year warranty is up.

Well its taken this long for a service agent to contact me and now they want to come and pick up the unit and take it away to investigate the problem (damn I know what the problem is), then they will order the part from Samsung to fix (know doubt I will be without for two months) - I wonder if they will extend my warrant by this period???? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had a call from the warranty people today. Apparently the cost to repair the TV is over 50% of the original cost of the TV, so they are going to replace it with something of equivelant. I should receive a call in the next 48 hours with options including LCD's and Plasmas. I also have the option of upgrading to another model at cost price. This has been a fantastic investment this extended warranty.

I let you know more as this develops.

All,

See guide on consumer rights (in my sig)

These TV's are quite clearly defective and not fit for purpose. You shouldnt (but will) have a problem getting your purchase price refunded in full (not just a store credit).

Bitey

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Think I'm going to take the plunge of the Sony 52" X Series over the Sony 60/70" SXRD Rear Pro to replace my noiw defunct Samsung, but I have also decided to replace my Panasonic PTAE 700 with the new Sony SXRD Pearl Projector at the same time. True HD Viewing pleasure - Bring on HD DVD Australia, because I am ready!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
i just got a samsung SP50L2HX.

and when i try connecting my xbox360 to it using the vga port. it says "out of range" and no screen appears.

but when i use the vga port for pc,it works great.

any idea y? i think my cable is still working.

pls help.thx.

Welcome to the forum!

I think it is one of 2 things. Either the resolution is too high (most likely the case), or the screen frequency is out of range.

I suggest to plug it in using the standard video/audio cables on video 1 so that you can set the vga settings up then toggle the display back to VGA with the Samsung Remote to see if its coming back up.

BTW how much did you get the 50" for?

Welcome to the forum!

I think it is one of 2 things. Either the resolution is too high (most likely the case), or the screen frequency is out of range.

I suggest to plug it in using the standard video/audio cables on video 1 so that you can set the vga settings up then toggle the display back to VGA with the Samsung Remote to see if its coming back up.

BTW how much did you get the 50" for?

i dont quite get ur instruction..

can u give more detail pls.. thx..

btw,i got it 2nd hand fr a fren for like 1k aud

• 3 weeks later...

i bought a 61" samsung rear pro in january this year first the lamp broke then the thing started turning off by it self the techs came out and said the engine needs changing which i accepted after being there for 2 weeks it was time to deliver it back to me on rout to my place he had an accident and smashed my tv and mind you he brang it back to my place in that condition to they said i will get a new 61' the same as mine in 2 days anyways they delivered me a supposedly new tv i hooked it up and the picture was blury it was jumping around and they sent the tech back and he said it needs a new engine now is that a new tv i dont think so now samsung wont help the store a bought it from wont help the good guys in narre warren i need to take sound and vision in blackburn to court if i want some thing done about it thats directly from samsung head office mind you they dont make them anymore so how can it be a new tv its probebly a reconditiond one there passing off as a new one

any suggestiong on what to do out there

Edited by atila35

Hi Everyone

Have just been searching the net for replacment lamps for my LCD RPTV SP61L2HX & came across

this forum.

Seems to be alot of problems with this model? i have had my since 04 when it fist came out & payed 10k for it & i am just started to have problems with it.

fist thing that happened wa that it kept turning itself on & off??? this happened about 2 months ago &

seemed to fix itself.

But now i could not turn it off with the remote so thought the battries in the remote where stuffed so replaced them, nothing tv still wouldnt swith off so turned it off a mains & low & behold now it wont switch on!

have not had any problem with picture etc just this. i have removed lamp and there seems to be a slight discolouration to glass thats all similar to a burn mark but clear.

Have contacted my extended warranty company & they where supposed to send an email to repairer to contact me but havent heard anything from them as yet & its been 3 days & what i am reading there not really worth the paper there written on either.

Bought it through Harvey Norman on Gold Coast & i am just about to ring the repairer as i got there number from the warranty company.

Hope the issue i have is only minor fingers crossed.

Cheers

Hi Everyone

Have just been searching the net for replacment lamps for my LCD RPTV SP61L2HX & came across

this forum.

Seems to be alot of problems with this model? i have had my since 04 when it fist came out & payed 10k for it & i am just started to have problems with it.

fist thing that happened wa that it kept turning itself on & off??? this happened about 2 months ago &

seemed to fix itself.

But now i could not turn it off with the remote so thought the battries in the remote where stuffed so replaced them, nothing tv still wouldnt swith off so turned it off a mains & low & behold now it wont switch on!

have not had any problem with picture etc just this. i have removed lamp and there seems to be a slight discolouration to glass thats all similar to a burn mark but clear.

Have contacted my extended warranty company & they where supposed to send an email to repairer to contact me but havent heard anything from them as yet & its been 3 days & what i am reading there not really worth the paper there written on either.

Bought it through Harvey Norman on Gold Coast & i am just about to ring the repairer as i got there number from the warranty company.

Hope the issue i have is only minor fingers crossed.

Cheers

From what you are saying its the engine that needs to be changed.mine started from the lamp aswell

• 1 month later...

OK my TV has been going flawlessly until tonight, and i'm hoping it's just the heat.

I was watching TV using the component 1 input and and all of a sudden i get random colours and lines and they slowly all fade to black.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/impakt01/random-tv.jpg

I power cycle the TV and it's all back to normal..

Anyone else seen this problem??

I don't have extended warranty as it was purchased direct from Samsung from a staff member.

Impakt

Hi all,

Let the TV go for a bit longer, and basically it never happens on the TV input, but does happen on component 1 and DVI (the only other ones i've used).

Spoke to semtron and they reckon the digital board is stuffed, which is $250 exchange (if they can find one to exchange with).

Impakt

Hi all,

Sibnet are coming around in a couple days to change the mainboard, $430 parts and labour. Considering the prices of some other repairs i'm not complaining. They say that the mainboard change requires convergence calibration which all up takes an hour to replace and calibrate.

So far i'm very happy with the service from the guys down there :blink:

Impakt

Hi all,

Let the TV go for a bit longer, and basically it never happens on the TV input, but does happen on component 1 and DVI (the only other ones i've used).

Spoke to semtron and they reckon the digital board is stuffed, which is $250 exchange (if they can find one to exchange with).

Impakt

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a problem with the TV changing the input source at random whilst watching various input sources (eg: watch DVI and it pops back to TV input at random). It used to be OK for about 45 to 50 mins each time but then as it got hot the problems would start. It also would not shut down via the remote, it would cooll down, switch the fan off then restart itself - annoying. I rang the extended warranty people and they sent Semtron around who replaced the entire board that contains the input connectors on the back. Everything is good and I now wonder if I will have any more problems in the future. There is 18 months left on the warranty. With the first repair last year of an optic engine and now this, Semtron tell me that if it breaks down again the warranty company will most likely replace it with a similar product.

I recently had a problem with the TV changing the input source at random whilst watching various input sources (eg: watch DVI and it pops back to TV input at random). It used to be OK for about 45 to 50 mins each time but then as it got hot the problems would start. It also would not shut down via the remote, it would cooll down, switch the fan off then restart itself - annoying. I rang the extended warranty people and they sent Semtron around who replaced the entire board that contains the input connectors on the back. Everything is good and I now wonder if I will have any more problems in the future. There is 18 months left on the warranty. With the first repair last year of an optic engine and now this, Semtron tell me that if it breaks down again the warranty company will most likely replace it with a similar product.

I think they might have fixed the probs boris. I had the same two problems and it has been ok (cross fingers) for the last 6 months

cheers,

john

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to get a Blu-Ray player for my 46" LCD RPTV. Any ideas if this display's DVI connection is HDCP compliant?

ps. i need to get a convertor from HDMI to DVI as i think most if not all Blu Ray players only have HDMI and not DVI.

Cheers,

Kenn.

We have the 61" Sammy, bought in March 2004.

The problem we are now having with it is that every so often it just wont switch on. Sometimes it cycles thru the start up sequence for 10 to 20 minutes before switching on. Sometimes it doesnt start at all. Other times it starts straight away.

We had this problem over 6 months ago and a tech came out from a "gold" service agent who said that the globe needed replacing. I didn't accept that at the time but funnily enough the unit didnt fault again until recently.

Any ideas as to what is the problem?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to get a Blu-Ray player for my 46" LCD RPTV. Any ideas if this display's DVI connection is HDCP compliant?

ps. i need to get a convertor from HDMI to DVI as i think most if not all Blu Ray players only have HDMI and not DVI.

Cheers,

Kenn.

It does - I have the Samsung HD937 which uses HDCP and it works. However I believe that there is inconsistency as to how vendors support HDCP so you would need to test this somehow...

Hey,

I've got a Samsung SP61L2HX 61" RPTV, its almost 3yrs old now, and tonight it has developed a problem as it would turn itself off by itself after a minute or two.

After this the "Timer" LED flashes and "Lamp" LED stays lit, there is no error code under this description in the manual.

At this point, I would turn the TV off at the switch on the side (since it will not respond to the remote) and turn it on again, and now only the "Timer" LED flashes and nothing happens.

If I leave the TV to settle for a few minutes, and turn it off and on again, it will start up, but after a few minutes of normal viewing the TV will turn itself off again, and the process repeats itself.

I suspected it maybe a lamp problem, so I called up a Samsung repair place and they said it was most likely a lamp problem aswell. So I bought a brand new lamp today, and it didn't fix the problem at all.

Also it seems to have developed a bad colour problem when it is actually on for those few minutes, below is a photo I took of the problem. As you can see there are blue lines all over the place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ter...f/DSCF0299e.jpg

does anybody know what could be going on?

thanks for your help,

Terry.

Edited by Terry0212

It does - I have the Samsung HD937 which uses HDCP and it works. However I believe that there is inconsistency as to how vendors support HDCP so you would need to test this somehow...

Hi,

Thanks for that. I guess i need to maybe borrow one from the shop to test :blink: