Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Ah, that explains it. Thanks, fossicker.

What about a workaround? I can't believe that the TV does not let you dump video to a DVD recorder or a PC.

Aren't HDMI cables supposed to carry information two-way?

HDMI cables only carry information one way

does anyone notice scan lines with their series 6 tvs? have used the settings from http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A656/Settings.htm. I have it going through foxtel and noticed faint scan lines moving along the screen, especially when the image on screen is dark. As increased the brightness the scan lines are more visible.

No, I haven't noticed any of that, I'm using the same settings, but I,m not going through Foxtel.

I bought a series 4 40" LCD at the GG's 3 weeks ago. Within days it refused to start up, using the remote. A "reboot" at the wall switch started it up immediately, but I would need to start this way about every 6th time. I contacted Samsung and they said to take it back to GG and they would replace it. Did so, GG's did replace BUT, a week later and this one has done it (once) also.

Is this a known bug? I asked Samsung Tech Services (James) and he said NOT to download firmware update and instal it, although knew nothing of my problem. - MitreBin

I bought a series 4 40" LCD at the GG's 3 weeks ago. Within days it refused to start up, using the remote. A "reboot" at the wall switch started it up immediately, but I would need to start this way about every 6th time. I contacted Samsung and they said to take it back to GG and they would replace it. Did so, GG's did replace BUT, a week later and this one has done it (once) also.

Is this a known bug? I asked Samsung Tech Services (James) and he said NOT to download firmware update and instal it, although knew nothing of my problem. - MitreBin

It is a known issue with the Sammys. I have had this happen several times. Word on the street is that Samsung are in final stages of testing a new firmware update to fix this issue. I had it happen about 3 times last week but haven't had the problem since. It sometimes occurs when quickly changing channels as well. This has only happened to me once.

do these HDTVTEST settings, make the picture look dull??

Im am using the default Dynamic settings..but im not sure weather these HDTV settings will make the picture better...

It depends how light your viewing room is. These settings are for a dark room, hence the low backlight setting of 3.

Just turn your backlight up a bit if your room is lighter.

Adjust the gammer to your liking as well, if you don't like it at "0", then try it around "3" or so.

Im am using the default Dynamic settings..but im not sure weather these HDTV settings will make the picture better...

Coming from dynamic to these will....mess with you so much lol. The TV will look extremely dull, with a very distinct yellow push in the whites. Dont let your eyes play tricks on you - these settings are very very natural. When I first tried them I decided that I didnt like them (too dull and whites looked yellow), so I changed the colour tone to Normal.

Then I read on AVForums that the yellow push is more of an optical illusion - Hold a solid white object (I used a white DVD cover) against a white section of the screen, and alternate between warm2 and normal - You should see that warm2 gives a much much much more natural tone of white. After seeing that I stuck with the HDTV settings and warm2, and honestly, I could not go to anything different now.

My opinion anyway.

Mind you I have the green colour space as 0|27|0 and re the scan lines mentioned, I have no sign of them.

EDIT - Fossicker is right, you will need a darkish room, if not adjust backlight.

Edited by quantanemo

"It is a known issue with the Sammys. I have had this happen several times. Word on the street is that Samsung are in final stages of testing a new firmware update to fix this issue. I had it happen about 3 times last week but haven't had the problem since. It sometimes occurs when quickly changing channels as well. This has only happened to me once."

Thanks Hingo for the quick reply. I love the picture/setup of the TV as I have poor vision and it's the clearest I've watched TV in years!, so I didn't want to get rid of it and change brands etc. I can put up with an occasional reboot and keep my eye on this forum for any firmware upgrade news

Thanks again - MitreBin

You were not the only one, I found them too dark aswell. After weeks and weeks of playing with settings I found that the cnet settings (Though with backlight to 4) were the best for Blu-ray movies (It looks amazing!!!) and just use your own settings for DTV and other input. Eg, start with default Standard or Movie and adjust to your liking (Play with the Contrast settings, I believe Brightness should not be over 46).

Edited by ADstv

You were not the only one, I found them too dark aswell. After weeks and weeks of playing with settings I found that the cnet settings (Though with backlight to 4) were the best for Blu-ray movies (It looks amazing!!!) and just use your own settings for DTV and other input. Eg, start with default Standard or Movie and adjust to your liking (Play with the Contrast settings, I believe Brightness should not be over 46).

got a link to these cnet settings m8??

Anyone know if there are any Samsung Promotions (Like the blu-ray player promotion) coming up shortly in the next month or so? I don't know if i should hold out buying now or what, with the Aussie dollar falling as well.

But i'm really tempted to buy now as well, but if there are promotions soon then i could hold out..

Anyone know if there are any Samsung Promotions (Like the blu-ray player promotion) coming up shortly in the next month or so? I don't know if i should hold out buying now or what, with the Aussie dollar falling as well.

But i'm really tempted to buy now as well, but if there are promotions soon then i could hold out..

I haven't heard of any, but the 7 series is coming soon, so maybe something then. :mellow:

I bought a 22" LA22A450 today from Dick Smith. They actually had none in stock so they gave me the display model with a 5% discount. So I got it for $512.

Took it home and when I turned it on the first thing I noticed is that there is a fair amount of backlight bleed along the top and bottom edge. It's noticeable cause my Windows desktop background is black. Later I found a bright red stuck pixel. Argh! Samsung website says you need 2 dead pixels to qualify for replacement.

Playing around further I noticed that it doesn't remember your Picture settings. I set it to Standard, where default was Dynamic. I adjusted the Backlight and Contrast. When I powered off and then on again, the TV was back in Dynamic mode again and my Brightness and Contrast adjustments were forgotten.

Also the 3.5mm audio jack for the headphones and PC audio input are the crappiest I have ever come across. I can't make a firm connection at all. You have to nudge it a bit to get stereo sound, but then the tiniest bump and it seems to only pick up one audio channel.

I think I'll be asking for a refund tomorrow.

You have it in "shop mode" where it defaults to bright horrible settings to make it stand out in the shop. This is no excuse for backlight bleed and dead pixels though. For the backlight, knock it back to 4 or 5 and it might help, also try flicking the screen if you have a stuck on pixel where the stuck one is, and it might knock it back into its senses :-)

Regards

You're right about the Shop Mode! Pressing a volume button + menu button for 5 secs returned it to Normal Mode.

I think I will return it though. I don't really want another LCD monitor with a bum pixel. Also I watched a movie that is in 2:35:1 aspect ratio and I can't help but notice the brighter outside edges. I have OCD so something like this is irritating for me. I prob. should have got a brand new one as I don't know how many hours this monitor has already been turned on for on the shop floor. Was an impulse buy.

I bought my second Samsung this past Saturday. I bought the Samsung LA32A450C1D for $999 at Good Guys Osborne Park WA. Plenty of stock, would not haggle on this price but did give me a free HDMI cord it. Set took all of ten minutes and absolutely fantastic picture and comes with a 3 year warranty.

It's all over. They said I can take a new engine for $1100 + labour (so around $1500 all up to repair) and that's it. OOFT were completely useless. I refused that offer and I'm left with a broken TV. I mentioned to them that i was offered a replacement 50" TV by someone on the phone but that offer has magically disappeared from their system and is off the table. If you're out of warranty then you're out of luck. Samsung are the most inconsistent, amateur, and rude company I have ever dealt with. After pleading with them I have come to the conclusion that they simply do not care.. This is after mentioning to all of them that some people on this thread in particular were able to achieve more faviourable results... Of course I will never, ever buy a Samsung product again.

And OOFT - you're in the same boat. If I wanted someone to repeat whatever Samsung told me I would have bought a parrot.

hey guys

re the promotion with the blu ray player, the site mucked up my email address so i cant receive them, but ive noticed on my status screen that it says its going to send the player in a few weeks and they will inform me when via email. Do I need to see that email, so as to click and reply or anything? or is it just a typical read-only noting me of when it was dispatched?

Edited by UnknownSoldier83

Same here.

Also for $35 I was expecting it to be delivered to the door, but the postie just left a card in the mailbox with the regular mail even though I was home all day.

The last Samsung promotion sent us a 19" LCD TV via a real courier and cost us nothing.

Peter.