Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Off topic:

I’m picking up a LA40M81BDX this weekend and I was hoping to get some advice on how best to connect it to my other devices (Pioneer DVD player, Supernet/Wintal PVR & JVC stereo).

Currently I’ve connected my DVD Player and the PVR separately to my existing CRT TV by composite. What I plan to do is connect each unit separately by component to the LA40M81BDX. I then plan on hooking up the LA40M81BDX to the stereo via optical (TOS to TOS) so I can hear any of the three sources thru the stereo if I choose. Have I got the right idea?

llsTixll - maybe you should stop getting angry and actually do something about getting the price you want? Have you bought one already?

If so maybe that's the reason why your acting the way you are.

I’m not getting angry mate…I was just skeptical of the price, that’s all. It was nothing personal.

I haven’t seen that price tag on the 46” M81 anywhere else (not even on any online store). Can you post the receipt and some pics of the TV just as proof? It’d be good to see it with our own eyes. :)

Cheers buddy

Intead of throwing accusations and doubts at Newbie_Tech, you should be thanking him. He's doing you a favour. I wouldn't advise scanning your recipt and posting it though, might cause complications with your warranty if other people try and use it.

Thats ridiculous. Someone's gonna print out a reciept and try to use it to return a TV? Are you retarded?

newbie_tech should post proof or I say he's lying.

I'm not going to say anyone's lying, and I couldn't see any reason for anyone to lie on here about a price they got for something in a retail shop (other than to boast??? I don't know). I do however find the quoted prices almost "too good to be true" and you know the old saying about if it seems too good to be true....

Though a few others seem to be getting pretty good prices for the M81 46" as well though the reaction I got from Myer Melbourne and I sat with the sales guy as he CALLED Chatswood and spoke to them just seemed to suggest that there's no way in hell they would be setting a set for sub $4k. When I tried to bargain with the guy the "best" he could do on it was $4300 and that was not even a week ago (and I'm aware you can do better than that).

I think a scanned receipt with the cardnumber/name etc blanked out (if paid with CC) showing the store location, date and possibly sales rep name and price would be helpful to perhaps get a deal out of the same chains tore(eg: Myer) or even the competition without causing any issues with warranty.

I'd use my own receipt if I bought one and needed the warranty :)

Guest kiffies
Thats ridiculous. Someone's gonna print out a reciept and try to use it to return a TV? Are you retarded?

newbie_tech should post proof or I say he's lying.

The serial number of the unit and CC info may cause problems, I say this from working from in retail and having people try the same thing. He's not lying I got the same deal, $3600. So if you don't believe us, by all means go right ahead and buy one for full price.

The serial number of the unit and CC info may cause problems, I say this from working from in retail and having people try the same thing. He's not lying I got the same deal, $3600. So if you don't believe us, by all means go right ahead and buy one for full price.

Cool. Where did you get yours from?

I think the point is that punters out here just want to get a similar sort of deal to you guys so we don't have to pay full price :) It's a little difficult though going in to some place (eg: myer) and saying "yeah I read online some bloke got the 46" M81 for $3500/$3600 at Myer Sydney - Centrepoint/Chatswood so can you patch it when you have a price tag of $4495?" I'm amazed the guy I spoke to at Myer Melb even bothered to CALL Chatswood to confirm or deny my story.. and of course the denied it as I have recounted several times. Maybe I do need to fly to Sydney! LOL

ya think the M81 46" would fit in the overhead bin? :D

Still learning about video technologies guys so a few quick questions on the M81s...

1) I have an XBOX360. Probably a stupid question, but if it's connected via VGA and I watch a DVD or even a HD-DVD through it, will I see judder on this TV?

2) Will I see judder on FTA Digital TV sources as well?

Well guys I caved in when Danny (JB Melbourne) offered me the 46" M81 for $3999. Yes, I could do better (online, in sydney) but I decided the extra $300(or whatever) saving was worth it to me personally to have a big chain behind me IF there are any problems. The price was certainly better than any I'd seen or been offered here in Melbourne and frankly I couldn't be bothered stuffing around with it anymore and did the Nike "just do it" thing and put my foot down. I got the 2nd last one they had in stock he informed me.

He's a smooth worker Danny but a nice bloke and I enjoyed dealing with him.

Good luck to all those who can do (and have done) a better price.. I'm not going to be upset about it or anything.. half all of your luck I say! :)

Now, I hope the set lives up to allt he hype and my expectations! :)

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread!

Currently I’ve connected my DVD Player and the PVR separately to my existing CRT TV by composite. What I plan to do is connect each unit separately by component to the LA40M81BDX. I then plan on hooking up the LA40M81BDX to the stereo via optical (TOS to TOS) so I can hear any of the three sources thru the stereo if I choose. Have I got the right idea?

You are connecting the DVD and PVR via optical to the amp too right? Sounds perfect.

Kiffies, I'm happy to have helped you out in saving over $500. Same with 'Digital'. Both were purchased in Sydney so I guess it's the place to be to pick up a bargain for this LCD. I guess the costs in Melb would be different because of stock levels and how the store is going in profit for the financial year.

RichardMEL - sorry I couldn't help but I'm glad you bought it finally. $3999 is still a great price, much better than other stores.

no worries n_t... now my worries are over... until I get the set! ha ha! no just kidding.

Getting it on Friday. They offered tomorrow but I am busy so Friday am hopefully I will be smiling and not worrying how much it is going for in Sydney or anywhere else.

The way I see it... you KNOW in a month or two when new displays come out or general prices drop you will see the model you bought (of whatever item) at a cheaper price and think "gee, if only I'd waited I could have saved more!" but you can keep doing that month after month and end up with nothing. I figure sometimes it's best to bite the bullet when you can get a reasonable deal. I mean no way I would pay the $4300+ prices tagged on those guys but I'm happy with what I got even if it is a "middle of the road" cheap price.

So now I'm officially not worrying about prices anymore and start to worry about hooking it up :D

Oh yeah these sets are malaysian build with the new firmware, but I'll double check that when I get mine.

You are connecting the DVD and PVR via optical to the amp too right? Sounds perfect.

Ummmm actually I was thinking that the audio signal would 'pass through' the TV from the DVD/STB to the stereo, eliminating the need for multiple optical cables.

I figure this means that each individual source needs to be connected directly to the stereo separately?

I'm curious to know anybody's experience with hooking one of the 46" M81's up to a PC for displaying games.

I'm thinking something like Half Life 2 at max res it can output could be pretty insane assuming there is a graphics card capable of it.

Anyone done something like this yet?

I'm curious to know anybody's experience with hooking one of the 46" M81's up to a PC for displaying games.

I'm thinking something like Half Life 2 at max res it can output could be pretty insane assuming there is a graphics card capable of it.

Anyone done something like this yet?

yep. get a dvi-to-hdmi cable, make sure the settings on the pc vid card are 1080p, and away you go. i've found BF2 to look great at 1920x1080. With the 8800gtx, it works well with everything turned on high etc. if i remember correctly, HL2 is a little less taxing on the PC/vid card. I'm SO glad I got the 46" instead of the 40". Even with a 46" in my small-ish living room (2.5-3m viewing distance), I still occasionally pull the couch up a little closer....

hey thanks sclyde, but I cant find the option in regards to the first bit..could you post any screenies? that would be awesome...

still tried tonight, can't get 1080p going : /...gonna wait till i get my new cable (the 2m atlona 1080p certified) before i bang my head as to what to do next if it doesnt work..

i went to insert a screenshot of the my nvidia control panel, but couldn't find the "attachments" button. any ideas how to do this?

To the guys who got the 46" M81 for $3500-$3600. Would you guys be interested in buying one for me then shipping it up to Queensland?

Edit: Actually scrap that - forgot I'm in Sydney next week! Who should I talk to at Myer Chatswood/Centrepoint?

Is it normal for a TV within its first 200 hours to get ghosting? I notice that when my screen goes black (changing inputs, TV/Movie has a black/dark scene) that the image before hand, be it the TV menu, or the dvd menu, etc, leaves a ghosting imprint on the screen.

Also I noticed when watching anime DVD's, I see the like a red and green tint on the screen. Mainly shows on their skin/faces. I've adjusted my settings but can't get rid of it. I rang a technician today and said that to calibrate my TV, they'll have to take it to their workshop >.<

My settings are on Standard, with the contrast at 70, and brightness at 40.

PS..when cleaning the screen how should it be done? Seeing as I got a display model, The Good Guys cleaned it, but when ever the screen goes bright it looks a bit..smudged.

Need help... Anyone know who to turn on PIP. It's graded out under "Setup" and I receive a message saying "Not Available" when i press the PIP button.

I've just received my Samsung on Monday i just did the initial setup. Going through the manual is not very helpful.

Need help... Anyone know who to turn on PIP. It's graded out under "Setup" and I receive a message saying "Not Available" when i press the PIP button.

I've just received my Samsung on Monday i just did the initial setup. Going through the manual is not very helpful.

it only works on certain inputs/sources. i can't remember the page in the manual, but think it is about page 22. there's a table there showing when you can use it. given the restrictive combinations, i find pip totally useless on this tv.

Hmmm. A few people claim to have seen this locally now.. A bit worrying... I'm not sure if this is a problem with something like movieplus being on?? Is anyone using a C91 / Q91 via a HTPC tuner / other STB??? If so, do you still have judder?

I'm thinking this problem may be linked to the tuner on the display itself...

I have this judder issue via my HTPC. The tuner is a Dvico Dual HD tuner. My rig has given me excellent pictures (completely judder free on my previous monitor - LG SD Plasma.

So if anyone else has had this problem and fixed it, please let us know how to do it.

Greg

Ummmm actually I was thinking that the audio signal would 'pass through' the TV from the DVD/STB to the stereo, eliminating the need for multiple optical cables.

I figure this means that each individual source needs to be connected directly to the stereo separately?

Can't do that. There is no optical audio input on the TV. Only an optical output. There are optical switch boxes you can get.