Blendzilla Downunder

Gino

Disclaimer: I'm only renting, so this is the best I could do in the meantime. (I've got to figure out a way to get the walls black, and I need more rugs) Better pics when I get my wide angle lens. Some pics feature a HDDVD case for scale.

[Pic 01]

The first thing you'll notice is the 4m wide 2.40 screen. I've done my best to make it dark with black curtains and acoustic tiles and some bass traps.

[Pic 02]

Here you see my view from the sweetspot. As you can see my Twins, 2 identical Marquee 9500LC Ultra's. These are 9" 3 Gun Liquid Coupled beasts. Have had these tweaked with many board modifications, HFQ900 lenses (best out there) etc... Why CRT? Insane Blacks, massive Contrast Ratio's and hence a silky film like 3 dimensional image... Stunning, and the best out there I'd wager. The advantage of running a blended CRT projection system? Well.. There's 2 of them!! This means, bigger screen, more light output, and still keeps a short throw so still very sharp. What is Blended? Each projector does one side of the screen and blends seamlessly in the middle 10%.

[Pic 03]

Here you see the first of Andrew's marvelous Atlantis 15" subbies... this weighs 100kg easy! Subsonic performance, below 10Hz... but our measuring equipment can't go lower! Right next to it is a modifed version of the Aslan Acoustics AUSTRAL. Same components, just minus the sub.

[Pic 04]

Here'e the matching centre channel. Again, same components. You'll notice that the front speakers are all inclined up towards my ear level. My seats are actually on a 45cm platform so that the projectors aren't in your line of sight.

[Pic 05]

And here, the second Atlantis... insanity! I took this shot to show the depth of this thing. It features a Redgum 500W plate amp, with an upgraded heatsink and power supply to handle 1500W peaks with ease. You can see the bass traps in the background.

[Pic 06]

This is one of 4 Surrounds. Di/Bi pole, again same components as the Austral's and this completes my uber 7.2 speaker setup.

[Pic 07]

Here is the custom made Redgum Gear from Ian. On the bottom is my 5x280W RMS 8ohm amp for centre and surrounds. Then the 2x280W amp for the mains and music. Then the preamp for 7.2 processing, but I mainly use it now for the Stereo LFE outs... brilliant for music! On top is the Rotel preamp RSP-1068. Have this for the 7.1 analog in, for my TrueHD and DD+.

[Pic 08]

Here's the Shanling CDT300 Valve CD player (Limited Edition). Sounds better than it looks.

More photos of the remaining gear will come, but once they're off the floor. Waiting to find a suitable rack for it all. Also, will post some screen shots soon, so you can see what the projectors are capable of.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but think though the money spent on this you may not need to rent :D

Completely understandable, especially considering I've spent into the 6 figures :blink:

BUT in my defence, I'm only in the are 'short term' and am putting money aside for a house when my partner and I have decided were to live.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It means a lot coming from other enthusiasts who can really appreciate it.

I'm planning on taking some screenshots to show off the capability of BlendZilla. Any requests?

Yep, Jane Fonda in Barbarella :blink:

Hey Gino

Good to see some pics of it all finally sitting in place and doing what it should.

I can see how the walls at the side would annoy you a bit but it is a rental and you have done an awesome job with not being able to just cut here, knock out there and paint this bit.

Still looking forward to seeing it in the flesh next year. :blink:

I'm simply gobsmacked at your set up Gino, man its so impressive and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it. I think next time I get upgradis I'll call you!. :blink:

If this were a d!ck extension contest, then you'd have a tag team of Ron Jeremy and John Holmes licked!!

But it's not, and anyone that thinks even remotely along these lines is ignoring the passion and enthusiasm which all of us apply to our systems. Even in an amazing system such as this, where it would appear that money is no object, there is still that same sense of passion, enthusiasm and individualism, that makes any owner truly proud of their set up. No matter how humble or grand.

Congratulations Gino. I hope we all aspire to your level of passion, rather than grandeur!!

Some questions:

Do the CRT's have fans and do they make much noise? Is it intrusive, specially, as they are quite close to the main listening area?

Having the screen tilted is obviously so the CRT image doesn't keystone, but does this affect your viewing image at all?

Does it look "square" from where you sit?

Are they just heavy drapes along the wall behind the screen or accoustic panels?

Do they extend all the way behind the screen as well and does this make a difference to the room accoustics?

You need to get yourself a decent AV rack to house the equipment. You can check out www.sounddesignfurniture.com.au who are based in Brisbane and have some nice stuff (I have nothing to do with them, just like their stuff and would suit your equipment IMO).

Anyway, very nice to see how far your setup has come over the last months Gino.

Yep, Jane Fonda in Barbarella :P

Sorry, don't have that one.

Request : Not Polar Express!

Why not? I hear that's reference material.

I can see how the walls at the side would annoy you a bit but it is a rental and you have done an awesome job with not being able to just cut here, knock out there and paint this bit.

Still looking forward to seeing it in the flesh next year. :P

Thanks mate, I tried my best. Still think I can do more, I really need to get it all darker, need to reduce reflections and increase that ANSI/Sequential CR! When will you be coming?

Gino, how does the system sound using the Rotel 1068 in say DD or DTS compared to the Redgum custom offering?

Great sound from both. Redgum seems more enveloping, Rotel obviously has discrete channels, I guess it's what you prefer. I like the Rotel for the most part, especially so I can get TrueHD and DD+... but I prefer redgum for 2 channel sources like foxtel or Wii. Definitely like the redgum for my music though.

I'm simply gobsmacked at your set up Gino, man its so impressive and I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it. I think next time I get upgradis I'll call you!. :P

Yes, it was unfortunate I didnt get the blend setup in time last weekend. You're welcome this weekend, let me know, but it's so close to christmas, don't know how busy you are. What did you want to watch?

Congratulations Gino. I hope we all aspire to your level of passion, rather than grandeur!!

Well said :P I do this not to brag, I do this cos I love it!

So when are you holding the LOTR trilogy marathon night? :P

Whenever you want mate. I do plan to watch this soon though. I've just got the 1080i .ts files for the trilogy. Should look very good indeed. Will post screen shots of these for sure.

I can't wait for when you decide where to live and put it all into a dedicated room, Art will have a challenger for the title. :P

I can't wait either... oooh, the extravagant plans I have! :blink: Room within a room, must be completely sound proof. I want this room to be able to go over 100db without a peep to the outside. :D

Do the CRT's have fans and do they make much noise? Is it intrusive, specially, as they are quite close to the main listening area?

I was just thinking this. The big CRTs generally have lots of fans and are quite noisy and I'd imagine that the marquees would be no different. Or are you just putting up with the noise (if any) until permanent residency happens and you can build them into proper hushboxes?

Yes, CRT's have multiple fans and are notoriously noisy, particlarly the larger units like mine. This is why most build a hush box to silence them. I've had fan modifications and foam inserts placed in mine. This has really brought the noise down quite a lot, although you can still hear them. Not much more noise than some other av gear I've heard though, quiter than an xbox360. You don't notice when watching though, honestly, guests and myself are always too engrossed in the experience to hear it unless you are looking for it. I do have plans to get a hush box in the dedicated theatre, still working out how I can do it temporarily for the moment.

Having the screen tilted is obviously so the CRT image doesn't keystone, but does this affect your viewing image at all?

Does it look "square" from where you sit?

You are correct, keystone means odd shaped rasters on a square tube face, so you utilise more tube face when less keystone, and hence more light output. No affect on the viewing image at all, as you setup the geometry just as you want it. Defintely square from where I sit, in fact I think the other added benefit is that it reflects the light directly back at the viewing area.

Are they just heavy drapes along the wall behind the screen or accoustic panels?

Do they extend all the way behind the screen as well and does this make a difference to the room accoustics?

There are heavy drapes along the wall and behind the screen. There are also acoustic panel surrounding the screen top and bottom, and more tiles and bass traps in the corners. I'd say definitely helps acoustics. The room would be so live without them, see the marble floors!

You need to get yourself a decent AV rack to house the equipment. You can check out www.sounddesignfurniture.com.au who are based in Brisbane and have some nice stuff

Yes I know, I have plans to visit another company in Sydney who makes custom AV racks. Will investigate my options in the new year.