Sony Bravia 3lcd Rear Projectors - Any Good?

Iam using 1224x688 by Setting up Powerstrip to yield 1:1 Pixel Mapping that I got from following this thread.

Isn't 1224x688 an unsupported res? I tried VGA input at 1280x768 (says it's supported in the manual) and it works...but I get black borders on Full1/2 modes, and Zoom mode cuts off too much. (I cant find any way to adjust width/height of the image).

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Abraxsus
Isn't 1224x688 an unsupported res? I tried VGA input at 1280x768 (says it's supported in the manual) and it works...but I get black borders on Full1/2 modes, and Zoom mode cuts off too much. (I cant find any way to adjust width/height of the image).

I highly recommend following the instructions in that thread, 1:1 pixel mapping is much better, dont forget you need to have the TV set to zoom though. 1224x688 works fine.

Price of 2250 (finance and 5y warranty) was from the good guys in Victoria. LOVE the 50 inch. I would have liked the 55 inch but I live in a unit and 55 was just to big. The 50 inch looks perfect, and fits the stand ideally (4.5 mm to spare on each side :blink:).

Quality is amazing and brightness is not an issue, I had to drastically turn down the brightness when I first got it in fact, now running at 50% odd. Off center viewing is not a problem, there is a bit of darkness if your viewing outside of the frontal 120 degrees, but nothing significant.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget to factor in a HD STB with this tv if you don't have one already (TV has an analogue tuner only). I managed to get the 50" for $2400 with a Sony DSTHD500 high def STB and 5 year warranty. Delivery is next week so I can't really say much about it yet :blink:

I highly recommend following the instructions in that thread, 1:1 pixel mapping is much better, dont forget you need to have the TV set to zoom though. 1224x688 works fine.

Thanks. Looks much better :blink:

I have to agree this is an underated display. Fantastic price and great picture.

Don't forget to factor in a HD STB with this tv if you don't have one already (TV has an analogue tuner only). I managed to get the 50" for $2400 with a Sony DSTHD500 high def STB and 5 year warranty. Delivery is next week so I can't really say much about it yet :blink:

With the HD STB thrown in, that's a deal thats going to be hard to beat for a 50" TV.

Well done.

With the HD STB thrown in, that's a deal thats going to be hard to beat for a 50" TV.

Well done.

Thanks Dr Smith, I'm pretty happy with it. The advantages of getting a group of people to buy together and looking at the best prices paid on this forum :D

I notice that you have the same Sony STB. Do you mind letting me know how you have found it's performance. I notice a few people have complained about some reliability issues.

Soz for being a bit off topic :blink:

Thanks Dr Smith, I'm pretty happy with it. The advantages of getting a group of people to buy together and looking at the best prices paid on this forum :D

I notice that you have the same Sony STB. Do you mind letting me know how you have found it's performance. I notice a few people have complained about some reliability issues.

Soz for being a bit off topic :blink:

BB where did you get that deal from, I have a friend who may be interested in one of these? Thanks

I got this deal from HN in Adelaide. Should admit that the total package included 2x50" 3LCD tvs, a couple of 40" V series Sony lcds, 3 Panasonic EX75 HDD/DVD recorders, 2 Sony HD STBs, 2 Onkyo HTIBs and a Krix KDX centre channel speaker. The guy I dealt with was happy to price match on a big deal like that.

I have found the general operation of the STB to be faultless. There was some sort of locking up issue with some units but a quick reading of this thread on the STB itself suggests to me that this is a firmware issue on earleir units.

I do however have an issue with the picture from HDMI which I have referred to in the above thread and also the SXRD owners thread.

I got this deal from HN in Adelaide. Should admit that the total package included 2x50" 3LCD tvs, a couple of 40" V series Sony lcds, 3 Panasonic EX75 HDD/DVD recorders, 2 Sony HD STBs, 2 Onkyo HTIBs and a Krix KDX centre channel speaker. The guy I dealt with was happy to price match on a big deal like that.

The STB was an extra supplied by Sony when I purchased the TV.

Just incase anyone wanted a size comparison (and to show off my setup)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7159/tvxk6.png

Crappy webcam image, but the information is still there. Consoles in clockwise order from top left one are: Wii, Xbox360, Xbox (XBMC), PS2

(This is the 55" model)

As you can see the Wii is very very small and the tv is very very big. :blink:

No, no major issues with the Sony 3LCD units have been reported.

Good and cheap, a much underrated display.

How would you compare it against your Hitachi RPTV?

I was looking at the 3LCD product description and noticed that it uses HTPS (High Temperature PolySilicon). Now, considering that the much vaunted Sony SXRD use liquid crystal on silicon (I think) and it is the silicon that is different technology from standard LCD, it seems to me that the 3LCD might be closer to SXRD than conventional LCD and could be the reason for the great performance.

You’re pushing it comparing the Hitachi to the 3LCD.

The Hitachi is in a different league and significantly better then the 3LCD.

Resolution is higher, colour is more natural and black levels are insanely better.

I now have the 70” SXRD, which has black levels 4 times better then the 3 LCD, yet blacks are still poor compared to the Hitachi.

The 3LCD is an LCD with the same inherent contrast ratio as a flat panel LCD, although the iris should give it an advantage over LCD panels without a dynamic backlight system.

SXRD technology is very different to LCD. Not only is contrast ratio much better then LCD, but colour is also significantly better as well.

There is a good reason why the SXRD’s cost a lot more.

You’re pushing it comparing the Hitachi to the 3LCD.

The Hitachi is in a different league and significantly better then the 3LCD.

Resolution is higher, colour is more natural and black levels are insanely better.

Thanks Owen. After reading the glowing reports of the 3LCD, I wasn't sure how it compared to the other technologies. A pity the Hitachi RPTV are no longer available.

Although the 3LCD is based on "LCD", I did think the reference to polysilicon indicated maybe it shared more in common with SXRD than conventional LCD.

Guest mmclpis

Came across this thread on the 3lcd and have become interested in possibly purchasing one. Went to Retravision to check them out. They had a 55 inch displaying a hd Retravision promo/ad.

Picture looked great, but when the ad that was being displayed went to a full white screen, the middle section of the screen looked fuzzy/pixelated. It only occurred when the white was displayed and pretty much in the centre of the screen.

Would this be SDE? or does SDE effect the whole screen?

Any adjustments I could try?

Other than that I was very impressed.

Have been looking at LCD's and Plasma's, but never really gave any thought to RP. Seems to be a forgotten alternative.

Edited by mmclpis

Hey guys

Pretty interested in this TV - mainly for SD viewing and playing my Xbox 360 on

What is the ideal viewing distance - is 2m to close?

With just using the inbuilt tuner, what is SD viewing like (I am in direct sight to the towers on Mt Cootha (Brisbane)).

Also, anyone with a 360 care to share their experience