When Do I Jump In?

Yes but at what price? The Pioneer 5000EX plasma which is 1080P is $15,000.

Sony X series (46 inch) around the $6200 mark (beats 15 k for the Pioneer :blink: )

Sharp (new to be released series) estimated at or below the 6K mark.

I don't think this price level is that unreasonable, especially when compared to the only 1080p Plasma panel being more than 2 times the amount. The Sony seems to be priced cheaper in Australia as I note that the Europeans are paying 1500 - 2000 dollars more for the same panel (X series). Nice turn around for a change.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, to summarise.........

The OP asked whether to buy now or wait.....

One camp thought along these lines....

Lets be realistic here. By the time you get ticks in all those requirements, there's bound to be something bigger and better. Maybe 50" (1920x1080p) dual HD internal tuners HDMI 1.x and 2ms. Then you'll be asking the same question, hhmmm... wondering if it's time yet or should I wait till.....

The other camp thought....

***SNIP***

They're only coming on stream now, but as more manufacturers get in on the act over the next year, prices will fall...........

By Christmas this year I anticipate that there will be three or four panels..........

So really, no revelations from either camp, I guess that means buy what you want when you want to.

If you don't want a new display now, then life's looking good in that you'll have better / cheaper / more options if you buy later, but if you need / want a new display now then you'll have the benefit of a new display now.................

What would I do ? If I needed a new display now I'd do my homework and buy one that suited me, with the sole exception that I'd wait, but only for a specific model that I wanted, that wasn't vapor-ware, had it's release date set and was basically already on the ship.

As always, YMMV !!!

Austen.

It's not so much the extra resolution as the ability to eliminate scaling for true HD that I'm interested in with a 1920x1080 display. They're only coming on stream now, but as more manufacturers get in on the act over the next year, prices will fall.
I don’t follow…… what scaling?

Owen, if I may presume to step in and comment, surroundfan was of course referring to the fact that to display 1920 x 1080 material on a 1366 x 768 display, the 1920 x 1080 format video signal has to be rescaled and resampled.

I know that it is your position (expressed in discussions in this Forum on 1:1 pixel mapping) that all video should be overscanned when displayed (making scaling and resampling a virtual necessity of life) but a lot of people do not share that view, as you are aware.

It is beyond dispute that 1:1 pixel mapping enables crisp rendition of text and graphics generated by a PC at 1920 x 1080.

It is your position that 1:1 pixel mapping makes no visible difference in quality for 1920 x 1080 video material in practice, compared with overscanning, but for me the jury is still out on that question, pending availability of high bit-rate hd-dvd's to be viewed at leisure, and critically, in Australia, on 1920 x 1080 pixel displays.

The raging debate here really helped.

So, I jumped in today and bought.

Harvey Norman sold me a KDL-40X2000 for $5000 on 40 months interest free. I went and picked it up from the warehouse half an hour later. And now it is sitting in my house , ready to be set up.

Edited by dbb

In my experience, if you buy the best you can at any given time, you will always be happy.

It's funny the pain of spending more disappears with time but the enjoyment of having a good quality product goes on forever (or for a lot longer anyway). IMHO.

In November 2003 I purchased what I considered the best available at the time, a Sony KV-HR36M31 and a Toshiba S23 for $5400. I am glad I did. The gear is just coming up for it's third birthday. I have had 3 years of viewing pleasure. And that's what it's all about. I still lurk to see what's currently available, but certainly have not been tempted to upgrade.

Harvey Norman sold me a KDL-40X2000 for $5000 on 40 months interest free. I went and picked it up from the warehouse half an hour later. And now it is sitting in my house , ready to be set up.

Congrats on your purchase - I have seen one of these at HN. I would be interested in your thoughts after you had time to play with it.

Hi mate,

Whats the picture like?

I'm in the same boat as you were, trying to decide which LCD TV to get. Waiting to see how the KDL-40X2000 performs.

Thanks

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

That was an effort. I've moved the old Sony CRT into a different room. I've rearranged the furniture. Worked out the best way to hook everything up.

So, I have my topfield connecting into the component inputs.

I have my Samsung HD-860 connecting into the LCD though the HDMI (the Samsung has a DVI out and upscales to 720p).

I have set up the digital channels.

I have the sound for everything going through my BOSE lifestyle system.

I've cracked open a bottle of Coopers Dark and sat back and had a good look.

The Channel 9 HD demonstration channel is simply mindblowing. Channel 9 , ABC, SBS HD channels are also really really good. Much better than I expected. The Footy on Channel 10 (AFL / I am in Adelaide ) looks crap.

The topfield output (720p) is clearly not as sharp as the inbuilt HD tuner, but is still pretty good quality.

Playing Star Wars ep III and matrix revolutions through the Samsung/DVI out is also stunning. Brilliant colours, fantastic contrast, very little (if any) motion blurring. The detail is amazing. The first scene of Star Wars ep III when the two Jedi dive over the starship and you can see the planet below is jawdropping. It is the way that this movie is supposed to be seen.

I haven't changed any of the default settings, or even come vaugely close to understanding the remote control yet. I'm sure that may end up being a source of frustration ... but only time will tell.

So, in summary, I am currently extremely happy. I'm glad I made the decision to jump in now.

(seeing the TV for $500 discount, with 40 months interest free, also helped)

Here's why I waited:

Panasonic 50 Inch 1366 x 768 Plasma:

------------------------------------

3 months ago (on release) RRP: $5999...

2 weeks later large electrical stores (JB HiFi, Wow Sight and Sound) cut it to $5499 $5699

1 month after that they cut it to $5299

A month ago it's down to $4999

A WEEK AGO it's down to $4459

2 DAYS AGO it's $4119

TODAY I FIND THIS:

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/as...ma%20Television

...$3889

My advice - decide on the TV set / Panel / technology you want and wait until it reaches you $ amount, or what you are willing to pay.

Owen, if I may presume to step in and comment, surroundfan was of course referring to the fact that to display 1920 x 1080 material on a 1366 x 768 display, the 1920 x 1080 format video signal has to be rescaled and resampled.

I know that it is your position (expressed in discussions in this Forum on 1:1 pixel mapping) that all video should be overscanned when displayed (making scaling and resampling a virtual necessity of life) but a lot of people do not share that view, as you are aware.

It is beyond dispute that 1:1 pixel mapping enables crisp rendition of text and graphics generated by a PC at 1920 x 1080.

It is your position that 1:1 pixel mapping makes no visible difference in quality for 1920 x 1080 video material in practice, compared with overscanning, but for me the jury is still out on that question, pending availability of high bit-rate hd-dvd's to be viewed at leisure, and critically, in Australia, on 1920 x 1080 pixel displays.

Yup - while DTV may not be overly well suited to 1920x1080, surely the new HD-DVDs and BRDs will be properly mastered to allow full 1920x1080 over HDMI without the need for overscan, particularly with dot by dot technologies coming on stream in many of the new HD LCD panels.

after seeing a 1080p screen for the first time yesterday ill definately be waiting.. might even buy a nice cheap projector in the mean time to satisfy my bigger screen requirements.. but i can see the massive tech surges slowling down a bit and steadying with 1080p displays, u gotta feel sorry for ppl only last year or so who spent thousands on 480p plasmas)

I got the $4700 quote from the little Sony reseller on Rundle St in Adelaide, near the corner of Frome St on the North side.

Because they are not a "premium" Sony partner like Sony Central and Harvey Norman, they could not supply me with the set until the 1st of November.

I went with Harvey Normans because the $5000 price was still very good, and with 40 months interest free it became a no brainer.

I got a 48 month extended warranty for $325.