New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Right, after playing around a bit more, I've turned off dynamic dimming and everything else labelled 'dynamic' or 'intelligent'.

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 89

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 18

Colour: 50

Temp: Cool1

Energy Saver: Medium

WRT the grey corners, I think this is a 'designed in' defect caused by pockets of hot air building up. The grey patches stretch only as far as the unvented area at the back of the screen - there are no grey patches in the centre where there is adequate ventilation, and the grey patches are not noticeable when the telly is first switched on, only once it has warmed up. It leaves me with a bit of a quandary about what to do because I suspect that any replacement in the current series will probably have the same flaw.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, after playing around a bit more, I've turned off dynamic dimming and everything else labelled 'dynamic' or 'intelligent'.

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 89

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 18

Colour: 50

Temp: Cool1

Energy Saver: Medium

WRT the grey corners, I think this is a 'designed in' defect caused by pockets of hot air building up. The grey patches stretch only as far as the unvented area at the back of the screen - there are no grey patches in the centre where there is adequate ventilation, and the grey patches are not noticeable when the telly is first switched on, only once it has warmed up. It leaves me with a bit of a quandary about what to do because I suspect that any replacement in the current series will probably have the same flaw.

Samsung techie told me straight up "that's not right !" And they happily replaced the unit. Sadly i'm in the process of removing a rather troublesome flatmate, so the new unit is at work and yet to be set up so i'm still unsure if it'll have any similar problem.

Edited by Gutty

Samsung techie told me straight up "that's not right !" And they happily replaced the unit. Sadly i'm in the process of removing a rather troublesome flatmate, so the new unit is at work and yet to be set up so i'm still unsure if it'll have any similar problem.

I'll wait and see how you go; I'm not keen to go through three or four replacements all with the same flaw (which may be the case). Did they send a replacement set to you directly, or did you take your old one back to the store?

Unfortunately, I've just started a new job, so waiting round for techies (and replacement sets) to show is not really feasible at this stage.

I'll wait and see how you go; I'm not keen to go through three or four replacements all with the same flaw (which may be the case). Did they send a replacement set to you directly, or did you take your old one back to the store?

Unfortunately, I've just started a new job, so waiting round for techies (and replacement sets) to show is not really feasible at this stage.

I took my old one back to the store for replacement.

Will be set up thursday, if not sooner. I'll be sure to let you know.

Not sure how bad your grey patches are....but i can tell you they just about drove me nuts the first night of veiwing. If it's "normal" for these units, next time i'll be getting my money back or something different !

surroundfan, Gutty any chance one can see this fault via digital photo???

is it only noticeable when dark sceans are on or also in full colour and and any mode, analogue and Dtv??

I no longer have the unit so a photo is out of the question. It was most noticable on a dark screen, but also could be seen on many coloured screens. For example, when the techie came i had ten news(HD) on with a blue background and he spotted my issue instantly. It was also prominant with DVDs.....

So i took my new unit home and set it up last night. You guys wanna here the good or bad first ? :D

Set it up, as per usual. Picture this time around was a great improvment. Still blacks were not black, but i kind of expect that from an LCD.

Though after 3-4 hours of use, it decided to start turning itself on and off every few minutes. Picture would cut out, as would the sound, then a couple of seconds later it would come back to life.

Needless to say i'm less than impressed ! :blink: I packed the unit back into it's box and plan on returning it AGAIN today. Still undecided as to whether or not i'll take another Samsung or try for a refund.....

Not happy Jan !!!

Damn Gutty that's some seriously bad luck. I'd be livid if I were in your shoes!!

You're telling me ! Am OK today, but you should have seen me last night.... :blink::D:P

Still undecided as to whether or not i'll take another Samsung or try for a refund.....

Have been offered a refund, another Samsung unit, or a good deal on basicly anything else i'd like to try.

Any R Series owners, or anyone for that matter, like to have some input into this decision ? I really don't know what to do. :P

Damn! That's not good. Did your new screen have the grey corners though?

I would be giving them one more chance. It seems that they are capable of making decent ones. It's just that you (and I) have not struck them yet.

(Also, as an aside because it was raised earlier in the thread, for Pioneer DVD owners, the remote code is 143).

Gutty I would go one more round... I was so lucky, I bought mine site unsean with only the knowelage gained from the forum and sifting trough the bullsh..... from sales people. I waited 3 weeks for mine and no worries. I do recall someone else having the same problem with the unit going on and off, their new unit was fine.... I have noticed when dynamic dimming is off the screen is not as dark when one first turns the screen on or when you switch to Dradio, but I do not see anything like what you describe even when full colour screen is going... I wish we could have seen a photo....

Good luck and keep us posted...

Damn! That's not good. Did your new screen have the grey corners though?

Nope....no grey corners at all. Pic was fine.....when it stayed on.... :blink:

Looking into a new amp to go with this TV,(yes i'm giving Samsung one more go). Can anyone tell me if the sammy supports HDCP ?

Looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600B.....but a little confused with all this HDMI and HDCP business.

Good luck and keep us posted...

thanks...and will do !

... Can anyone tell me if the sammy supports HDCP ?

It does indeed on its HDMI input.

(HDMI is the type of input. HDCP - High definition Digital Content Protection is the encryption standard. HDMI generally has HDCP. DVI usually (but not always) has HDCP. VGA and other analog video formats don't.)

You're telling me ! Am OK today, but you should have seen me last night.... :blink::D:P

Have been offered a refund, another Samsung unit, or a good deal on basicly anything else i'd like to try.

Any R Series owners, or anyone for that matter, like to have some input into this decision ? I really don't know what to do. :P

well u would be entitled to go with something else - however i am wondering if there is something up with your situation ie your power supply eg r u in an area that has had power supply issues, lighting etc? r u using a surge proctector and is your wiriing in good nick? it defines probability tjhat u have been that unlucky.... not impossible but it should be enough to make u suspicious?

Have a look at the new 32" Pana TX-32LXD600A with inbuilt tuner. It has a better IPS panel, better speakers (6 total!) and SD card slot. Forum member RabidWolve claims that it can be had for $2000, at that price you'd be stupid to buy the inferior 32" Sammy LA32R71BDX.

:P

I bought the 40" version of the samsung on the weekend and I'm very happy with my purchase. Shops are clearing them for $3800 but I was able to pick it up for $2900 after some haggling.

I know its not 1080p but at the price its just a stopgap until I get a laser or sed tv (or whatever's good) in 5 years time.

My computer displays nicely on it and I'm looking forward to completing the HTPC. The unit is pretty stylish looking as well.

Well, i set my third unit up last night. And guess what......

It works just fine. :D Picture is great with no grey patches, stays on when i want it to stay on.....so far so good.

While i was exchanging it yesterday i picked up a Yamaha RX-V1600B to go with it as my old Sony STR-GX900ES just wasn't up to the task any longer. It's now been moved out back to the sunroom and used purely for music which it handles just fine.

So for all my hassles with the Sammy, they've thrown in a free Samsung VP-D361I Vid Camera, and did me my new Yammy amp for $1300 which i know isn't all that low, but it is cheaper than i could find it anywhere else.

I did have the option of taking home a 40" Sony LCD as a straight swap(display model). Lets hope i'm not kicking myself over that one in the near future :blink:

Thanks again for all the input and advice guys !! Much appreciated.

Gutty, WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!

can you tell us the software version you have on yours, thanks

:blink: Buggered if i know.

Where does it tell me ? Happy to check it out for you, but i'm a bit of a newbie to all this stuff. Most my mates think i'm great for being able to set up there analog systems(video, audio in/outs...woohoo :D )......Maybe i'm getting old..... :P

Fire up the service menu Gutty... (My one is 1007)

I spoke to Samsung earlier today and they advised me to take it back and swap it out under Samsung's DOA policy. I rang the store and they have some in stock. Time to rope my brother into driving me and TV back to the store...

The news that you've had success with TV number three is very encouraging Gutty. I'm hoping I'll achieve it with TV number two...

No Not old..... in the dmenu, navigate to systems, and product info it will tell you. have a fiddle....

my software version is T_CANBDAUO-1005,

Surroundfan - makes you wonder what the difference in software numbers are and where one can get updates... they are sapose to be over the DTV waves??? not heard of one being released yet... anyone???

No Not old..... in the dmenu, navigate to systems, and product info it will tell you. have a fiddle....

my software version is T_CANBDAUO-1005,

Surroundfan - makes you wonder what the difference in software numbers are and where one can get updates... they are sapose to be over the DTV waves??? not heard of one being released yet... anyone???

Yeah no worries i'm sure i can manage that. Only thing is you'll have to wait until monday. I'm away from my new gear tonight and for the weekend..... :blink:

Fire up the service menu Gutty... (My one is 1007)

I spoke to Samsung earlier today and they advised me to take it back and swap it out under Samsung's DOA policy. I rang the store and they have some in stock. Time to rope my brother into driving me and TV back to the store...

The news that you've had success with TV number three is very encouraging Gutty. I'm hoping I'll achieve it with TV number two...

Hope it doesn't take you 3 to get it right :D