The decision has been made…

jrisles by coherence I mean the ability of the speaker to speak "as one" and not hear each individual driver, or hear obvious crossover points, or hear differences in sound character between each driver.

Nicely explained thank you.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day,

Congratualtions Minty ... another convert to active speakers! The Gammas look sensational, and (I bet) sound even better, according to the specifications and reviews.

Thanks Proft, your comments about the bass are a concern. I'm not aloud to spend any more money on other toys. :)

Interestingly there's a post from WarwickF recommending the ADAM Delta bookshelf + subs over the Gamma, if you want to use subs. Otherwise the ADAM Gammas should be more than suitable without subs.

Now comes the waiting and the anticipation and the mounting excitement, a feeling I know all too well as I wait for my new active speakers.

--Geoff

Thanks HG, also for the links.

It's funny I'm not all that excited at the moment. I guess as time goes on things may change. I've been contemplating where to put them, even considered putting some power points in the floor behind the speakers plus a line level cable to each. The issue with this is if I decide to move the speakers. So I'll wait to get them setup and then consider my options.

Congratulations on your new speakers also. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of them.

Nicely explained thank you.

Jrisles Keith often also uses the term when discussing my posts on SNA - ie Andythiing has never made a coherent post on anythiing!!!:)

I’d have liked to have got some of their bigger cousins, but two things came into play; one was money, or lack thereof, and the second I feel the size of these will be more than enough for my room and listening pleasure.

Out of curiosity Minty .. what is the size of your listening room?

What I meant was if the listening chair is in front of the HT chairs, does it have its own side surrounds?

Jeff

No it doesn't. The 2ch listening chair gets moved out of the way when using the room for HT. This is why I opted for the chair I did for 2ch listening.

I have bought 2 pairs of speakers unheard. Vaf DC-7 & Jamo Cornet 145.

I believe you get used to speakers after a short while, and couldn't be

bothered with all the auditioning that some do. On both occasions I have

not been dissapointed, and have just ordered a 3rd pair, ATC SCM 11, can't wait to get em.

Of course I check a few customer reviews and see what the general vibe is,

and then make a decision. When I purchase an amp I never listen to it.

I just buy based on the power and number of channels I need.

If I was buying at the price level Spearmint has I would definitely be listening. But sometimes it's not possible eg when buying on eBay etc. Also sometimes there is good info available eg about the Lenehan ML-1's with comparisons against similar speakers. However most press reviews are too non-specific to decide I feel; one has to really read them carefully to et anything solid from them.

Jeff

JeffK, I agree with you about press reviews, 99% of them are glowing and everything is better than everything else until the next review comes along. I bought my ADAMs unheard as there weren't any in Australia. I think though it always helps if you know somebody who has heard them and it's someone whose ear you trust.

I wasn't disappointed.

I have bought 2 pairs of speakers unheard. Vaf DC-7 & Jamo Cornet 145.

I believe you get used to speakers after a short while, and couldn't be

bothered with all the auditioning that some do. On both occasions I have

not been dissapointed, and have just ordered a 3rd pair, ATC SCM 11, can't wait to get em.

Of course I check a few customer reviews and see what the general vibe is,

and then make a decision. When I purchase an amp I never listen to it.

I just buy based on the power and number of channels I need.

I believe you could be right Dezza, many of us become so used to what we listen to that we fail to hear many of the issues that others hear when they listen to our systems. Probably like those that live next to a major road, or railway tracks that no longer consciously hear the traffic noises.

If I was buying at the price level Spearmint has I would definitely be listening. But sometimes it's not possible eg when buying on eBay etc. Also sometimes there is good info available eg about the Lenehan ML-1's with comparisons against similar speakers. However most press reviews are too non-specific to decide I feel; one has to really read them carefully to et anything solid from them.

Jeff

Some good points JeffK, and I do agree with your thoughts.

Congratulations Minty, way to go! I must admit that I was a little bemused about your voyage through loudspeaker land, however I think you have now landed a knockout.

I can totally understand you purchasing these without specific auditioning. Particularly given the well established overseas opinions and the comments by the SNA Adam owners and listeners. It is the sort of thing I have also done and very seldom have had regrets. The other end of the purchasing spectrum, where there is extensive testing and evaluating tends to destroy the fun of upgrading for me. A personal observation, of course, not necessarily a judgement on how others should do things.

The Mint household is a very lucky one.

:)

Jrisles Keith often also uses the term when discussing my posts on SNA - ie Andythiing has never made a coherent post on anythiing!!!:)

I cannot believe that Keith could be so cruel. Not our Keithy...

Actually, I think that a lot of your collecting posts have been quite inspirational and worthy of contemplation on the underlying worth of various things.

But back to the Adams. Surely there must be a pair abandoned at a tip somewhere. To go where no Adams have gone before...

Search Andything, redouble the search...

Wow, Mr Mint....you don't muck around, do you?

And I would've guessed a different direction for this big upgrade. There's a lot of tasty stuff out there at present, but glad to see there's no "analysis paralysis" in the Spearmint household - just decisive action:cool:

Anyway, judging by the sound of your speakers' big brothers at Mondies, it's extremely unlikely you'll be disappointed by your choice. I'll be especially interested in how you like them as the delta's are at about the level I'd go for if I went down the Adam track.

Hope you've got a permanent grin on your face after you get them set up and can start listening.

Cheers

Tony

BTW, I think they look gorgeous....trust the sound wil be similar.