Thinking of buying LG 42PX3RV OR LG 42PX4DV HELP PLEASE.

Guest loco75

Hi i'm thinking of buying LG 42PX3RV OR LG 42PX4DV

the LG 42PX3RV is going for $2,299.00

and the LG 42PX4DV is going for $2,599.00

do u guys think these are good prices?

it will only be used in my games room for DVD's and Playstation & Xbox Games.

maybe even foxtel.

but i still want a good pic.

do i need to buy a Digital set top box?

any help would be great.

Thank you

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi loco,

Probably a good idea you posted as there are a few things you should consider before purchasing these units:

1) I can't find any mention of these units in Oz yet - Are you sure you can actually buy one?

2) Both these units appear to be SD resoulution (Beware the HD Ready tag). In pixel terms they're 852x480 - so in only just above your standard PC 640x480 setup. This is probably fine for (older) consoles and gaming in general though.

3) The more expensive unit is basically the same as the cheaper one but has an inbuilt SD digital tuner. So you'd have to by a STB for the cheaper unit. Since SD STBs are about $100-200 in Oz the $300 difference would seem overpriced (as is usually the case with 'in built tuners'. Note that units with inbuilt tuners also tend not to be able to output the digital signal to other units (say a DVD Recorder or VCR) whereas an external STB can send the signal to both the TV and recorder.

4) I'd strongly recommend viewing the picture in person before buying.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

hI PETER

Checkout this ebay website it has the plasmas there.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZvon_basQQhtZ-1

thank you

Hi loco,

Probably a good idea you posted as there are a few things you should consider before purchasing these units:

1) I can't find any mention of these units in Oz yet - Are you sure you can actually buy one?

2) Both these units appear to be SD resoulution (Beware the HD Ready tag). In pixel terms they're 852x480 - so in only just above your standard PC 640x480 setup. This is probably fine for (older) consoles and gaming in general though.

3) The more expensive unit is basically the same as the cheaper one but has an inbuilt SD digital tuner. So you'd have to by a STB for the cheaper unit. Since SD STBs are about $100-200 in Oz the $300 difference would seem overpriced (as is usually the case with 'in built tuners'. Note that units with inbuilt tuners also tend not to be able to output the digital signal to other units (say a DVD Recorder or VCR) whereas an external STB can send the signal to both the TV and recorder.

4) I'd strongly recommend viewing the picture in person before buying.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

maybe even foxtel.

any help would be great.

Thank you

I have the 4DV, which has a built in HD and SD tuner, I dont think the 3RV does, so you will have add the

price of that on.

The particular set I bought is EXCELLENT, allows me to view all the transmitted channels including HD,

althought the PQ is good in both SD and HD, at three metres you will not be able to tell the difference

between the SD and HD resolutions.

I bought a LG 9921P upscaling DVD player, and paired up with the 4DV give great results. :blink:

Sorry locco, I can't get to EBay sites. Please don't take my posts as suggesting to buy or not buy the units. Just providing some information that you can look into to make a more informed decision. :blink:

Have you done a search yet on these sites - quite a lot of posts on these units. Surprised that the inbuilt tuner is actually HD - The PQ improvement on this panel would be marginal in most cases. However I wouldn't say no to it if its offered.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Sorry locco, I can't get to EBay sites. Please don't take my posts as suggesting to buy or not buy the units. Just providing some information that you can look into to make a more informed decision. :blink:

Have you done a search yet on these sites - quite a lot of posts on these units. Surprised that the inbuilt tuner is actually HD - The PQ improvement on this panel would be marginal in most cases. However I wouldn't say no to it if its offered.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Being able to receive HD channels is an advantage, some of the time they are transmitting other

programs, not available on SD, the PQ is slightly better than the SD signals.

In my area I get an additional 5 channels. :P

Both have the same panel, but I'd go with the 3RV and then buy an separate

HD box cos then you can record from it. Whereas no digital recording is possible from

the 4RV.

And an HD box still looks noticeably better than an SD one on an SD panel,

even though in most cases it shouldn't.

Oh and Peter these models have been around for at least 6 months.

Yep, I quite foolishly relied on the LG website for my inital post - nada :blink:

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Peter, Not sure what LG site you are looking at but www.lge.com.au has both of the models that is being discussed in this thread.

The 4DV model has been there for many months. The 3RV model is newer but has been there for a few weeks I'm guessing. I assume this will replace the 3RVC model.

Mossy

maybe even foxtel.

any help would be great.

Thank you

Getting the 42PX4DV you'll get one of the easiest to use plasmas out there, the only downside is that it won't output tv or sound through the analogue outputs, thats really only important if you intend to record digital. Seriously if you want to record digital get the PX4 and get yourself a cheap PVR, the Topfield TF4400 or the 80gb Strong. Both can be had for around the $600-700 mark if I remember correctly (I've been on leave from work for a week or so I can't remember prices, its such as distant memory) One of the guys I work with got the TF4400 (topfield) and he loves it.

Running an SD box into an SD plasma only yields an OK picture in most cases, HD signals running into SD plasmas looks worlds better, thats why LG stuck a HD tuner in the PX4.

Other alternative, wait till LG brings out their HD pvr and get the PX3.

Peter, Not sure what LG site you are looking at but www.lge.com.au has both of the models that is being discussed in this thread.

Not that it really interests anyone :blink: but I did a search on the model (on the lg site) which didn't return anything and then navigated through the menus but went too quickly - I ended up in HD Plasma instead of just Plasma - my (somewhat ironic) mistake. Still interested to hear about the 'extra' content on HD TV though.

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

The 4DV model has been there for many months. The 3RV model is newer but has been there for a few weeks I'm guessing. I assume this will replace the 3RVC model.

Mossy

To the best my knowledge the 3RV is an older model plasma without the built in tuner.

ABC HD runs programs different to the ABC SD at times, the same applies to SBS, and I

believe 7,9, 10 HD transmissions, sometimes. :blink:

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=13

Edited by colindale

Hi colinade,

HD/SD etc are all broadcast in a single data stream. Its currently 'illegal' for the content to diverge (called multichannelling). The link you providedis to the additional (IMO mostly useless) channels that are broadcast in some regions. These are all accessible by both SD and HD STBs.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I've read this here many times, so I guess it's true, but I'd love to know the technical reason why an HD signal looks better than an SD signal on an SD panel.
Wishfull thinking? :blink: Guess you won't know until you spend the money on a HD STB and a SD panel. Its generally conceeded its only a marinal 'improvement' - 10%?

Rgeards

Peter Gillespie

Guest stump_1100

I've got a 3RV and am quite happy with it. Pluscorp have a special on these - $1799 plus delivery for a "refurbished" Plasma. Not a bad deal.

Hi colinade,

HD/SD etc are all broadcast in a single data stream. Its currently 'illegal' for the content to diverge (called multichannelling). The link you providedis to the additional (IMO mostly useless) channels that are broadcast in some regions. These are all accessible by both SD and HD STBs.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Peter,

What Plasma have you got?.

Wishfull thinking? :P Guess you won't know until you spend the money on a HD STB and a SD panel. Its generally conceeded its only a marinal 'improvement' - 10%?

Rgeards

Peter Gillespie

The 42PX4DV has a HD and SD tuner built in to the plasma. :blink:

Hi Peter,What Plasma have you got?.

The 42PX4DV has a HD and SD tuner built in to the plasma. :blink:

Hi Colin,

I haven't 'bought into' the plasma/lcd world yet. I did my 'once every 7 or so years' upgrade of my TV about a year ago. At that time I judged both LCD and Plasma were still fairly WIP and that to get a 'decent' panel (esp HD) you'd have to shell out several thousand (plus). At the time quality CRTs were crashing in price and I'd suggest (contentiously) still provide the best PQ for a given $. If you're in the market and aren't worried about getting a 'slimline' model I would definately recommend at least considering a got CRT still. However price and performance wise, both LCD and PLasmas have improved considerably.

So I grabbed a top of the line 76 (true) HiDef CRT for around $1400 - The SO felt the 86 was too big so never really thought I could get a bigger panel past her :P . To date its only been used to watch SD though due to the Topfield 5000. FYI, the CRT is the Rank Arena (no longer available but the similar Palsonic is still around)

Definately would differ to your eyeball experience of the PQ of this display, I (and you) mentioned that HD PQ improvement would be marginal on this set over a few metres away. Do you find that? Do you generally just watch the SD or HD channels? or do you just flick around on both? As i mentioned i wouldn't say no to an inbuit HD tuner if it didn't cost much extra.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

To the best my knowledge the 3RV is an older model plasma without the built in tuner.

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=13

I check the LG site regularly and have never seen the 3RV model there before and have never yet to see it in the shops. The 3RV model is distinctively different from the 3RVC and 2RV as it appears to have a black border instead of the others all Silver. They all appear to be very similar units though as the manual you download for the 3RV model does all the models 3RVC and 2RV.

The reason why I have recently been checking the site is because I originally had the 42PX10 model, had problems and they replaced it with the 2RV, now having problems again and LG have decided to give me to 42PX5D. I was asking for a refund but have decided to accept this as a last try with LG. I believe the 5D has a completely different internal screen than the other two cheaper models which I have had image problems with.

Mossy

The 42PX5D is the HD panel with inbuilt HD Tuner. So the next step up in range from the 42PX4D.

The 42PX3RV has been released for the best part of 1 month now. Shops should have them in stock. But yeah, basically the same as the 42PX3RVC and 42PX2RV.

But, in reference to the original question, if this panel would be used for gaming, DVD's and Foxtel, then there is no need for the in built tuner, but in saying that, the 42PX4 is not that much more than the 42PX3. And of course, you should see the range of panels out there before making your decision...

Brazzwald

I've read this here many times, so I guess it's true, but I'd love to know the technical reason why an HD signal looks better than an SD signal on an SD panel.

I'm not sure why it's that hard to understand. HD streams have a higher bitrate, meaning the image quality will be of a higher standard. Less artifacts, darker blacks, more detailed, etc. Just because it's running at the same resolution as the SD signal, doesn't mean it won't look better.

Edited by Zoltrix

I'm not sure why it's that hard to understand. HD streams have a higher bitrate, meaning the image quality will be of a higher standard. Less artifacts, darker blacks, more detailed, etc. Just because it's running at the same resolution as the SD signal, doesn't mean it won't look better.

This suggests mis-understanding. Its running at a higher bitrate but the 'improvement' in PQ from HD comes from showing more 'dots' in the same space as SD.

OR

you can scale up the picture (ie have a bigger TV) and end up with a similar effective resolution as SD but in a piture that's 'twice' the size.

Black in SD is Black in HD.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

It actually suggests seeing it with my own two eyes, and being able to make concrete observations.

A lot of people like to comment in terms of what they think they know, without actually seeing it in practice. Which is fine in some cases, but not always.

I myself have seen the same shows broadcast in HD and SD on an SD plasma and switched between the two, and have seen the difference in quality.

So how can someone who hasn't seen this, say there is no difference? :blink:

Ahh, I hate having to try back up what I said earlier :blink:

I'll dodge the issue a bit by responding that the post was "What technical reason is there that HD looks better then SD on a SD panel?" (and I have always agreed that there is an observable, though marginal, improvement (not 'no difference')) - My only caution to having such a set up is that for most people the improvement is not worth the extra $$ - price reductions continue to make this less of an issue.

Apart from reffering to bitrate you've lapsed back into "We'll it just does, cause I can see its better".

Happy to conceed you can see a difference, I just don't think that 'bitrate' is a valid explanation. To be honest I was surprised none of the HD brigade tried to answer this pretty good question in the last week.

Regards

Peter Gillespie