Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Alexanderb47

Ok thx for your comment....my HD recorder is only analogue so if I upgrade to a HD digital recorder Panasonic DMR EX 77, won't I be able to record digital signals? And won't that be a better picture?

As for upscaling, does the panel automatically upscale DVD's? Even tho its only an analogue player?

Forgive my ignorance - I guess I'm wondering if I need to upgrade to the Ex 77?

Regards

Alexander

Why do you want a BluRay recorder ?

There is nothing on FTA or Foxtel worth recording that is transmitted in 1080 ?

Your panel upscales already to 1080.

Doesn't the DMREX77 only receive and record SD digital signals? Pretty sure anything HD will only record to PVR, unless you build your own Home Theatre PC... just re-read your comments, i spose when you say HD you mean Hard Drive, not High Def... need to be careful in here, if your saying HD in the TV section everyone thinks High Def, if you mean Hard Drive, say HDD (Hard Disk Drive...) ;)

As for the Panasonic 1080p chip in their plasma, from memory this only happened if the signal was inputted via HDMI. If I'm not mistaken most DVD players that have HDMI output will already upscale the DVD playback to 1080, so the 1080 chip will upscale inputs via HDMI to 1080p, but will then downscale to suit the native resolution of the panel...

This is all my thoughts from what I'm aware guys, so don't flame me too much if I'm wrong.

Anyway guys, lets get back to some prices. I also saw the Good Guys add for $1999 less for cash on the TH50PX70A in their latest catalogue for the Australia Day weekend.

Brazzwald

i have a dell laptop which has a bluray burner. have never used it to burn bluray discs, and wouldn't even know where to buy blank bluray discs!

but nice to know that i can create 50gb backups if i need to...

I've got a 1 TB portable HD for backups and fully rewritable.

I don't see the point in large format writable discs - old technology unless you are into copying ;)

As for prices, what surprises me are the number of stores still listing the PX70A 50 above $2500 ! Has no one told them ?

Edited by Capizzi

Ok so rang up my API rep and they got back to me saying that they couldnt even come close to the PZ700A price of $2085. Same thing about the 42PX70A, however they were able to to say that I should be able to get DSE down to $1900 on the 50PX70A so atleast thats something.

Got another question that I only thought of today, has anyone managed to use a staff discount to get the deals down even further? So if you work for safeway or have woolworth shares couldnt you use the discount card on any purchase at DSE? So I guess what Im saying is that technically could you negotiate the price to whatever lets for arguments sake say $2400 for the pz700a + warranty + delv could you then whip out the 5% discount card and get that down to $2280 cause that would be a deal.

Anyway looks like the CFO (missus) has appoved the purchase of this TV which is news in itself so hopefully by Australia day this should be on the way to my place. Cheers and thanks to everyone for their help and info

Ok so rang up my API rep and they got back to me saying that they couldnt even come close to the PZ700A price of $2085. Same thing about the 42PX70A, however they were able to to say that I should be able to get DSE down to $1900 on the 50PX70A so atleast thats something.

Got another question that I only thought of today, has anyone managed to use a staff discount to get the deals down even further? So if you work for safeway or have woolworth shares couldnt you use the discount card on any purchase at DSE? So I guess what Im saying is that technically could you negotiate the price to whatever lets for arguments sake say $2400 for the pz700a + warranty + delv could you then whip out the 5% discount card and get that down to $2280 cause that would be a deal.

Anyway looks like the CFO (missus) has appoved the purchase of this TV which is news in itself so hopefully by Australia day this should be on the way to my place. Cheers and thanks to everyone for their help and info

hey ndiddy, im pretty sure a negotiated price overrides the use of a staff discount card.. its one or the other i guess.. where i work [big retailer] we can use either, usually whichever works out cheaper :P

Anyway guys, lets get back to some prices. I also saw the Good Guys add for $1999 less for cash on the TH50PX70A in their latest catalogue for the Australia Day weekend.

I cant seem to find the $1999 price in their online Aust Day Catalogue...they do have it for $2389 'less for cash', with a 15% mark down you could get it for $2000...is that what you mean?

Compare this to the Oct 30-Nov 25th Catalogue of 2007 and it was priced $3299 'less for cash.

A big price difference from 2 months ago!

Is it a good TV nonetheless for $2000?

Gaso

hey ndiddy, im pretty sure a negotiated price overrides the use of a staff discount card.. its one or the other i guess.. where i work [big retailer] we can use either, usually whichever works out cheaper :P

Ah ok fair enough. I just got off the phone to a mate who used to work for one of the big retailers as well and she was saying that it really is a grey area atleast where she worked. So I'm going to try and take her in with me when I give this a shot on the weekend and see if any mates rates are possible.

I cant seem to find the $1999 price in their online Aust Day Catalogue...they do have it for $2389 'less for cash', with a 15% mark down you could get it for $2000...is that what you mean?

Compare this to the Oct 30-Nov 25th Catalogue of 2007 and it was priced $3299 'less for cash.

Gaso

It's a good TV at $3299, only the price has changed !

Gaso

$1999 in the Good Guys catalog infront of me, Australia Day Long Weekend Sale on, Brisbane.

Guest webwombat
$1999 in the Good Guys catalog infront of me, Australia Day Long Weekend Sale on, Brisbane.

sweet under the $2000 psychological barrier :)

I've found the 50" $1999 Good Guys ad in the Logan West Leader - it can be found online at the questnews web-site (go to Logan West Leader tab on the right, and then click on the paper to view the pages, go to the top right corner to turn the pages and go to page 7)

I already purchased mine from Good Guys a few weeks ago for $2200, so thought I would try their "See a competitor advertise it cheaper within 30 days and we'll refund 120% of the difference" - they said no as they are not a competitor to their own company...makes sense.

Let me know if someone else advertises it cheaper - I've still got a week to go before 30 days runs out!!

Guest webwombat
I've found the 50" $1999 Good Guys ad in the Logan West Leader - it can be found online at the questnews web-site (go to Logan West Leader tab on the right, and then click on the paper to view the pages, go to the top right corner to turn the pages and go to page 7)

I already purchased mine from Good Guys a few weeks ago for $2200, so thought I would try their "See a competitor advertise it cheaper within 30 days and we'll refund 120% of the difference" - they said no as they are not a competitor to their own company...makes sense.

Let me know if someone else advertises it cheaper - I've still got a week to go before 30 days runs out!!

anyone know what are the new additions or features for the 2008 model?

Thats a bit rough. I'm not sure if it was in this forum or not but someone was in exactly the same position as you and returned their goods within the allowable period and then re-bought the same TV at the lower price. May be worth a fight.

Got the PX 50 for $2100 at a Retravision in northern Vic. Has a good rep with back up service so I paid up the extra $100 instead of GG based on this rep.

Anyway, the set up of everything went heaps better than when I had the misfortune of setting up an LG 12 months ago.

Can anyone answer me this...does the PQ improve within those first few hours of set up. By about the fourth or fifth hour the PQ was 25% better than when we first turned it on.???

We played a standard DVD on a standard DVD player of Star Wars A New Hope and excuse me for saying it, but I could not pick up much diff. b/w the BluRay PQ that I had been looking at all day. We are sitting back about 3m and the blacks looked great, no motion blur and the digital detail looks sensational. Put in Saving Pte Ryan and was blown away again!

Nup, for the price very happy, and considering these were $3299 12 weeks ago!

gaso

was not interested in plasma after watching my brother set up and run his new 42px70a. there was a small ripple effect in the centre of the screen I have not seen it since (set up Dec 28) BUT after reading on this forum about all the problems with the various LCD's have gone back to looking at plasmas.

was this problem normal would it go away after run in perod I have just seen the 42px70a listed at Myers adelaide for

$1649 did not ask the salesperson if could discount more. Is this a good price

Bob

They had it in stock and could deliver right away (we had to wait a week though so we could get it delivered on a weekend).

One more question Krissy - I can't remember if you got the 4 year extended warranty or the 5 year extended warranty for $250. so all up including the Panasonic 1 year warranty it was 5 or 6 years in total?

If you can't tell I'm getting all my info ready for the purchase tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight :)

I am hoping to get a 50 inch HD Plasma and based on comments here the Panasonic for $2,000 seems a good deal. My wife, however, thinks the Samsung similar spec model is much prettier for not much more money - and as a piece of furniture she is right.

What makes you guys hot for the Panasonic with 1 year warranty over the Samsung with 2 years making then about the same price?

From a Newb....