Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

If anyone is interested in a 50" 700A in adelaide, Truscotts have plenty of them available still. I just got one for $3100. Pretty happy with that price. Speak to Scott at Melrose Park store. He said they have 50 in stock....that was Monday. But they don't have them on display (Melrose Park anyway) so have a look elsewhere 1st if you need to inspect prior to purchase.

The following Aust site is selling the 42 inch model. So good chance they are releasing it. Not sure why you would want to buy one though.

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/asps/type1.asp

My friend at HN informed me the Panasonic Rep has said the 42" PZ700 will released in October. He also said it is in their system with a $3999 RRP already.

As I said before, the reason why I want one is that a 50" is too large for my bedroom.

And can someone tell me what the Panasonic Tech's review had to say.

Thanks guys.

Touche. :D

Seriously, is it worth it to buy this TV?

you need to consider how far you will be viewing the screen from, as I read the distance charts you need to be 1.8metre's from the screen (42inch 1920x1080 res).

see here http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=16325

Edited by cooksta

you need to consider how far you will be viewing the screen from, as I read the distance charts you need to be 1.8metre's from the screen (42inch 1920x1080 res).

see here http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=16325

1.8M is just about spot on for my viewing distance. It may be a little further when I'm in bed, but sitting at my CPU, it is almost exact.

I will be looking at a Panasonic Plasma as my neigbour bought a 42PX70A for $2,020 from The Good Guys. They got the price down from $2,200 but I don't know if this is a good deal or not. I'd like to look into a DMR-EX77 (160gb) so perhaps a 7A will be best for us? Also is the 7A a Chinese built model and the 70A a Japanese built?

scroll up thru older posts to see other prices... I got mine (42PX70A) from JB for $1980 and others have got it from elsewhere for less! :rolleyes:

scroll up thru older posts to see other prices... I got mine (42PX70A) from JB for $1980 and others have got it from elsewhere for less! :rolleyes:

Thanks David. I'll take a look through and see what I can find.

If I can score one at under $2,000 I'll be very happy!

PS. I notice that 50" panels have a true widescreen resolution (1366x768?) but 42" have 1024x768 which is a 4:3 resolution. What does that mean for wiring up a laptop and surfing the net or watching movies?

Thanks David. I'll take a look through and see what I can find.

If I can score one at under $2,000 I'll be very happy!

PS. I notice that 50" panels have a true widescreen resolution (1366x768?) but 42" have 1024x768 which is a 4:3 resolution. What does that mean for wiring up a laptop and surfing the net or watching movies?

If you use the panel's native resolution, your desktop will be stretched, since the panel has to use rectangular pixels to achieve the 16:9 ratio with a 4:3 resolution. If you use a widescreen resolution (like 1280x720) it will look correct, but you may lose the edges of your desktop due to overscan. I'm not sure whether the panasonic panels have the option to reduce or disable overscanning.

If you use the panel's native resolution, your desktop will be stretched, since the panel has to use rectangular pixels to achieve the 16:9 ratio with a 4:3 resolution. If you use a widescreen resolution (like 1280x720) it will look correct, but you may lose the edges of your desktop due to overscan. I'm not sure whether the panasonic panels have the option to reduce or disable overscanning.

Ah ok then. I don't want to use it as a monitor due to overburn issues but I just wanted to know if I should consider an LCD if I want to watch movies from a laptop.

Ah ok then. I don't want to use it as a monitor due to overburn issues but I just wanted to know if I should consider an LCD if I want to watch movies from a laptop.

Okay, if you're watching movies, that won't be a problem. Overscan is simply where the panel cuts of the edges of the picture a bit - all tv and most movies are formatted with the assumption that this will occur (often there's junk information at the edges of the picture that you're not meant to see). Don't get this confused with the problem of 'burn in' they are not even slightly related. Watching films from a laptop shouldn't put you at risk of burn-in any more than leaving a dvd player on a menu for a long time would. The only reason I mentioned overscan was that if you're planning on using it as a monitor for things like web surfing, it can result in you not being able to see the task bar. My opinion is that if you only want it for watching video - plasma will generally get you better picture quality. if you want to use the screen as a monitor, then lcd might be a better option - there are plenty of arguments about which is better. Try searching the forum for 'overscan' or 'burn in' - that way you should find more info so that you can understand the issues better.

In which case you would have been right :) I had a look at the DSE site. It says that the offer at $1648 ends today, so if you want it at that price you'll have to act pretty quickly. Although, given that they've offered it at that price now, they might be willing to go down to that again.

Bought the 7A at DSE power house $1648 at last Sunday, everything is good

You would have to push hard and that would be without additional warranty

push hard is an understatement...

anything around 2k is a decent deal on the px70...

if you want to be cheap, buy the 7a, its the same picture quality/panel, just -1hdmi port

Yeah, I was quite keen on the 7A when I saw it at JB today. How much should I expect to pay for the 42" model + an extended warranty? I see that DSE had it on special for $1648, though that offer has since expired.

Edited by brett174

It has a digital tuner. I really cant see how they justify such a price difference for a single HDMI port and a slight change in styling. I guess your are paying for the "made in Japan" label.

Damn! I think I just found our new TV (unless the wife wants a Playstation 3 any time soon...)

It has a digital tuner. I really cant see how they justify such a price difference for a single HDMI port and a slight change in styling. I guess your are paying for the "made in Japan" label.

PX70 and PX7 are both made in China these days. Only floor stock of the PX70 still made in Japan if you can find them, but who would want floor stock!