Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

The HN salesman tried the "we're probably going to raise the price because we're sold out but if you order it now I'll honour the ticket price" line. Then he tried to convince me that the Panasonic SD model was just as good and much cheaper.

I left without ordering one. Surely there will be some of these in stock elsewhere. Which makes me think I should have taken a photo of the ticket price with my phone to use as a bargaining tool.

Looks like your $3574 is the new benchmark people should be using on the 42PV500A, even if HN are probably only putting it up as a spoiler for other retailers.

I would not tell the competition they were quoting against HN if HN has no stock. :blink:

I was only mildly pressured to reveal my $3700 source/bargaining tool. I said "have a guess" and got some clues as to who their main competition was. I was subsequently quoted $3600, which I took. That was three weeks ago. No bundled purchases, no delivery. Took only the additional 4 years warranty at $295. Very happy with the deal and the panel.

Looks like your $3574 is the new benchmark people should be using on the 42PV500A, even if HN are probably only putting it up as a spoiler for other retailers.

I would not tell the competition they were quoting against HN if HN has no stock. :blink:

I was only mildly pressured to reveal my $3700 source/bargaining tool. I said "have a guess" and got some clues as to who their main competition was. I was subsequently quoted $3600, which I took. That was three weeks ago. No bundled purchases, no delivery. Took only the additional 4 years warranty at $295. Very happy with the deal and the panel.

I was qouted $3500 for the TV, but $795 for the additional warranty of 4 years. What does your warranty cover RJM and who is it through. The guy reckons that they can't discount the warranty. He is a mate so i sought of believe him. It just sounds like a lot for an additional warranty!

$3500 for the 42 inch thats a bargain compared to 12 months ago.... What is the forecast for the price in 12 mths time?

well given its dropped about 40-50% over that time another 12 months time maybe another 20-40% off. $2000-$2800 ?

to be honest though can't see how it can get any cheaper ?

$3500 for the 42 inch thats a bargain compared to 12 months ago.... What is the forecast for the price in 12 mths time?

Since I just bought mine, it's now a moot point for me. My friend was right: either buy now (a month ago) or don't bother till the new year. This technology was always expected to get better and cheaper over time, so you can virtually wait forever and drool over the perfect unit without actually buying one - until you raise the bar again.

The one thing I can't believe is I've hardly had my PV42500A for two weeks, yet it feels like I've had it for months. From that point of view, my suggestion to those who are still waiting and yet to get their first >40 inch widescreen TVs is to WAIT NO FURTHER, DO IT NOW!

Funnily enough, I've been watching digital TV far more and have yet to really play DVDs on it. The non ratings season can't come soon enough! :blink:

The non ratings season can't come soon enough!  :blink:

WTF? Most Aussie FTA television is crap anyway.

Only some shows are worth watching.

And when the fark are the manufacturers going to come out with a DVD recorder with an integrated Digital Tuner instead of an analogue one. I believe this would increase demand for DVD recorders like no tomorrow.

I was qouted $3500 for the TV, but $795 for the additional warranty of 4 years. What does your warranty cover RJM and who is it through. The guy reckons that they can't discount the warranty. He is a mate so i sought of believe him. It just sounds like a lot for an additional warranty!

It is your standard NARTA extended warranty. (National Associated Retail Traders of Australia, a combined buying group which include stores such as JB Hi FI, Clive Peeters, Bing Lee, Rick Hart, David Jones, etc..)

It extends the Manufacturer's Warranty by four years so it would cover things the factory warranted and exclude things they excluded. In addition it has a Lemon Clause which basically says if they can't repair it after four goes at the same fault they will replace it. It is transferable and has a 21 day free look clause.

The extra four year Panasonic Warranty costs $900 for plasmas up to 45 inch and $1550 for plasmas above 45 inch. It can be purchased anytime within the first twelve months.

My purchase was for both the plasma and the warranty at the same time. This was prior to the reported $4499 RRP, i.e. an RRP of $4999 (Pana web site still says $4999). I can't figure your mate's pricing but hopefully I have given you some of the missing pieces and you can work it out.

It is your standard NARTA extended warranty. (National Associated Retail Traders of Australia, a combined buying group which include stores such as JB Hi FI, Clive Peeters, Bing Lee, Rick Hart, David Jones, etc..)

It extends the Manufacturer's Warranty by four years so it would cover things the factory warranted and exclude things they excluded. In addition it has a Lemon Clause which basically says if they can't repair it after four goes at the same fault they will replace it. It is transferable and has a 21 day free look clause.

The extra four year Panasonic Warranty costs $900 for plasmas up to 45 inch and $1550 for plasmas above 45 inch. It can be purchased anytime within the first twelve months.

My purchase was for both the plasma and the warranty at the same time. This was prior to the reported $4499 RRP, i.e. an RRP of $4999 (Pana web site still says $4999). I can't figure your mate's pricing but hopefully I have given you some of the missing pieces and you can work it out.

Thanks for that rjm. I too rang panasonic & they said that they're extra warranty was $900. Did a bit of ringing, Good guys $399 for 4yrs covering everything, Retravision $499 covering everything. Do you have to buy the warranty through the store that you get the tv through?

Do you have to buy the warranty through the store that you get the tv through?

Guess you could try, although I've never seen it actively promoted. Ring around. Bet they quote you a motza as a separate purchase, that is if they are prepared to do it after missing out on the plasma sale. :blink:

You could try the insurance companies but I doubt it is really available in the domestic market. It is available in the commercial world as electronic cover but is expensive and somewhat restrictive.

Guess you could try, although I've never seen it actively promoted. Ring around. Bet they quote you a motza as a separate purchase, that is if they are prepared to do it after missing out on the plasma sale. :P

You could try the insurance companies but I doubt it is really available in the domestic market. It is available in the commercial world as electronic cover but is expensive and somewhat restrictive.

Does your household insurance cover breakages etc..

If so, then if you have a dodgy pixel or two take a hammer to it :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked mine up from Good Guys in Rockdale for 5400. I told them about the Martin Plce price and they just matched it (less the $13). I was happy with this price so didn't try to go any lower. Of course they told me this was their cost !!!

Seems to be about a 2 week wait for them at the moment. Pana must be moving a heap.

First post, however been lurking for a while.

Just bought a package of Panasonic stuff - 50" 500A, EH60 DVR, HT17 Home Theatre, S97 DVD Player and Humax STB from Bing Lee Castle Hill. Paid $8,300 on CC (+ 2% surcharge cos I used AMEX). Everything with 4 yr ext warranty. Good delivery rates. Ordered late Tuesday, delivered about 2 hours ago (could have had it yesterday if I was going to be home). Depending how you want to split it, about $5,400 for the 50" + $316 for the ext warranty, and pretty good prices on the rest. Don't know if they'd do the same if not in a package, but you never know. Good service too, compared to 2 JB HiFis, HN Martin Place and GG.

With $500 cashback from Pana, I'm telling myself I got the 50" for $4,900 :blink:

Many thanks to all that post here for showing what sort of deals can be done - saved me $1,200 on the best price from JB HiFi and about $500 on the best from GG.

Off to setup it up now!!!

OK heres my story....

Went up to HN already to basically get one, and the guy told me nowhere in Australia has them in stock, and will not have stock until Late Jan. And the only reason they have it ticketed at $5413 is because thats the last one they have - ie the ticketd price is for the flor model only.

I call BS, but its interesting that he would BS about that, I was ready to lay down cash then and there on it.

So anyone got any suggestions. Should I just find a Good Guys and go the price match option ?

OK heres my story....

I call BS, but its interesting that he would BS about that, I was ready to lay down cash then and there on it.

Really is BS, some will say whatever to get a sale.