SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

G'day,

Yeap, its a SGR jobby I have on trail / loan. The thing has excellent output. Its a down firing 12" Shiva-X ported sub. Big bugger.

So ... the sub is gunna stay even when you swap out the J-Lo for the Kylie?

Just wonderin' if subbie is necessary to fill out the bottom-end of yer new speakers ...

--Geoff

i'd take a guess and say the sub will be more for movies then for music.

I doubt Drizt will need a sub for 2 channel music, but then some people are a little crazy when it comes to bass ;)

John's on the money Geoff. Its for making HT exciting ;)

G'day,

So ... the sub is gunna stay even when you swap out the J-Lo for the Kylie?

Just wonderin' if subbie is necessary to fill out the bottom-end of yer new speakers ...

--Geoff

i'd take a guess and say the sub will be more for movies then for music.

I doubt Drizt will need a sub for 2 channel music, but then some people are a little crazy when it comes to bass :D

Hey Drizt

since you have the twin 10's turn the sub off, set the processor to full range on your mains and redirect LFE to the mains...

sit back and enjoy.

You'll discover why i haven't ordered any subs yet.

Mind you those corner 15's are very tempting

G'day,

So is there a frequency range fer yer new speakers? How low do they go?

--Geoff

Almost flat from 20-20k (not sure by what margin). As far as loudness: very! The pair I listened to handled 110 dB+ with very very little distortion. Although the new sl's might not be as clean in the bass at ridiculous levels with only the 1 driver (as more excursion is therefore required).

Aaron, are the bass units finished in the same acrylic compound or have they been painted by Harry? If so, how different do the finishes look?

Also what are your room dimensions?

Aaron, are the bass units finished in the same acrylic compound or have they been painted by Harry? If so, how different do the finishes look?

Also what are your room dimensions?

The bass units I have on loan are the usual harry finished ones (ie not the acrylic compound).

My room is 4.7m wide by 7.5 deep (not sure on height. The rear of the room is the stairs area, and the rear right opens up into the dinning room, which then opens up into the kitchen which is adjacent to the listening room (dividing internal wall). I.E. its pretty big ;)

Hey Drizt

since you have the twin 10's turn the sub off, set the processor to full range on your mains and redirect LFE to the mains...

sit back and enjoy.

You'll discover why i haven't ordered any subs yet.

Mind you those corner 15's are very tempting

Yeah I remember hour easily your Octagons handled doing the 0.1 channel. No strain, no stress. Still I like have separate speakers for each discrete channel.

G'day,

So is there a frequency range fer yer new speakers? How low do they go?

--Geoff

They go as low as the Octagons / MT3a's go. 20Hz-20kHz (and probably beyond, not sure of the exact range, but it covers the important audible range ;) )

Ordinarily adding more drivers doesn't by itself add to the bass extension, it simply adds more headroom / power handling. With more headroom / power handling you could if you choose to apply EQ to get more extension.

Where are the heart icons... cause im in love :P

Here are some more pics for those interested.

With my inability to man a camera I have botched most of these pictures. The flash makes it possible to see through the speaker grills which you can't do in normal light. O ... and ignore the finger smudges on the speakers...

P1222879.jpg

P1222880.jpg

P1222888.jpg

?action=view&current=P1222888.jpg

?action=view&current=P1222880.jpg

Edited by Drizt

caressing them eh??:P

hehe, they got a laugh out of me. Though, Im afraid to touch them :o

Stuart, Harry and Anne would be very happy to read the two comments below. Thanks again for the kind words guys.

Aaron, Im glad you took those crap flashy pics, because they show up all the flaws with these speakers - NONE!

I want one (or two) :D

Cheers,

Jake

I know it may not be much to many people but I just like the little detail in which the face plate from the tweeter has gone missing and is now fitted.

O damn. Im in love with the MT3a's.

The good thing is the SB3 + Stello DP200 is exceptional as a front end. In conjunction with an extremely accurate and low distortion set of speakers the complete setup is really shining. If only I had the extra coin for the MT3a's. Damn you Grimmie and Young Skywalker :)

Hi there Dritz,

Congrats mate on a superb purchase. The SGR club is a great one to belong to isn't it, and such a pleasure to be be treated as part of a very happy family. The SGR range is mouthwateringly good, from the Big Reds (and silvers) that I first saw to the Octagons (magnificent) and now the MT3a's / MTSL's, they all are so well DESIGNED and manufactured that it is almost impossible to not trust these people to do their very best for you.

I know they did in my case, both financialy and equipment wise , though I must admit to a bit of green-eyed monstering toward the newer mid unit there Dritzy.

You and Aaron have obviously got very specific ideas in what you require, I must admit to being far more take-it-as-it-comes in my planning, with my trust being well rewarded.

So well done to you, I don't think that handing back the double bass will be too easy, but your SL unit is VERY sexy looking and no doubt will be exceptional.

All the best,

Grimmie

PS. Joz,

Yeah, i love the flush-fitting of the tweeter too.

Edited by Grimmie

So well done to you, I don't think that handing back the double bass will be too easy, but your SL unit is VERY sexy looking and no doubt will be exceptional.

Thanks mate. I too am already lamenting the time that I will have to hand back the double bass units. :) It will be a very sad occasion. :)

Congrats Drizt

I really like the look of the MT3SL - great job again SGR

I was also contemplating this type of design for rears, but have hardly watched a movie recently (too busy) so very hard to justify the outlay right now for me.

I think I need to get a better room first - a bigger house is being called for from my dearest so need to save some pennies ......

Sounds like a good outcome Drizt, well worth the wait I hope.

What music are you listening to on them and how do different styles of music compare through these?

DS

I have listened to:

classical (believe it or not)

Rock

Heavy metal

alternative

grunge

tinsy bit of punk (tell no one)

probably a few other genre's i have forgotten (no country and western :))

Everything has sounded better than I have heard it before. Its just completely tranparent / clean. Its how its meant to sound. Of course just my opinion. :)

Everything has sounded better than I have heard it before. Its just completely tranparent / clean. Its how its meant to sound. Of course just my opinion. :)

Drizt, I'm interested to read more on the tweeter and mid drivers of the MT3's. I not familiar with them, they look kinda different.

Who manufactures them, what are their known strengths, etc.

Hi millsy.

Hope you have been well. Hope your actives have been treating you well. Did you end up getting those subs ?

The tweeter is the scanspeak revelator tweeter. Its the same one used in the Magico Mini, Duntech DSM-15 and Whatmough Paragons. Its just had its bass plate removed so that Stuart could better integrate it into the system to his requirements. Stuart would be the man to better answer that question though. Feel free to jump in Stuart at any time that I make a fool of myself :)

The mid range is a new version of the Eton hexacon 5" midrange driver. The phase plug in the middle is actual a heat sink. Anything more than that I do not know, again Stuart is your man.

Stuart has tested oodles of drivers to find the ones that best suit the desired application. Its the old saying, the right tools for the job. Its better to find the drivers that work in the ranges you want them to than having to manipulate them / force them to do what you want. Naturally all of the drivers measure flat and exhibit very low distorion in their pass bands. They also have great polar response and you can tell. They sound great in all parts of the room, some more so than others obviously :)

Hope that helps.

**wolf-whistle**

If I get around to pushing the sale of my gear, something like this might be on my plate next.

Aaron, you can finally update your signature now :)

rippingdragon,

Ill have to have you over some time mate. I would like to get the full curtain treatment done first but thats unlikely to happen any time soon, so we will have to make do. Its still sounding awesome in what I thought would be a very problematic room. Stoked.