SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

hehe, nice. Games used as audiophile auditioning tools, I love it :)

Also got to watch some cat acrobatics to the dismay of their owners.

O yeah, crap. I had forgotten about that. :eek::eek:

Lucy (the kitten) decided to jump up onto the 50" plasma and walk across the top of it.... grrrrr

When it comes to Hi FI, I'm definitely Old School, that means Tubes, Vinyl, Passive Crossovers, and an aversion to all all things digital including ICs, Op Amps, and all that so called modern science guff

Crikey, even my amps are hard wired point to point

Quite obviously, Leading Edge Technology and Application could never compete yet alone improve upon God's Own Kit...right?

Today, after a midweek telephone conversation with Harry, I visited SGR, where I proceeded to make some new friends, and learnt some valuable lessons

No point denying that I drove over with some preconceived ideas of what the MT3s would sound like: a little harsh, somewhat over driven, bass heavy at the expense of the rest of the spectrum, and prone to cause listening fatigue.

After all, I've been around this industry in one form or another for many years and have heard literally thousands of combinations of the best kit available. I should know

I'm a ****head

What I heard was comparable in some areas to the very best I have ever come across, and superior in other areas

Soundstage, pitch, tonality, dynamics, transients, but above all...Engagement

It only took two minutes for me to forget why I was there

I was too busy enjoying the music

Jacintha

Bic Runga

Leonardo's Bride

Patricia Barber

Harry Belafonte

And a rendition of Stevie Ray's Tin Pan Alley that my big ATCs would have bowed down to

In between listening sessions, Harry, Ann, and Stuart showed me through some amazing products and the design and application science behind them. The absolute attention to detail and resolve to be to 100% right is profoundly impressive

I have no doubt when SGR products are unleashed upon the wider Audio world a frenzy will ensue

Thank you so much guys, and Happy Birthday Stuart :eek:

Edited by Nude

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first MT3A experience Nude.:)

Now imagine those same speakers with a world class vinyl front end.:eek: Mind you, Harry's old H-K Rabco TT/linear tracking tonearm aren't exactly chopped liver and hold up very well to most modern offerings.

I am sure some people, make that most people, on this forum thought I was crazy in giving up my former high efficiency speakers and jewel-like Yamamoto SET amplifier to join the "accuracy or bust" brigade so hopefully Nude's voice of experience will go some way towards validating my paradigm shift.

My best birthday wishes to Stuart also. So much wisdom for one so young.

Aaron

Edited by Young Skywalker

... so hopefully Nude's voice of experience will go some way towards validating my paradigm shift.

Aaron

Mate, Im more impressed that you made the decision to break the mould on your own. No need to worry about validation mate. Norpus and JohnA opened my eyes originally to SGR, and then I merely followed in the footsteps of others. I didn't really have any preconcieved ideals to break before taking the plunge. You were well and truely entrenched in your current path at the time so it took much more to make the paradigm shift as you say.

nude please just one more key to the stargate,admit the swans are a much better footy team than the pies and we can all go home.pleeeease,,,,

Guest JohnA

Nude

great to read you enjoyed your visit to SGR and also enjoyed what you heard.

I won't lie, when i first saw the octagons, i said, there is no way they will ever come into my house, then i loaned a pair and the rest is history.

I am looking forard to the day the boys and woman from SGR come pay me a visit with a set of MT heads to try, as i do like the looks better then the octagons, and feel they may be better suited to my tastes.

However i also love the octagons and the mt's will have to realy prove themselves which i am sure they will

Happy b'day Stuart

Nude

great to read you enjoyed your visit to SGR and also enjoyed what you heard.

I won't lie, when i first saw the octagons, i said, there is no way they will ever come into my house, then i loaned a pair and the rest is history.

I am looking forard to the day the boys and woman from SGR come pay me a visit with a set of MT heads to try, as i do like the looks better then the octagons, and feel they may be better suited to my tastes.

However i also love the octagons and the mt's will have to realy prove themselves which i am sure they will

Happy b'day Stuart

G'day John

Saw the Octagon MTMs today but didn't get to compare them with the MTs soundwise

'twould be interesting, but from I what I ascertained today SGR only move one way...forwards, so the MT heads should be exactly what you expect

G'day John

Saw the Octagon MTMs today but didn't get to compare them with the MTs soundwise

'twould be interesting, but from I what I ascertained today SGR only move one way...forwards, so the MT heads should be exactly what you expect

You should hear the Octagons in Johns room :eek:. Its a lovely room. Plenty of bass reinforcement that is not over done in my opinion, sweet through the midrange, and nicely balanced in the top end due to all the soft furnishings and curtains. Im dying to get some curtains in my room to see what difference it makes to both the aesthetics and sound quality.

Thanks for the reminder on this one Nude, going to go listen to some of her CD's on the MT3a's now :eek:

Your welcome Aaron

My fave is Bic Runga with Christchurch Symphony track 5 'Anyone who had a heart'

[ATTACH]6470[/ATTACH]

Thanks Nude re: Bic Runga live in concert.

Let's see if I can find this tomorrow.

Love her voice.

Would love to hear her life in a club somewhere.

I've missed the times she played in Sydney :eek:

k_

SGR need a sign out front that says leave all your preconceived notions here.

Stereotypes certainly exist for a reason. A lot of low efficiency SS powered gear is harsh in the highs and bloated in the bass. But that doesn't mean all of it is, or even has to be.

For those of you yet to experience SGR and who are wondering what all the fuss about, I think their products can be explained by two key points Nude raised. They are 1) SGR's attention to detail and 2) their commitment to accuracy.

I see these two attributes as the contributing factors that have led to the house sound (or lack thereof) developed by SGR. This however, is slightly unfortunate because many people have had experiences with so called "accurate gear" that can sound harsh or bright and often gets referred to as "clinical" and "emotionally uninvolving". I cannot stress how far away SGR is from falling into this camp. I think coming from tube and full rangers helps Nude's and Young Skywalker's experiences with SGR demonstrate just how far they are from uninvolving or clinical.

So how does one explain the discrepancy with past personal experiences and new experiences with SGR? I think this is where their attention to detail comes in combined with lots of knowledge and experience. There are many many facets to accuracy in loudspeaker design. A lot of manufacturers of "accurate" equipment will provide some evidence to show that their equipment is "100% faithful". But on what metrics? So they show you a falt frequency response. Sure looks good.... as a start! But, what about resonance from cabinets, back wave reflections from the inside of the speaker drivers, drivers rigning or breaking up, the ability to produce from 20hz-20khz, transient response, or dispersion? When you start to get these things nailed down and can demonstrate how you've done it, only then can a manufacturer claim have an accurate product.

Unfortunately, the moniker of accurate has been tainted by other manufacturers who haven't considered the whole picture. However, if you can build a system that is faithful to all parts of a signal from sine waves to dynamic swings and transients than why would you expect the system to feel analytical or emotionally uninvolving? Is music from a live Stradivarius analytical or unengaging? Do you think they should alter the shape of a Strad and it's material to give it a different "more pleasing" sound signature?

It's hard work to take all of the above factors in the sound into consideration in a system's design. This is the reason why the preconvied notions exist. Very few manufacturers have the knowledge, technology, or willingness to go this distance. Anyone who has met any of the Ralstons and seen there place of work can more than attest to their ability to do so. For a local mob, the level of technology going into their builds is well above anything I've seen in and above their price range from even the most well established manufacturers.

I think that is why you find so many evangelists for the SGR brand. Not only are they putting together some awesome kit, but they are achieving sounds not thought possible by many from the technology choosen. It is hard to concisely explain in words what SGR are doing and how far above your expectations their equipment will sound (even with the mounting hype on the forum), which is why I think you find many of their owners can't shut up about the damn things! :eek:

SGR need a sign out front that says leave all your preconceived notions here.

which is why I think you find many of their owners can't shut up about the damn things! :eek:

Amazing how 'the crew' seem to impress even die-hard sceptics. I think their belief in what they're doing, and their pure sounds produced, are argument enough.

Well-done Nude, and welcome in.

Grimmie.

Guest JohnA

I tell you what i love the most about SGR

from the first time i ever went there, they made you feel at home. There was never any hard sell. Now i just think of them as extended family. Any question, anything you need they just listen and if they can do, they do. If not they tell you why it won't and give you options.

Now SGR how my.......ooops better not say too much :eek:

Congat's guys , this is why I like diy or my case diy Ikea style ,for the same reason you get to deal direct with the designer manufacture ,seeing a product from grass roots begining and new ideas or a different take on an old one's .

Cheers

Hello All,

Thanks for the Birthday wishes and all your kind words :eek:

Producing high end products in Australia is far from easy, but we are getting there!

We really appreciate your support.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Any time mate

Try this

It's from Angel's Blood

Abbey plays in Melbourne semi regularly, mostly with Paul Mac

www.abbydobson.com

Thanks mate. Ill have to look into it.

I love the Paul Mac / Daniel Johns - The Dissociatives .... althought the recording is compressed, I love the album. Probably not your style, but I appreciate it.

Any time mate

Try this

It's from Angel's Blood

Abbey plays in Melbourne semi regularly, mostly with Paul Mac

www.abbydobson.com

Thanks for the link Nude.

Brought a smile to both myself and my wife Tracey.

It has dug up some fond memories of playing this song to our son Harry at bed time when he was 2~3 (now 15 and into thrash metal :eek: ).

Cheers, Earle.

Guest JohnA
G'day John

I have no doubt you are correct, it will just come down to personal taste.