SOLD: FS: Halcro EC800 CD/ SACD

On 14/07/2017 at 4:14 PM, Happy said:

dang why couldn't this be some exotic turntable :P

Listening to Perahia's Mozart Piano Concertos on the Halcro now. For the first time since I retired my TT, I can honestly say that, although nothing quite compares to a good vinyl pressing, I don't feel like I'm missing much. Right out of the box, this is that good :popcorn:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

...Right out of the box, this is that good :popcorn:

As expected. With an EC800 I could connect it directly to Halcro dm8 pre-amp and retire 2 DACs and an SACD transport. But it would need to be a cosmetically perfect one, which I'm hoping they will find in the corner of that warehouse.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I saw this thread minutes after it appeared Gremrock old buddy.  I'm not in need of a new EC800 (mine works just fine) but I am watching with interest to find out what else may be found in the deep, dark depths of this warehouse in Adelaide.

4 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I saw this thread minutes after it appeared Gremrock old buddy.  I'm not in need of a new EC800 (mine works just fine) but I am watching with interest to find out what else may be found in the deep, dark depths of this warehouse in Adelaide.

Have you also tried Oppo BDP105D by any chance? I understand that Oppo 105 comes with a lot more features (network streaming capability etc) but how about sonic quality? Do you think Oppo is on par with EC800?

Guest Point source

I have just plugged the HALCRO EC800 in and put on what I consider one of the best redbook recordings I have.

Black Orpheus on the TBM 'The Three Blind Mice' label , Sony Music Direct.

I am hearing cymbal and wood detail that was veiled until now.

And as @lemarquis said "Right out of the box, this is that good".

I will try a SACD tomorrow.

@Magenta - Many thanks to Mike for the opportunity to get such a class product.

I was looking for a Marantz and now I don't have to.

regards, Brian

7 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Have you also tried Oppo BDP105D by any chance? I understand that Oppo 105 comes with a lot more features (network streaming capability etc) but how about sonic quality? Do you think Oppo is on par with EC800?

I know many people like the Oppos for music playback.  I am not one of them.  I have heard two of them now, neither of them in my system so I can't say too much about them but I will say that I was not impressed with them either time so I may not be the right guy to ask about them.  Sorry.

• Like 3

Just now, Cafad said:

I know many people like the Oppos for music playback.  I am not one of them.  I have heard two of them now, neither of them in my system so I can't say too much about them but I will say that I was not impressed with them either time so I may not be the right guy to ask about them.  Sorry.

Thank you very much for your feedback. :thumb:

6 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

@cafad you should bring your EC800 over and if it blows me away I might just buy one of these :P

Finally halcro gear fits my budget

I'd say we'll have to hurry, the first lot went pretty quick.

8 minutes ago, Cafad said:

You can borrow my BDP93 if you want to form an opinion in your system :).

I used it as my Cd player for about 2 years before I upgraded to the Meridian.

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

I'd say we'll have to hurry, the first lot went pretty quick.

The price was too good to be true, only it was true. If they'd custom pimp one of those almost finished EC800 they'd sell another one, to me. 

Mine arrived this morning and after a couple of hours of listening all I can say is wow.

If it keeps getting better after 200 hrs I will be in heaven.

Thanks Mike for the great service and the opportunity to finally own a bit of audiophile gear.

• Like 2