Vintage high efficiency speakers

Waiting for Little tube amplifier only 4watts  and was planning to use with some  full range drivers i have but maybe some high efficient vintage speakers would be an good option.

I don't really have much experience  with vintage staff and don't want to spend  to much (might get bored quickly) up to $500.

Maybe some advice from you guys would point me to some vintage speakers that would work well with 4watts and sound OK .

Room is medium size.

below that impulsive buy.

cheers

14.jpg

16.jpg

• Like 2

Actually vintage might not be such a good idea when it comes to high efficiency speakers. Most cheap ones tend to be from the monster receiver era which are the opposite of HE. The good stuff, Altec, some Diatones, Klipsch, early JBL all tend to command prices well over $500. Your most economical way would be some secondhand DIY full range attempts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That amp will only produce 2W before lapsing into high distortion though not audible. You require at least 94db speakers to provide good listening levels. 

Get a pair of Fostex 8" drivers and make some boxes for them and you will get good volume and sound.

A pair of Fostex will cost you around $350 and can be purchased from a Ozzie supplier. They will produce reasonable bass and good volume for under $500. No Xover required. 

Message me for more help if required.  

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

Thanks guys

I have Mark audio Alpair 10.3 in Onken boxes but that its not efficient enough.Anyway i will test when i get the amp.

Thats why i thought about vintage .Would that all staff from 70s like pioneer be any good?.

BTW Mark where you can get Fostex from Ozzie supplier?.

I've built quite a few of 2W and 8W tube amps. The only way to get good volume is with high effciency drivers. Vintage Altecs usually exceed 100db of effciency but are expensive even very second hand.

My DIY Beyma 15" concentrics are 99db efficient. The inner tweeter second is 105db efficient.  With 2W they play very loud. Even my 1/3W (330mW) 1920s tubed DIY amp plays loud through them. 

• Like 2

I see you are in Vic. Open invitation to bring the amp down for a listen on the Beymas. I think you will get a shock (the nice kind) when you hear how loud it will play. Also I can test you tubes if you like.  I'm not far from Frankston just 15mins inland. 

What are the power tubes; EL34s, 6L6s or 5881s?

• Like 2

I've had excellent success with Dayton USA PS220-8 full range drivers. Sound incredible for the price. They're 96.5db efficiency. Cheaper than Fostex too [emoji6]

Available from Parts Express or eBay

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sure thing

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps220-8-8-point-source-full-range-neo-driver--295-346

I use these in my secondary system, which annoyingly sounds better than my main system despite being 1/4 (or less) of the cost. The main can make crap recordings sound good though so I forgive it

Check on eBay also as shipping is often cheaper on there despite it still coming from Parts Express

• Like 1

Yes, with my little 10W Oldchen SEP amp it can reach party levels in a largish second living room. Will be interesting to see how things change when I go to monoblocks and a passive pre [emoji4]

If you're in Brisbane I could arrange a demo sometime.

8 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I see you are in Vic. Open invitation to bring the amp down for a listen on the Beymas. I think you will get a shock (the nice kind) when you hear how loud it will play. Also I can test you tubes if you like.  I'm not far from Frankston just 15mins inland. 

What are the power tubes; EL34s, 6L6s or 5881s?

Amp have two  ECL86 tubes.

Beymas are very efficient but also big as well.I don't think i would get away with it.

• Like 2

Amp have two  ECL86 tubes.
Beymas are very efficient but also big as well.I don't think i would get away with it.

Size of the driver doesn't necessarily determine the level of the ease with which to drive it. Just look at old Altec 604s they're huge yet can be driven by a mere 2a3 SET

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MattyW said:

I've had excellent success with Dayton USA PS220-8 full range drivers. Sound incredible for the price. They're 96.5db efficiency. Cheaper than Fostex too emoji6.png

Available from Parts Express or eBay

HI MattyW

Dayton look good .I was planning some time ago to buy pair but decided to get Mark audio Alpair 10.3 in Honken .But that  driver its not for a small amp.

What enclosure you have for Dayton ?.

BTW that 10W Oldchen SEP amp is that good ?There are lots of good reviews on the net.

cheers

• Like 1

Just now, Happy said:

Size of the driver doesn't necessarily determine the level of the ease with which to drive it. Just look at old Altec 604s they're huge yet can be driven by a mere 2a3 SET

Thanks Happy.

I use to experiment with open baffle and build Linkvitz Pluto clone and few pairs of small full range drivers as well.But this time i  want play a bit with vintage speakers.

I don't want Ferrari:-) .

Pioneer and Sansui have build few good amps and im sure that some of the speakers were not all bad.

Just checked Altec 604 ,it is big:-)

• Like 2

Yes, it's a really incredible amp not even factoring in the low cost. Matching this with the Dayton PS220-8 makes for a cheap a amazingly good sounding system. The only downside is that a quality line switch box costs near as much as the amp. Soviet era tubes also make a large improvement over the Chinese tubes it comes with stock.

The Daytons sound a bit bright and harsh prior to break in though are now my favourite speakers. They take a fair while to break in though.

I have the Daytons in some 60's vintage custom cabinets which unusually for the era are vented. I removed a pair of high efficiency Plessey Rolla Alnico drivers. Amazing sound though just lacked detail. If anyone wants the drivers I'm happy to send for the cost of postage. Would sound great paired with some Air Motion Transformer tweeters I'm sure [emoji4]

Here's a picture of the cabinets

539e70facf3f2ffcdef66abcd223cff6.jpg

7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Yes, it's a really incredible amp not even factoring in the low cost. Matching this with the Dayton PS220-8 makes for a cheap a amazingly good sounding system. The only downside is that a quality line switch box costs near as much as the amp. Soviet era tubes also make a large improvement over the Chinese tubes it comes with stock.

I have the Daytons in some 60's vintage custom cabinets which unusually for the era are vented. I removed a pair of high efficiency Plessey Rolla Alnico drivers. Amazing sound though just lacked detail. If anyone wants those I'm happy to send for the cost of postage.

Here's a picture of the cabinets

539e70facf3f2ffcdef66abcd223cff6.jpg

Maybe that's good option ,Vintage look modern drivers.

• Like 1