Paper machè horns.

Upfront

I’m sure it’s not dodgy, I did mine about 3 weeks ago and it’s looking like it could do with another coat already. [emoji20]
That's mine. Managed to pick the hottest day of the year and got 2 coats on. But 3 would have been good. I took it right back to timber. Did it about 9 months ago and it lasted a month till it started to come off. Hopefully this lasts longer!
  • Like 1

Good idea for stands - will they get the DuraTex finish too?

I found cutting a square end on large diameter pipes an interesting challenge. You seem to have found a way.

Won't be long now, by the looks. C'mon, stop reading those endless SB posts (yawn) and get on with it!

Good idea for stands - will they get the DuraTex finish too?

I found cutting a square end on large diameter pipes an interesting challenge. You seem to have found a way.

Won't be long now, by the looks. C'mon, stop reading those endless SB posts (yawn) and get on with it!

No Duratex on the stands. They're only temporary for testing in the music room.

Pipe is easy enough to get reasonable with a wood saw and a piece of paper. If you wrap the paper around and marry it up where it meets you have a perfect edge. I marked it with a pencil and cut.

Photos for the ball breakers! [emoji13] scary moment drilling holes in something that has taken so long to make! The template was the saviour. af693bebec62ff4751d30c97387e3c3c.jpg25b1dc359fd740e4a61a23a42aff79ba.jpg
  • Like 3

Bendy bolts? Not a lot of room there, by the looks.

Ha! Hoping no-one would notice!

I need to buy some bolts to get it sorted. It's going to make the stand I made to hold them impossible to work with too. Back the the drawing board!

Amazing work Linc
Thanks mate. It's been a really enjoyable thing to make so far. I've learned so much in just a short time. Lots more to learn too. People keep suggesting things and off it all goes again.
As it stands right now, before I've even finished a pair of working speakers, I need to build a new horn mould (350hz this time) better set up for vacuum infusion. My current mould isn't conducive to this type of forming. Also a new box shape for the bass driver. So really everything I've done so far will be redone. We live and learn

6 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Ha! Hoping no-one would notice!

I need to buy some bolts to get it sorted. It's going to make the stand I made to hold them impossible to work with too. Back the the drawing board!

Would a couple of pieces of the construction ply (if you have any left) mounted vertically ~30mm apart with holes the diameter of the magnet (? the silver part) be able to hold it place?

Some threaded rod to make some studs for the mounting? 

Would a couple of pieces of the construction ply (if you have any left) mounted vertically ~30mm apart with holes the diameter of the magnet (? the silver part) be able to hold it place?
Some threaded rod to make some studs for the mounting? 
That's basically what I was thinking but a little more like the T90a fostex I have. 3b41ce221b4dd234757d644ea4e6404a.jpg

Could you screw (hard) some threaded rod into each driver hole, and cut them at flange depth plus ~5mm, so you just use a washer and nut on the front of your horn flange?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Could you screw (hard) some threaded rod into each driver hole, and cut them at flange depth plus ~5mm, so you just use a washer and nut on the front of your horn flange?

Nice SS dome nut and washer would look the goods. Bit of weak threadlock into the drivers for when you (will) want to remove them.

Not sure of thread size Linc but have plenty of M6 Dome nuts & all thread if you need it.

• Like 1