Tools for turntable setup

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

@andyr

I have a few of those but they all suffer the same problem - none of them are accurate.

A builder friend of mine has a super duper level with bubble and digital displays that is calibrated.

He used it to set levels on our stone kitchen bench tops so I thought I'd take the opportunity to check the spirit levels I have using his as a reference.

Unfortunately not one of my levels was accurate and the little ones I was using for TT setup were the worst!

I might have to take note of that. 

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

@andyr

I have a few of those but they all suffer the same problem - none of them are accurate.

A builder friend of mine has a super duper level with bubble and digital displays that is calibrated.

He used it to set levels on our stone kitchen bench tops so I thought I'd take the opportunity to check the spirit levels I have using his as a reference.

Unfortunately not one of my levels was accurate and the little ones I was using for TT setup were the worst!

Small (torpedo) levels of the type sold at Bunnings serve no purpose whatsoever as they are hopelessly inaccurate. A good 10 inch Stabila though is accurate to 0.5mm over 1 metre so comes in handy if you have enough room to use it.

http://www.stabila.com/products/levels/type-81s

@Hergest

Yes I've seen them at Bunnings and they look good however they are a bit big and heavy at 235g.

That's the problem with a level that you can't place over the spindle or is too heavy - they tilt the Linn's suspension.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

@Hergest

Yes I've seen them at Bunnings and they look good however they are a bit big and heavy at 235g.

That's the problem with a level that you can't place over the spindle or is too heavy - they tilt the Linn's suspension.

prey tell.....whats wrong with this....:unsure:

been using this little gem for years as a final inspection and I keep it handy to check when needed...good job i did as i need to do some adjusting...

5900611b73f18_level2.thumb.jpg.14887601425932385e6ccb201f792809.jpg59006130e34df_level3.thumb.jpg.0ba3b7efec7da45b16391697975a6669.jpg5900613de3952_level4.thumb.JPG.06739a0044441327d2a7b44623e55211.JPG59006145b1921_level5.thumb.JPG.b841b2b28bfbbcc4e8f5e3fafe7a1852.JPGFullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.1b1d40440aa959bb10c045c910bc6446.jpg

great for setting up a sondek IMO

Tase

2 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

been using this little gem for years as a final inspection and I keep it handy to check when needed...good job i did as i need to do some adjusting...

I have one of those and use it myself 

Its known as a string line level 

Did not come to mind until it was mentioned 

image.jpeg

thats what i do...including spinning the platter with the belt off..

On a Sondek the plinth can be level but the inner/outer platter assembly slightly off as I have shown.. and visa versa 

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tasebass said:

5900611b73f18_level2.thumb.jpg.14887601425932385e6ccb201f792809.jpg59006130e34df_level3.thumb.jpg.0ba3b7efec7da45b16391697975a6669.jpg

Nothing wrong with it at all as long as it is accurate. If you want to go really minimalist and lightweight then there's always the option of just the replacement bubble as long as you've got a perfectly level surface to make sure the bubble is centred. This is handy for checking azimuth and VTA too due to it being so light.

My laptop clearly needs a wedge under the right side.....

59006cdf409be_bubblelevel.thumb.jpg.bdada576b7325b9d99d10a5f4d21330e.jpg

31 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Nothing wrong with it at all as long as it is accurate. If you want to go really minimalist and lightweight then there's always the option of just the replacement bubble as long as you've got a perfectly level surface to make sure the bubble is centred. This is handy for checking azimuth and VTA too due to it being so light.

That's the point - it has to be accurate.

I actually have 4 of them.  None of them are accurate. I have tried sanding down the plastic casing to adjust them but it does not help.  When flipped 180 degrees they are still out.

I therefore suspect the glass vial itself is not perfectly cylindrical.

How accurate does it need to be?  Of course it has to be close, but there has has to be a point where it is accurate enough for purpose.  I set mine up with a simple level too.    As has been pointed out, the platter may not be perfectly aligned with the plinth (and the tonearm if that is where it is mounted) .  I guess where I am going with this, is that if the alignment is only within 0.xx  degrees, then any levelling between them is a compromise of that same order, and a bubble level of similar accuracy is all that is needed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

How accurate does it need to be?  Of course it has to be close, but there has has to be a point where it is accurate enough for purpose.  I set mine up with a simple level too.    As has been pointed out, the platter may not be perfectly aligned with the plinth (and the tonearm if that is where it is mounted) .  I guess where I am going with this, is that if the alignment is only within 0.xx  degrees, then any levelling between them is a compromise of that same order, and a bubble level of similar accuracy is all that is needed.

Quite right - I guess it comes down to how fastidious you want to be with setup. :)

However you still need to be able to trust the spirit level you are using to decide how far you want to take it.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 6:24 PM, Hergest said:

Avid make a lovely metal one that is accurate. I've checked it with all my quality builders levels and it is spot on.

Alas the price will have a few here foaming at the mouth but as the levelling of a turntable is of such critical importance it was a price I was happy to pay some years ago.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/avid-upgrades-parts-accessories/avid-high-precision-level-with-spindle-hole-45-rpm-adaptor.html

@Hergest

What's the maximum spindle height that the Avid level allows? Can you measure it for me?

42 minutes ago, flanders said:

@Hergest

What's the maximum spindle height that the Avid level allows? Can you measure it for me?

The level on its own can't be used over the spindle, it is meant to be used as a flat level placed at different points on the turntable- platter, plinth etc. However, if you buy the package as I did which comes with a very good 45 rpm adaptor then that allows you to sit the level atop the adaptor when placed on the spindle. The clearance in this case is 15mm.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/avid-upgrades-parts-accessories/avid-high-precision-level-with-spindle-hole-45-rpm-adaptor.html

I have found that a small magnifying device called a linen tester is absolutely essential for cartridge set up. They are available very cheaply on ebay.

linen%20magnifier.jpg

Edited by rossb
  • Like 3

Guest Misterioso
30 minutes ago, rossb said:

I have that found a small magnifying device called a linen tester is absolutely essential for cartridge set up. They are available very cheaply on ebay.

Great idea. What kind of magnification did you choose?

2 hours ago, rossb said:

I have found that a small magnifying device called a linen tester is absolutely essential for cartridge set up. They are available very cheaply on ebay.

linen%20magnifier.jpg

What a great idea!    Question though...  You seem to have folded it back the opposite way and are looking through it backwards.  I suppose the magnification works either way, but some of these devices have LED lights to illuminate what you are looking at, and they would not work with it positioned as you have it.

47 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

What a great idea!    Question though...  You seem to have folded it back the opposite way and are looking through it backwards.  I suppose the magnification works either way, but some of these devices have LED lights to illuminate what you are looking at, and they would not work with it positioned as you have it.

The picture is not mine, but I do use it in the same way. This is the best way to use it. It is quite a small device and I don't think there is an LED version.

3 minutes ago, rossb said:

The picture is not mine, but I do use it in the same way. This is the best way to use it. It is quite a small device and I don't think there is an LED version.

Yep, here -https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8X-Metal-Cloth-Magnifying-Glass-Linen-Tester-Magnifier-with-Scales-ane-LED-Light/262441012211?hash=item3d1ab40bf3:g:Le8AAOSwH71XOpHi

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG